PDA

View Full Version : The Legends of Zelda Series

Davidicus
2006-11-21, 11:05 PM
Well, Maybe I'm havin' a blonde moment, but I'm assuming that with the overhaul on the site's physical appearence, the old thread was lost. And I miss blathering on about Zelda with other people. If it turns out that the old thread was not lost and that I just couldn't find it, then please redirect me.

Regardless, I made this thread before and I hope to talk with others on sneaky approaches to issues throughout the games and such. AND while I love Majora's Mask, I would like to talk about other games as well.

I talk too much. Let's start at the beginning, The Legend of Zelda, the original. Let's start there.

Shadic
2006-11-22, 02:52 AM
The "Legends" of Zelda?

I vote we skip the original Legend of Zelda, and go to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Much more of an interesting title, in my opinion.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-22, 02:59 AM
The "Legends" of Zelda?

I vote we skip the original Legend of Zelda, and go to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Much more of an interesting title, in my opinion.

Pssst! The plural of "Legend" is "Legends", and as there are more than one, the proper plural would be "Legends of Zelda".

Of course, when you put "series" on the end it doesn't work, but..

Davidicus
2006-11-22, 07:58 PM
Reallly, c'mon that's splitting hairs. At the very least we understand the comment.

Besides, I'd agree. ZII was better. The constant Fairy spell transformations and such. Gotta say that it was one of the best. You can't hate the Jump spell + down thrust combo. Or the hunting of "witches" in the town of Saria. Right?

AaronH
2006-11-23, 05:34 PM
Heh, most people I talk to say that Zelda II was the worst of the series. I am glad to see some people share my love for the game.

Of course, links awakening was the best of the series.

Hario
2006-11-23, 05:45 PM
Heh, most people I talk to say that Zelda II was the worst of the series. I am glad to see some people share my love for the game.

Of course, links awakening was the best of the series.

Most of those people havn't even heard of :The wand of Gamelon, but forget that and we will always remember that it wasn't a LoZ game... no stop! if we forget about it, that means it never happend!

Krytha
2006-11-24, 09:38 AM
What? the wand of gamelon? OH NO LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

PaleAngel
2006-11-24, 11:59 AM
No matter how much time has passed, or how awesome the games before or since have been, my money's always on A Link to The Past. It's been in my top 5 favorite video games since I first played it in 1992.

Sam de Cheese
2006-11-24, 12:10 PM
hehe, legend of zelda is awsome, i beat Ocarina Of Time, and it was, and still is, one of the best games i have ever played. Did anyone play windwaker? that was okay aswell, but the best ever has got to be Majora's mask, the Goron's mask was brilliant, i liked the rolling thing. i also played the GBC game, link's awakening, and i thought that was ok. when does twighlight princess come out (in England)?

Beta
2006-11-24, 12:38 PM
Does Super Smash Bros Melee count?
Cause that's the where I enjoyed playing as Link the most.
It's also where he looks the best and where battling ganondorf is the most exciting.:smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-24, 01:13 PM
hehe, legend of zelda is awsome, i beat Ocarina Of Time, and it was, and still is, one of the best games i have ever played. Did anyone play windwaker? that was okay aswell, but the best ever has got to be Majora's mask, the Goron's mask was brilliant, i liked the rolling thing. i also played the GBC game, link's awakening, and i thought that was ok. when does twighlight princess come out (in England)?

8th of December. That's the Wii version, the Gamecube version comes out later.

You may want to preorder it from GAME, though.

Davidicus
2006-12-01, 10:25 AM
Oi, Beta, I'd say Super Smashies counts, If'n it includes Link, Zelda, Ganondork (oooo original), and Young Link, then hell by all means.

If you really wanted to split hairs we could go into Soul Calibur 2 but I rate the game sucks so pshhh.

I haven't been here for a while, if you all who've seen be other threads (see anime alphabet and Anime in general), my computer crashed and still kinda sucks right now, my computer doesn't really want to see OotS itself, can anyone brief me a little, the last I saw is that "Nale" handed Haley a slut suit (no offense:smallredface: ). I crave! Fill me in!!!!

Sorry to fall off topic!

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-05, 02:14 PM
I haven't been here for a while, if you all who've seen be other threads (see anime alphabet and Anime in general), my computer crashed and still kinda sucks right now, my computer doesn't really want to see OotS itself, can anyone brief me a little, the last I saw is that "Nale" handed Haley a slut suit (no offense:smallredface: ). I crave! Fill me in!!!!

Sorry to fall off topic!

Answers about OotS comics since ya can't see them:

The next comic was Haley's many 'selves' discussing what Haley should do, and Haley finally decides that, despite how wierd it is for Elan to act the way he is, she's not going to let her thinking get in the way of her passion for him. And you thought Rogues had Trap Sense?

The comic after that has Nale getting ready for the big date with Haley and giving the exposition for his evil plot to murder her at the cusp of the realization of her romantic fantasies. Suddenly he is attacked by Belkar who can now smell his identy, now that he is not wearing Elan's cloths. Nale quickly charms the halfling, and commands him to kill his former comrades instead. Oh, and to do it while singing showtunes.

After that is the big date: a quiet evening with Haley and Nale alone. Nale almost slips up when he discovers Haley's aphasia and confuses it with a different language. He manages to smooth things over with a promise to 'speak no more' for the entire night.

The latest OotS has the return of Sabrine, who is none too happy to see Nale and Haley in each others arms. She gets drunk and confides anonymously with V, who recommends she take things into her own hands. Sabrine wanders off to do just that. Meanwhile Belkar has caught up with Durkon and is merrily and murderously chasing after the dwarf.

blackfox
2006-12-08, 05:16 PM
Does Super Smash Bros Melee count?
Cause that's the where I enjoyed playing as Link the most.
It's also where he looks the best and where battling ganondorf is the most exciting.:smallbiggrin:Did I ever tell you how much I love you? :smallbiggrin:

I've only ever played bits and pieces of any of the LoZ games, but from the little I've seen of them I can tell they're freaking awesome (of course).

Maryring
2006-12-08, 06:07 PM
Legend Of Zelda is one of the best series ever. I greatly enjoyed the Oracle games. It was nice to see the games link (pun not intended) up like that. And you get to see Zelda, and it had lovely music, and you got to see Din, Nayru and Farore again.

My all time favourite has to be OoT though. That game is simply one of the best games ever made.

Reinforcements
2006-12-09, 12:38 PM
All I can say is, assuming they put Ganondorf in SSB: Brawl, he better actually use his sword this time. That victory pose in Melee drove me crazy.

blackfox
2006-12-10, 10:22 AM
I feel strangely compelled to post this (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/105053) here...

Logic
2006-12-10, 10:39 AM
My parents, being the economically sensible folks they are, never bought a console for me and my siblings, until the Sega Genesis came out (their games were cheaper) which we recieved for Christmas as a family.
Eventually, we recieved a Nintindo 64 as yet another family Christmas gift.
My introduction to Link and his world of Hyrule was Ocarina of Time. While it holds a special place in my heart, Majora's Mask is my favorite.

Athelis
2006-12-10, 02:20 PM
That was also my introduction to the legends of Zelda, although, I really didn't care for Majoras mask.

Davidicus
2007-01-09, 08:10 PM
I'd say that they all have a place in my heart along with the girls at school I stare at knowing I stupidly used charisma as a dump stat (and I wonder why girls hate me, HAH!!)
Anyway, as with all Zelda fans Twilight Princess is high up there now, tho' I ain't that far (gotta love Midna yawning with boredom on your furry back), but I have to say all of them are really good.
I notice that anytime I run into a Zelda game player, they say they "love this game but hate that one (usually wind waker for some reason)" or " hate 'em all except that one" yadda yadda. Well I've noticed that, with myself, my nerdy Zelda researching brother (see MCLOZ, and other sites, he'll be the one claiming to research the games) and my friends that, if I'll get on with it, they hate certain ones until they beat it!!!!
Like I personally didn't like Oracle of Ages (damn Maple) until I beat it. I couldn't figure out the puzzles until my bro bought the guide for both OoA and OoS (bless him) now... I like the game.
Or here is a really good one. I REEAAAALLLLY hated.... Majora's Mask, until I beat it. As a future Game designer, I have to beat all games I own from Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (now beaten, I love it) to the original Final Fantasy (on verge of beating), I hate playing them all, until I beat it!!!

Top that........ oh crud cakes, I have to stop ranting!:smalleek: (sweat drop)

OH! I love it too but what does everyone else see in Ocarina of Time, eh? Just curious!

OO OOO OOOO! Last thing, promise! Just wanted to thank Tokiko for filling me in, I couldn't see the comics but could post (see previous ramble) Just wanted to say thanks babe:smallredface: !...or sir?:smallconfused: :smalleek: Anywho thanks, I can see them now, I own ya! maybe......

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-10, 03:35 PM
Reallly, c'mon that's splitting hairs. At the very least we understand the comment.

Besides, I'd agree. ZII was better. The constant Fairy spell transformations and such. Gotta say that it was one of the best. You can't hate the Jump spell + down thrust combo. Or the hunting of "witches" in the town of Saria. Right?

I'm going to have to say I disagree with you, and so would most of the people I know. Think of it this way. That game was one of the first (maybe the first) to do overhead gameplay like it did, and not to mention the absolute size of the game is huge. Then for II, all they did was go back to a lame side scroller. The best hands down is still OOT. Yes, I am including TP in this, as I got it for Christmas and am most of the way through the game right now. There are some cool features from it though. The mounted combat is a cool feature, but is not the easiest thing to do. Also, there are some sweet weapons in the game that are new such as the massive ball and chain. The armor that takes away rupees instead of hearts is a pretty cool addition too. At first, I thought the wolf bit was really kinda strange, but it has grown on me. But as for OOT, I think it has a way better story, and I think the dungeons are overall the toughest of the series. (can't imagine what the master quest dungeons are like)

Davidicus
2007-01-10, 05:00 PM
Really?:smallconfused:

Hm! Interesting to hear, my brother's always on about the master quest, never played it but on about it! I heard that all they changed was the monster toughness and the dungeons' layouts. Sounded like another ploy to make some cash. I'll still try to get it and eventually afterward, beat it, but OoT was always a little lacks in my fave Zelda list.
Maybe you could explain to me, PGC o' D, why OoT is so popular? You seem to know zelda well enough!!

Or maybe I can get others to join the conversation here on one of my few thread by talking about a game often forgotten, a fave of me and my bro's.........Link's Awakening!!!! NO ONE EVER WANTS TO TALK ABOUT THIS ONE WHYYYYYYYY???:smallmad: :smalleek: :smallfrown: :smallfurious: :smallconfused: :smallconfused:

tgva8889
2007-01-14, 06:56 PM
So far, the only Legend of Zelda game I've played is Twilight Princess on Gamecube. Great game, by the way, though I've heard for the Wii version, they basically took the game map and flipped it over.

I did play a few of the other ones, but I never got very far into them. The games are fun and great, but when you really get stuck on a puzzle, it's just irritating. Like, right now, I've stopped playing Twilight Princess because I'm stuck on the stupid water temple. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go. It's rather irritating.

theKOT
2007-01-15, 12:35 AM
I'm going to have to say I disagree with you, and so would most of the people I know. Think of it this way. That game was one of the first (maybe the first) to do overhead gameplay like it did, and not to mention the absolute size of the game is huge. Then for II, all they did was go back to a lame side scroller. The best hands down is still OOT. Yes, I am including TP in this, as I got it for Christmas and am most of the way through the game right now. There are some cool features from it though. The mounted combat is a cool feature, but is not the easiest thing to do. Also, there are some sweet weapons in the game that are new such as the massive ball and chain. The armor that takes away rupees instead of hearts is a pretty cool addition too. At first, I thought the wolf bit was really kinda strange, but it has grown on me. But as for OOT, I think it has a way better story, and I think the dungeons are overall the toughest of the series. (can't imagine what the master quest dungeons are like)
Several things:
Master quest is the EXACT SAME GAME except for one difference: it takes more hits to kill enemies. There is no special ending, no extra features, nothing.

The best of the series, for me, is DEFINITELY LTTP. No other game ever got so much out of 2d, and no other Zelda game gave me that same feeling or has been played as many times by me as that one. OOT was good, but I didn't have as much fun with it as LTTP or TP(although I have only play about 2/3 of the way through it). Come on, you don't spend HOURS fishing? No? Just me? Okay then.....
TP has some oddities and incongruities, but it is a great and enjoyable game. Boss battle four, ZOMG, boss battle four.

But I would like to ask: What timeline theory do you, the members of the forum, subscribe to? The split timeline theory (http://youtube.com/watch?v=RXN1BF65WjI) or the straight timeline theory (http://www.zeldauniverse.net/content/view/383/421/)? I'm a split man myself. It is the most fun and fits better with the games and manuals and director and creator statements. You?

Reinforcements
2007-01-15, 03:30 AM
Several things:
Master quest is the EXACT SAME GAME except for one difference: it takes more hits to kill enemies. There is no special ending, no extra features, nothing.
Um, that isn't true. The dungeons have different layouts in Master Quest - among other minor things, but that's the biggest difference.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-15, 05:04 AM
..Yeah, seriously, I'm sure I'd remember cows in Lord Jabu-Jabu's stomach on my first play through. And I never got stuck in the Fire Temple in the original.

And the enemies are the same? :smallconfused:

theKOT
2007-01-15, 08:53 AM
..Yeah, seriously, I'm sure I'd remember cows in Lord Jabu-Jabu's stomach on my first play through. And I never got stuck in the Fire Temple in the original.

And the enemies are the same? :smallconfused:
I coulda sworn....
But you're right. Not big changes though. And YES the enemies are the same:

If you've already played Ocarina of Time before, you will most likely choose Master Quest the moment you pop in the GameCube disk. A wise choice. Master Quest, or Ura Zelda, is an alternate version of the original game. The quest is the same, the items are the same, the world is the same, but the puzzles and monsters in all the dungeons have been "remixed." In some cases, the puzzles aren't quite as well-constructed as the original game's -- after all, Ocarina of Time was thoroughly designed and any alternate puzzles created at the time had to have been "second choice." But at the same time, Master Quest is a bit more challenging than the original, which makes it the perfect thing for returning players. Many of the puzzles simply assume that you've finished the game before. You know how to grab a bomb and make a running jump with it and toss it ahead of you to blow open a passage. If you don't, go back and play Ocarina first. The puzzles are the parts that are changed, but I didn't notice the difference and niether did my sister. Meh.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-15, 04:02 PM
You didn't notice the difference?

I'm guessing you didn't really play Ocarina that much, then? The changes are pretty blatant if you have the dungeon layouts memorised, which anyone who's played through at least three times will by now... >.>

I think I managed ten playthroughs before getting Majora.

Jibar
2007-01-15, 04:10 PM
He's right. Them cows in the stomach really took me by surprise. Especially when I hit one and it opened a door.
That was shocker. Physic door-opening cows of acid resistant doom.

theKOT
2007-01-16, 12:00 AM
You didn't notice the difference?

I'm guessing you didn't really play Ocarina that much, then? The changes are pretty blatant if you have the dungeon layouts memorised, which anyone who's played through at least three times will by now... >.>

I think I managed ten playthroughs before getting Majora.
I played it through once, but started like four times and watched it played through something like seven times before MM. Meh. I wasn't as crazy about it as most people.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-16, 03:36 AM
I think my constant playthroughs of Ocarina are why Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are so easy for me. *sigh*

Jibar
2007-01-16, 11:44 AM
I finished Twilight Princess Christmas Eve.
Already started my second playthrough.
I've played through Ocarina of Time so many times, and my sister has watched every single playthrough. So, when she was back from University, she watched me play through Twilight Princess.
We reached the Temple of Time, and I had said about five minutes before in the Arbiter's Grounds.
"It's like the designers looked at Ocarina of Time and said 'More traps. This game needs more traps' and then made this one.".
We both hated the trapful Temple of Time. Stupid designers. Especially when I reached the Boss, and then realised I had forgotten the Boss Key.

Krytha
2007-01-16, 11:51 PM
I am not crazy about OoT at all. Having played WW first, I can't get behind the inferior control scheme of the N64 and the almost painful controller + stick. Maybe when [if = poor :( ] I get a Wii and OoT is on the library, I'll try playing it again with a better controller... but that day is far off.

Stupid Jabu-Jabu. What kind of fish the size of a skyscraper opens his mouth for a minnow?

Dumbledore lives
2007-01-18, 11:04 PM
I love both OOT and TP which I just got for the wii. It is awesome especially the mounted combat and the wii remote for the sword is cool, even though it would be cooler if the wii remotes movements corresponded to your swords. And OOT is still one of my favorite games of all time with awesome levels, mini-quests, and boss battles.

storybookknight
2007-01-19, 01:07 PM
I personally think that the amount of care which went into TP was astounding... and there are some very cinematic moments that are very fun to play.

While Oracle of Time was a great game, it's become pretty dated because of the limitations of the hardware. Majora's Mask had some great art, and some great gameplay... I thought it was pretty neat.

BUT - Link's Awakening is still my favorite Zelda game! Possibly because of nostalgia - it's the first one I ever played - but there's just something about it....

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-20, 01:58 AM
I think I'd still have to say that my two favorites are OoT and LTTP with TP coming next. The two aforementioned games in my mind have the best stories for the series, and are a lot of fun to play. (The whole switching world thing was started by LTTP in the series too). I'd also have to say that I do like the original as well, jsut due to the sheer enormity of the game. I really can't think of another NES game that really goes to that magnitude of playable area. As for Master Quest. Now I have not played it ( I refuse to pay $50 for a game used), but I know that the dungeons are all changed, and from what I hear they're all much harder than the original. Personally, the one that I think would definitely be the toughest redone would be the shadow temple.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-01-20, 02:18 AM
Fun fact: In the Original Legend of Zelda for the NES, it is possible to reach Ganon without ever picking up a sword. It is however, rather difficult.

Davidicus
2007-01-22, 03:09 AM
Ummm.. masked llama. May I inquire as to why anyone may want to do that!!!!???????????

Sure for that challange, but even that seems to be a little overboard.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-22, 06:57 AM
Ummm.. masked llama. May I inquire as to why anyone may want to do that!!!!???????????

The same reason people play Twilight Princess with three hearts, no shield (by burning the Ordon Shield and never buying a new one), the Ordon Sword (unless they need to Master Sword, after which they immediately switch back) and wearing the zora armour at all times.

They're insane.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-01-23, 12:03 AM

Not at all...once you grab the wand its quite easy, its getting the wand that's the hard part...but I assure you, the bragging rights are worth it.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-23, 01:09 AM
We reached the Temple of Time, and I had said about five minutes before in the Arbiter's Grounds.
"It's like the designers looked at Ocarina of Time and said 'More traps. This game needs more traps' and then made this one.".
We both hated the trapful Temple of Time. Stupid designers. Especially when I reached the Boss, and then realised I had forgotten the Boss Key.

...You forgot that key, too?! That's just uncanny. Of course, that dungeon was really linear, so overlooking the key in your rush to get out isn't all that unusual, I suppose.

I also liked the endgame
The fight with Zant was definitely one of the most... unique boss fights in a Zelda game, particularly in light of the preceding cutscene.

The fight with Ganon was just plain epic. I suppose I may have found it even more exciting because, due to poor pre-dungeon planning on my part, I entered the fight with a single bottled fairy and ended up with one heart remaining after Phase II (Dark Beast: Ganon). The last part (Dark Lord: Ganondorf) was slightly tedious, though: It would have been nice if there had been a way to tell if my attacks were actually damaging him (and he simply had lots of health) or if the attacks were mostly distractions until the big finish (like in Wind Waker, where you can attack Gannodorf all you want but can kill him in one shot once Tetra does the Light Arrow reflection trick). Incidentally, does anyone else know which it is? I finished him off with a Chance attack, so I can't tell which it was.

Just two plot-related questions to spec on:
1) Why does Ganon's triforce fade when Link defeats him in this game? Surely being mortally wounded by the Master Sword alone shouldn't suffice to kill him permanently: In OoT, Zelda had to seal him away in the sacred realm, and it seems to me that he "survives" every game except LttP (in which he is slain by a far more powerful version of the Master Sword and is in the Sacred Realm at the time). The most I can think of is that it has something to do with the permanent wound caused by his would-be execution in the Mirror Chamber.

2) When does this take place? Even following the split timeline theory, I can't figure out where to place it. Wind Waker ends with the Triforce expended and the Master Sword left embedded in Ganon's head at the bottom of the ocean, so I doubt TP takes place after that game. It also probably doesn't take place after LttP, since the ending to that game seems so final. As I noted above, Ganon appears to die permanently at the end of this game, but obviously that can't be true or else no games would be able to take place after TP. We've already used up both divergent timelines that the multi-timeline theory states were created during MM, so it can't be on its own timeline (unless there was yet another divergence). All I can think of is that Ganon just ended up comatose for a long time before recovering and returning to the Sacred Realm to plague Hyrule yet again, which kinda puts a damper on the ending. Or maybe Zelda games don't really have continuity (gasp! Blasphemy!).

Alternatively, the fading of the Triforce may have simply meant that Ganon's soul had left that body and returned to its imprisonment (which could in turn further explain why the top-down Zelda games only feature Ganon in monster form: He no longer has a human body). The only question then is why the Sages didn't know that Ganon had the Triforce of Power, but the Triforce doesn't seem to be common knowledge and Ganon's possession of it even less so (really, though, you'd expect a bunch of insubstantial beings of light to do their homework!).

Toric
2007-01-23, 01:09 AM
Link in Link's Awakening will always be the original wind-waker in my eyes. I've always had a fondness for the game-boy Zelda games. I've played LTTP:DX more times than I can count and yet my heartstrings are still pulled when the bird flies off, and I shall not rest until I get Moosh as a permanent ride in either OoS or OoA (Actually never mind, I've been resting from those games for years now, I really oughta start 'em up again).

To be honest, I've never played the original Zelda short of getting through the first dungeon.
Zelda 2 was fun, but I kept skipping items in temples and backtracking until I finally got fed up with it. It was a lot of fun while I played it, though.
LTTP was perhaps the icon of the SNES. If you've owned this system and have not played this game, get your hands on it immediately. Go look for it on e-bay or something.
Ocarina of Time, again, one of the highlights of its system. Great dungeons, great story, and the introduction of both horseback archery and fishing. A huge milestone for the series.
Majora's Mask was genius. It was almost possible to literally know where everybody in the land was at any given time, given enough exploration. Fierce Diety owns, 'nuff said.
Twilight Princess on Wii, currently have only cleared the fire temple. I don't actually own the system I've been playing from, so I'm tempted to just buy the GC version. Introduced sumo wrestling. That's right, sumo wrestling. Who'd have thought?

Jibar
2007-01-23, 11:19 AM
I'm so annoyed that sumo wrestling doesn't crop up again, unless there's a minigame I'm missing.
sumo wrestling a Goron in the Iron Boots was one of the highlights of the game for me.

step07mar
2007-02-13, 11:43 AM
god that game is all good cept where the puzzle to get the master sword just to out of place but i love the spinner spin spin spin all day

Jothki
2007-02-13, 10:35 PM
Link in Link's Awakening will always be the original wind-waker in my eyes. I've always had a fondness for the game-boy Zelda games. I've played LTTP:DX more times than I can count and yet my heartstrings are still pulled when the bird flies off, and I shall not rest until I get Moosh as a permanent ride in either OoS or OoA (Actually never mind, I've been resting from those games for years now, I really oughta start 'em up again).

Moosh is the default ride in OoA.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-13, 10:41 PM
They all pretty much rox my sox!

Alex Kidd
2007-02-14, 01:28 AM
Personally OoT is my favourite just for it's well epicness. Majora's Mask has by far the best story and villain though, I like dark.

TP was awesome though I sincerely hope

That in it's direct sequel we have an older Link trying to find a way into the Twilight Realm to reunite with Midna. He left Hyrule as per Link's habit and the sage's specifically said the link between Hyrule and the Twilight Realm was broken, didn't say anything about all the other lands, worlds and realities Links can go to. A tragic romance also fits Nintendo's habit of having unusually deep and dark plots in the direct sequels.