PDA

View Full Version : Ardent/Constructor Power Choices

Zombulian
2013-04-17, 04:26 PM
Hey guys, so I've always like Psionics, but never looked completely into it. So when I decided I wanted to make an Ardent/Constructor, I had a good idea of how to increase ML and using tricks like Linked Power and Synchronicity, but with the Ardent's pretty severe restrictions on powers known, I want to make sure I pick the right one's for what I'm trying to do.

What I'm trying to do: Constructor, so I'm gonna be focusing on ACs and using the AC Power Armor trick. I also saw the Bureaucrat Wizard Spell Skins thread a couple days ago and it made me pretty happy. So the idea is for some sort of Lawful Neutral Bureaucratic enforcer, with some funny flavor to the powers I use.
The only thing I really have down is that I would probably just put ranks into Craft(Sculpting) and get myself a nice seat inside my power-robit where I can manifest from, but what would I want to be manifesting?

TL;Dr
What Metacreativity powers can you recommend I know?

Zombulian
2013-04-18, 12:58 AM
Bumpity. Made it to the 2nd page with 0 replies and like 10 views :smallfrown:.

Rubik
2013-04-18, 01:26 AM
I don't like ardents at all, but I do like constructors, as well as the metacreativity discipline in general. It's great for thinking outside the box, and for massive utility in almost any situation (that isn't diplomacy, anyway).

Are you using the ardent ACF that allows you to change your mantle powers around? You really should.

My favorite powers are Astral Construct, Psionic Minor Creation (using Linked Power for tactical options), Energy Wall, Wall of Ectoplasm, and Time Hop (and yes, it's not metacreativity, but it's still awesome). Those are my staples for nearly every situation, though I do like using Energy Conversion for blasting, and Gemstone Breath for blasting and battlefield control. Ectoplasmic Coccoon and Entangling Ectoplasm are nice, and Ectoplasmic Shambler is...okay. It's good against low level mooks, or if you can toss out a dozen or so at once, all in the same area.

Beyond that, choose fun powers, such as Control Air, Metamorphosis, and whatever else looks fun. Grab things from other mantles that seem nifty, and you'll be fine.

Vaz
2013-04-18, 05:26 AM
On the other hand I love Ardents. Dominant Mantle is just so abuseable. However, I've not played a Constructor based character; as an Ardent or a Psion. A Psion can get more use out of an Astral Construct due to its greater PP and ability to 'fest its more power versions, and the fact it's more likely to have a Greater 'festing level means it lasts for longer. Still, it's a very flexible power.

Dominant Time Mantle with Linked Metasynchronicity gains you a free action every turn for the sake of 1 PP, or with Bestow Power, the ability to regain 1PP per round for free.

Schism (available at Level 7) is amazing for action economy breakage as well; you can use your Schism'd mind to manifest Linked Metasyncronicity to take a 2 actions a turn. Have fun!

Minor Creation; ever forget that spool of rope? That Ladder? Or that extract of Black Lotus Root (which comes ready made, due to it being an extract, no crafting needed)? Sorted. Linked Metasyncronicity? The long manifesting time is much reduced. Awesome.

With regards to the Astral Construct, Ardents LOVE manifester level boosting feats. Overchannel and Practised Manifester combine so that you can still take a 10 level prestige class that doesn't advance Psionics, and STILL be able to take a 9th Level power. Ardent 9/PrC 4/Ardent +1/PrC+5.

9th level powers can be anything, but my favourite has to be Greater Metamorphosis. Sure there's an XP cost involved, but for those times when you really, really need the Su, and Ex abilities of something. Say... A Gargantuan Wyrm Black Dragon?

Jobs a good'un.