PDA

View Full Version : oil of dispel magic

Stea1k
2013-04-17, 05:28 PM
So iv'e got a question about the spell Dispel Magic and the crafting rules:
Can a character with access to the spell Dispel Magic and the feats Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item create an Oil of Dispel Magic?

I am aware that the oil does not exist in the DMG, as far as I could see, but i would like to know if it is possible without being house ruled in.

I would also like to know which feat, between the two, is necessary for crafting an oil. Neither the PHB or DMG provide rules governing the creation of oils, which has led me to believe it was either forgotten, or the creators of the game didn't want people to make oils at all.

ericgrau
2013-04-17, 05:33 PM
Sure it all fits within the potion/oil rules. You could not select any options on the spell. You are the caster, the object it is applied to is the target, the caster level is determined at creation. So an area dispel would not be possible.

Technically the precise wording of brew potion doesn't grant the ability to make oils, but nobody plays it that way.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-17, 05:33 PM
It's generaly accepted that the lack of making Oils is just a typo.

To answer your question, Brew Potion.

Evard
2013-04-17, 05:41 PM
This would make sunder a fantastic (err ok, slightly less bad) option!

Oil of Dispel Magic + Fighter with sunder = Fighter can target weapons/armor/items and dispel them if they are magical... I think this is the only martial rule for targeted attacks (like call shots but call shots don't exist lol)

Hmmm

Targeted Dispel Magic Scabbard would be a fantastic item. Quickdraw (and houserule you can sheath a weapon as a free action, same as drawing it) + Scabbard of dispel magic + Sunder ....... Yeah

Of course PF barbarian kinda gets this already...

Stea1k
2013-04-17, 05:44 PM
thank you, i was getting confused about that.

Stea1k
2013-04-17, 05:49 PM
the idea i had leading from this seams like a lot of fun, but i wanted to verify:

use the explosive runes bomb, but have the castings wrapped over the area of a flask in the shape of an arrow.

would this be applicable: shoot the arrow at a targets square (beat ac 5 i think)-> flask breaks spilling oil on to wrappings covered in explosive runes-> boom

ericgrau
2013-04-17, 08:23 PM
Dodging flying sourcebooks aside, it only targets 1 spell AFAIK. It's targetted not area.

Acanous
2013-04-17, 08:30 PM
an oil would only target one, correct. It's a very expensive casting of Explosive Runes at a target square, at that point.

Stea1k
2013-04-17, 08:47 PM
Alright. That clears it up, i think.

Fitz10019
2013-04-18, 05:05 AM
Targeted Dispel Magic Scabbard would be a fantastic item

So... you want a scabbard that dispels the magic of the weapon you draw from it?

Similarly, whatever you apply this oil to is what is targeted by the effect. Also, applying oils is usually done to unattended objects, or objects attended by someone cooperative (yourself, for instance).

What is the intended use of this oil of dispel? Trapped doorknobs?

Ashtagon
2013-04-18, 05:37 AM
This would make sunder a fantastic (err ok, slightly less bad) option!

Oil of Dispel Magic + Fighter with sunder = Fighter can target weapons/armor/items and dispel them if they are magical... I think this is the only martial rule for targeted attacks (like call shots but call shots don't exist lol)

The spell in the oil gets cast on the object the oil was applied to. So, that would mean the fighter's sword in the example above, not what the fighter hits with his sword.

You could probably use the oil as a grenade-like weapon to throw at an enemy. And there are probably cases where you could pour it on something that needs to be made non-magical for a time. But you can't use such an oil to make a sword cast dispel on a successful attack.

TuggyNE
2013-04-18, 05:59 AM
You could probably use the oil as a grenade-like weapon to throw at an enemy.

I'm not sure you can even do this, actually; I was just recently pondering the use of potions as improvised splash weapons, but I don't know of any rules for that. Seems weird.

ericgrau
2013-04-18, 10:22 AM
What is the intended use of this oil of dispel? Trapped doorknobs?
You can also apply it to disabled creatures. Whom are often disabled because of a spell. When someone's life is on the line, up to 4 checks are better than one. 1500 gp a pop for max caster level though. 750 gp for CL 5 so as long as you're spending so much you may as well go for max.

The bigger problem is the full round action application time, and move action to draw. That means the person in danger has to wait a round.

Malrone
2013-04-18, 11:51 AM
While it's PF and not 3.5, the Alchemist class can choose an ability that modifies one of their class-feature bombs into a Dispel Bomb. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/dispelling-bomb) Acts as a targeted dispel on the creature that is hit directly, no splash.

It's a weird form of precedent, but there you go.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-18, 02:23 PM
Arcane Turmoil. Lower spell level (and thus lower cost), works as targeted Dispel Magic, and includes a Will save or lose a highest level spell slot.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-18, 02:26 PM
Or if it's an Abjuration ward (Arcane Lock, Fire Trap, Explosive runes) Dispel Ward (SpC) is only a first level spell.

Talionis
2013-04-19, 08:27 PM
Magic of Eberron -- Alchemist Savant can combine low level spells into alchemical substances and poisons. This is all 3.5 available and legal and has several different applications. Higher level spells maybe available at level 5 of Alchemist Savant. You don't even lose a level of casting.