PDA

View Full Version : Awaken Animal Character

sambouchah
2013-04-17, 09:03 PM
I'm rolling an NPC for a campaign I'm Dming for and I want him to be around EL 2-4. And the +2HD doesn't make that easy. I'd like around medium size, and at least one semi powerful attack. Any animal suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Sam

Annos
2013-04-17, 09:15 PM
Phynxkin's are pretty beast for only 1HD :smallwink:

Urpriest
2013-04-17, 09:31 PM
I'm rolling an NPC for a campaign I'm Dming for and I want him to be around EL 2-4. And the +2HD doesn't make that easy. I'd like around medium size, and at least one semi powerful attack. Any animal suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Sam

Do you mean ECL? If the guy is an NPC, that doesn't matter. If you mean EL or CR, the extra 2HD won't necessarily affect CR. Awaken technically doesn't say how it affects CR.

Is this guy intended as someone to oppose the PCs, or a background character, or an ally?

sambouchah
2013-04-17, 09:37 PM
Ally I think. Maybe an opponent later on

Urpriest
2013-04-17, 09:50 PM
Ally I think. Maybe an opponent later on

Hmm alright, ally for a party of level 2-4, medium size, one solid attack (rather than, I assume, a bunch of little ones?)

If a semi-powerful attack can include special attacks, I really like the Dire Toad's ability to grab people with its tongue and swallow them. It will be a little powerful for your range (CR 3 base, the magical beast HD and awakening maybe gives it an extra 1 CR or so, so maybe CR 4), but its most interesting abilities only work on small creatures (though with the Gape of the Serpent feat from Serpent Kingdoms you can use it on Medium creatures as well).

Otherwise, you're looking for something with a single natural attack, Riding Dog is nice, especially if war-trained.

sambouchah
2013-04-17, 10:49 PM
Hmm alright, ally for a party of level 2-4, medium size, one solid attack (rather than, I assume, a bunch of little ones?)

If a semi-powerful attack can include special attacks, I really like the Dire Toad's ability to grab people with its tongue and swallow them. It will be a little powerful for your range (CR 3 base, the magical beast HD and awakening maybe gives it an extra 1 CR or so, so maybe CR 4), but its most interesting abilities only work on small creatures (though with the Gape of the Serpent feat from Serpent Kingdoms you can use it on Medium creatures as well).

Otherwise, you're looking for something with a single natural attack, Riding Dog is nice, especially if war-trained.

Thanks. Also is there a way to have the animal gain wisdom from the spell as well? I want it to work in case a player asks. I like to be able to explain things if anyone wanted to in game

Edit: "want it to work mechanically"

Flickerdart
2013-04-17, 11:05 PM
Thanks. Also is there a way to have the animal gain wisdom from the spell as well? I want it to work in case a player asks. I like to be able to explain things if anyone wanted to in game

Edit: "want it to work mechanically"
Nope. You'll need to perform some shenanigans (such as PAO into something similar with better mental stats) or use Wishes to permanently adjust its Wisdom.

Yogibear41
2013-04-17, 11:09 PM
Most animals have a wisdom of at least 12 due to instincts, how much higher are you trying to make it, and why?

sambouchah
2013-04-17, 11:10 PM
Nope. You'll need to perform some shenanigans (such as PAO into something similar with better mental stats) or use Wishes to permanently adjust its Wisdom.

So I chose a monkey instead(Fluffity fluff fluff). Ex animal companion to a very powerful druid. I decided to give him racial adjustments for monkey and roll his stats. He is now continuing his master's work as a druid bonsai craftsman.