PDA

View Full Version : Uncanny Forethought + Spellsurge

fryplink
2013-04-17, 09:07 PM
Usually, when people talk about Spellsurge they note it as a sorcerer option, because you can't "downgrade" a standard action into a swift action (a silly rule), which reduces it's utility for Wizards (since they don't cast metamagic out of a full action).

Now, Uncanny Forethought lets you cast the UF on a full action, which means that you could pair them with a standard action spell. Which means that Spellsurge could be readily used by a Wizard for it's intended Sorcerer purpose. Also, could this be done with Alacritous Cognition.

Also, (again) I often hear Alacritous Cognition mentioned as the superior feat, may I ask why? Uncanny Forethought works several time more per day, while the the caster level is reduced by two, that doesn't usually matter for most "I need this right now" type spells.

Nettlekid
2013-04-17, 09:55 PM
Although that's quite a good idea, and I think most DMs would allow that, the wording on Uncanny Forethought seems to suggest that the spell you cast isn't made to have a full-round casting time, but it's a full-round to "change and cast" the spell you're using. "As a full round action, cast" is very very similar to, but a little different from, "Cast as a full round action." Compare that to like, the difference between using a full round action to full attack, and getting a full attack on the end of a charge with pounce. Although one result is the same, you couldn't end a pouncing charge with a full round action like Avalanche of Blades. Arcane Spellsurge turns a spell with a casting time of one full round action into one standard action. Uncanny Forethought lets you use a full round action to cast a certain spell. Which is not quiiiiiite the same as casting a spell as a full round action. I think? I'm losing faith in myself, does what I said make sense?

Where's Curmudgeon? He's usually a super to-the-letter rules lawyer that would know what to make of this.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-17, 10:26 PM
Also, (again) I often hear Alacritous Cognition mentioned as the superior feat, may I ask why? Uncanny Forethought works several time more per day, while the the caster level is reduced by two, that doesn't usually matter for most "I need this right now" type spells.

I personally prefer Uncanny Forethought, but I could see the argument: Alacritous Cogitation doesn't have a prereq and gives you full CL. Again, I think UF is much better because it gives you several per day and lets you collapse any casting time to a Full-Round action (mostly convenience, but some shenanigans can result with 100 day casting time Epic spells).

fryplink
2013-04-18, 07:04 AM
Huh. Thanks for the response, it looks like "maybe" is the answer so far. Spellsurge is such a good spell, and it would be cool to play a deadeye mage (true strike/cast + Disintegrate) without burning through all my quicken slots and rod charges.