PDA

View Full Version : What kind of items would Darth Maul have?

Qc Storm
2013-04-18, 01:00 AM
Long story short, we killed Darth Maul.

In an otherwise generic D&D settings.

Don't ask, I don't really know what Darth Maul has to do with Mindflayers, though you are free to take a guess.

We looted his lightsaber (double sword, 2d8, 19-20, ignores DR) as well as some lightsabers from his minions (same stats.) He also had +1 leather armor with +4 wisdom on it (apparently Sith Lords can enchant ability bonuses on armor.)

The game ended there. My DM asked me what kind of items Darth Maul would have on him (didn't have enough time to plan all the loot). They can be straight from D&D, renamed/refluffed D&D items, or just plain homebrewed.

We are a group of level 9. I am a Factotum/Chameleon, we have a Dwarf Crusader, a Dwarf Barbarian/Scout, a Dwarf Cleric and a Warforged Warlock (who is pretty much a droid himself. He shoots laser and has a lightsaber and jetpacks)

Hyena
2013-04-18, 01:32 AM
Really nothing short of his lightsaber and fancy robes. Maybe a holocom. The forceusers are minimalistic like that.

Man on Fire
2013-04-18, 01:41 AM
Some sort of amulet?

Malroth
2013-04-18, 01:41 AM
Keys to an off planet speederbike, a Starmap pointing to where some annoying Cheddar Monks are probably going to show up. and some blackmail material to keep the Trade federation higher ups in line.

BWR
2013-04-18, 01:43 AM
I second the minimal gear suggestion. He certainly didn't seem to have much in the movie. Lightsaber, clothes, holocom. I doubt his speederbike or spy droids or ship are there, so apart from the things mentioned above...maybe a small pack of food capsules. A cred stick?
The lightsaber is where the fun really is. Until it runs out of charge.

Shyftir
2013-04-18, 03:56 AM
Yeah, lightsaber power supplies take a loooooong time to deplete.

Cespenar
2013-04-18, 04:11 AM
A Sith holocron, perhaps, with teachings, rituals, etc. inside? It can initiate a character into the dark side of the force, or something similar.

Ailowynn
2013-04-18, 07:54 AM
I doubt he woul be carrying much, but he does own a good bit. Like holocrons, credits, and electro binoculars. He owns a Sith Infiltrator (ship) and custom speeder bike.

Shining Wrath
2013-04-18, 09:00 AM
The Light Sabers ought to have the +4 enhancement _Brilliant Energy_.

Jedi use mechanical aids to deal with hostile environments - underwater breathing, traveling through space, et cetera. So Maul might have had some gear to help him reach wherever it was you met him.

The Force is like unto psionics, so maybe a Psicrystal.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-18, 11:00 AM
Obviously, the PCs will want to have his sweet six-legged prosthesis (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul#Defeat) that grant a climb speed so anyone willing to give up their lower torso can pretend to be a drider (bonus points if the Dark Side somehow grants divine powers through them).

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120518041059/starwars/images/5/57/DarthScorpionKing-SWE.png

Unless you went with Saturday morning Clone Wars Darth Maul, who just has regular bipedal prosthesis.

Qc Storm
2013-04-18, 02:11 PM
I'll let him know about your suggestions.

We just learned that the lightsaber and armor grant some force powers when worn. The Lightsaber gives you force link, which enables you to equip-unequip it as a swift action. The armor gives you 3/day Force Choke, which deals some damage and a Will save VS nauseate 1 round (Boy I'm gonna have some fun with this, will save nauseate!)

What other force powers does he get? We could put them on other items.

Darth Maul probably has rings or an amulet too. What would they be?

Snowbluff
2013-04-18, 02:22 PM
The Light Sabers ought to have the +4 enhancement _Brilliant Energy_.

Um... they can cut things other than flesh.

Hyena
2013-04-18, 02:25 PM
What other force powers does he get?
Darth Maul prefered to cut his enemies instead of showing off the Force. In fact, I don't recall him using ANY force powers in the movie. He was just an especially talented acrobat with a lightsaber.
Of course, I don't recall rings, robes and amulets granting force powers for that matter.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-18, 02:42 PM
Darth Maul prefered to cut his enemies instead of showing off the Force. In fact, I don't recall him using ANY force powers in the movie.There was a Force push/pull to send a box into a control panel to move a door. He also Force pushed Obi-Wan right in the face into that pit he later fell down.

The scene was never finished, for some unknown reason, but he also was able to jump high enough to follow Qui-Gon Jinn up onto the boarding ramp during the Tatooine escape. Makes no sense to me why they didn't, since they show Maul rising from a crouch after he would have been pushed off of the ramp, then cut to Qui-Gon lying down after he had exerted himself much more heavily. I think Darth Maul had at least one big jump in the big-glowy power station on Naboo, but I'm uncertain.

I don't know what powers he showed in the Expanded Universe, but Wookiepedia does (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul#Powers_and_abilities). The mention of Force lightning against Obi-Wan was in the licensed video game.

Palanan
2013-04-18, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by KillingAScarab
Unless you went with Saturday morning Clone Wars Darth Maul, who just has regular bipedal prosthesis.

In the just-ended Clone Wars series, Darth Maul first showed up with the arachnoid prosthesis, which was reforged (by funky Dark Side rituals) into a hefty pair of bipedal prostheses, clawlike and digitigrade. These were later damaged by Obi-Wan, and replaced with a lighter set of prostheses which were a lot closer to the humanoid baseline.

Point being, all of this was in the Clone Wars series. Which I've watched way too much of.

:smalltongue:

Xerxus
2013-04-18, 04:02 PM
Obviously, the PCs will want to have his sweet six-legged prosthesis (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul#Defeat) that grant a climb speed so anyone willing to give up their lower torso can pretend to be a drider (bonus points if the Dark Side somehow grants divine powers through them).

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120518041059/starwars/images/5/57/DarthScorpionKing-SWE.png

I wish I had never read that, now I'm even less satisfied with the prequels...

Bonzai
2013-04-18, 04:18 PM
Bottle of Dr. Cornelius Evazan's famous Scalp Tonic.
Lint brush
Horn Polish
Sonic Toothbrush
Sleep Mask (in black of course)
Axe body spray, "Dark Side" scent. (Because the only thing that beats astronaut is bad boy Jedi).
Lacey red and black Victoria's Secret Lingerie -Don't ask.
Max Rebo's greatest hits album.
Kindle loaded with "Sith Lore for Dummies"
A worn looking Twi'lek girly mag.
A box of tissues.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-18, 04:24 PM
Point being, all of this was in the Clone Wars series. Which I've watched way too much of.Hmm... I'm fairly certain the six-legged version showed up in somewhere around when Gendy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was airing (not that Maul had anything to do with that), within the Dark Horse comics, bit it was less of a insect or arachnid appearance and more of a platform. Perhaps I'm just confusing it with this version?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s-XSbcPZuH8/T2ZgHkm0FQI/AAAAAAAACZ4/YOO2-ZwPAcQ/s1600/DarthMaulSWV.jpg

From what I have heard, though, CG Clone Wars was fairly good by the point Darth Maul was in it. I didn't know there were two varieties of bipedal legs used in it, just read something about super battle droid legs.

Palanan
2013-04-18, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by KillingAScarab
From what I have heard, though, CG Clone Wars was fairly good by the point Darth Maul was in it.

Well, from a certain point of view. :smalltongue:

The artwork you spoilered shows Maul with the heavy-duty legs, which he acquired midway through his Darth-Maul-is-back sequence. He did like to do the neck-gripping move with the clawed feet.

Those legs were shot out from under him during a fracas with Obi-Wan and some pirates, and Maul received a more standard pair of mech-legs from a clan of renegade Mandalorians. (Why they didn't plant explosives in the new legs is one of the great questions of Mandalorian history.)

As for Dark Horse comics, now there you have me. Never followed that, so the newer Clone Wars series may have riffed on elements the comics had already established.