PDA

View Full Version : PF Switch Hitter Ranger Help

Xander96
2013-04-18, 01:53 AM
I'm seriously thinking about playing this style ranger for a pirate campaign.

What would be better to play? Elf, Half Elf or Half Orc?

Also, what FE & AC would be best to choose? Thanks!

Kilbourne
2013-04-18, 02:14 AM
You might want to check out this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OI2lQ_FPUpnXD4i3sBLgzvgyOV9l43gKL0JM83co7iI/edit) guide to Rangers, specifically the Switch-Hitter build.

And unless you have a specific build-goal in mind, other than 'switch-hitter', that might be the way to go. The only further advice I can give you is to take the Boon Companion feat as soon as possible, and to work together with your pet.

Xander96
2013-04-18, 02:34 AM
Yup. I read it, which is exactly why I want to play the Switch Hitter. The onl problem with that guide is that it's a bit outdated.

And Ty for the boon companion suggestion. I think I will definitely take it.

Kilbourne
2013-04-18, 06:11 AM
Heh, well, lucky for you, a feat-tree doesn't expire over time. The Treantmonk Switch-hitter will always work, but you can break it up if you want - focus more on melee rather than ranged, etc. You can also focus on teamwork feats if you want to have more partnership with your companion.

You could also go for the riding route, and be a mobile artillery, wading into battle with a reach weapon.

genderlich
2013-04-18, 10:19 AM
I would probably be a Human. Here's your feat tree:

Human: Quick Draw
1: Power Attack
2: Rapid Shot
3: Deadly Aim
5: Boon Companion
6: Manyshot
7: Cleave
9: Improved Critical (Falchion)

From there take whatever you feel like, but the critical feats will get you far. If you aren't a Human, take Quick Draw at level 1 and offset all your non-style feats by one slot. But in that case skip Cleave so you can still get Improved Crit at 9.

I think the best companion overall is a small cat. A shark might work for a pirate game, but would probably still be too limited. Ask your DM for plot hints for favored enemies; generally good ones to pick are Humans, Undead, Evil Outsiders, and Magical Beasts.

Xander96
2013-04-18, 11:49 AM
I was considering Half Elf since they would be able to use the Elven curved blade, a pretty nice weapon. Not to mention the multitalented, keen senses, & eleven immunities racial bonuses.

Elven Curved blade has the same crit range as a falchion & is 1d10 instead of 2d4

genderlich
2013-04-18, 01:28 PM
I was considering Half Elf since they would be able to use the Elven curved blade, a pretty nice weapon. Not to mention the multitalented, keen senses, & eleven immunities racial bonuses.

Elven Curved blade has the same crit range as a falchion & is 1d10 instead of 2d4

If you think that's worth missing a feat, go for it. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it's up to you. I mean, 2d4 averages to 5 and 1d10 averages to 5.5 and their other racials are fairly weak, so I'd rather get the feats I want faster. Might depend on what level you start at.

Xander96
2013-04-18, 10:00 PM
I do like the Dual Minded for half elf, as it gives you +2 to your will saves. Pretty nice for a combat class.

I know what you're saying about human, but they're just so vanilla

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-18, 10:13 PM
If some 3.5 sources are available, the least crystal of return (MIC) is cheap (around 300 gp) and lets you quick draw the weapon it is attatched to.

Xander96
2013-04-19, 05:20 AM
No other 3.5 help available. Just PF resources

Also, Dr Standard I was going to take the archery combat style so then that would save me from taking 2 feats, Rapid Shot & Manyshot

genderlich
2013-04-19, 09:34 AM
No other 3.5 help available. Just PF resources

Also, Dr Standard I was going to take the archery combat style so then that would save me from taking 2 feats, Rapid Shot & Manyshot

Yes, those are the feats listed at level 2 and 6 in that progression, when you get bonus feats.

A half-elf is definitely okay. Human isn't absolutely necessary. In fact I'm playing that exact build right now as a non-human amd using a greataxe rather than a falchion, both for roleplaying purposes.. It's just a matter of priorities.

Xander96
2013-04-19, 10:15 AM
I, at first, considered Oread, but then saw the move speed and I moved on from that. What's your feeling on Strix for a ranger in a pirate campaign setting?