PDA

View Full Version : Hide magical aura item

Scarey Nerd
2013-04-18, 04:50 AM
In today's session, my players are going to be travelling through a theocratic country where all magic is illegal, except for clerics of the state deity who obtain special rites to use their spells from the Holy Matriarch. the players are a Spellthief and a Warlock, so naturally they might stick out a wee bit. They are... "friends" with a powerful wizard near their current location, who owes them a large sum of money that he intends to pay off with giving them magic items, so the players will probably want to ask him for something to hide their magical auras. My question is thus: How much do you reckon a thing like that would cost? Are there spells that do it that could be put into an amulet or something?

Ernir
2013-04-18, 04:57 AM
There's a spell for that. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm)

You could do a custom item of it or something, but it's probably not worth it. You can also get a wand, the Spellthief can use it (or even learn it, if they're out of ideas for 1st level spells). Mr. Powerful Wizard could possibly cast it at a high enough CL to last the whole trip.

Scarey Nerd
2013-04-18, 04:59 AM
Mr. Powerful Wizard.

I hadn't actually named him, he was just called "The Court Wizard". Now he is "Mr. Powerful Wizard." Thank you :smallbiggrin:

The spell you linked doesn't apply to people, though, just magic items. It could hide their McGuffins, but not them specifically.

Beelzebub1111
2013-04-18, 05:06 AM
I hadn't actually named him, he was just called "The Court Wizard". Now he is "Mr. Powerful Wizard." Thank you :smallbiggrin:

The spell you linked doesn't apply to people, though, just magic items. It could hide their McGuffins, but not them specifically.

It's a good thing that people don't give off magic auras unless they have spell effects active. Though if you want to hide them from the various other detect spells.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nondetection.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofProofagainstDetectionand Location

Jigokuro
2013-04-18, 05:07 AM
Well, there is Nystul's Magic Aura, a first level spell that lasts for a day per cl that can change any magic item's aura to anything else, including 'none.'
It even withstands Identify if the caster fails a will save, and nothing short of Id even grants a save. Of course, why would someone even be casting Id on an apparently normal item?
So, a wand of that would be dirt cheep. Only 750 per day you'd like each of the 50 charges to last.
Probably not nearly enough to repay the debt you suggest.:smalltongue:

P.S. Given the wording on you post, you seem to imply the characters themselves have some kind of magic aura. That is not true, unless it is your house rule. Only an active spell effect (e.g. a buff) would appear; magic related classes don't radiate magic unless actively doing magic. Though for that matter, neither of those classes even use true magic innately...

Edit: swordsage'd, I had good init but this post was a full round action...

hymer
2013-04-18, 05:07 AM
Why would they radiate magical auras?

Edit: Ninja'ed.

Scarey Nerd
2013-04-18, 05:11 AM
Sorry, I should have explained that, yes it's a houserule, in my campaign if someone has magical power they give off an aura, because magic is, whilst not rare, a little more unusual than standard D&D.

hymer
2013-04-18, 05:12 AM
Since people don't usually radiate a magical aura in 3.5, 3.5 doesn't have a spell to mask such an aura. Since it's a houserule, you'll have to make a houserule spell.

Beelzebub1111
2013-04-18, 05:16 AM
Sorry, I should have explained that, yes it's a houserule, in my campaign if someone has magical power they give off an aura, because magic is, whilst not rare, a little more unusual than standard D&D.
Like I said, the only spell for that is nondetection and and the amulet of proof against detection and location. Otherwise, houserule a spell.

Jigokuro
2013-04-18, 05:45 AM
Thirding the 'you made up something new, so -duh- there isn't anything already made related to it' camp. You'll have to make a new spell; maybe make a new 2nd level spell with the exact same effect as magic aura but targeting people.

Scarey Nerd
2013-04-18, 05:53 AM
Woops... (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Misdirection) Found the spell... Sorry guys, my reading skills failed me :smalltongue: I know I made up the houserule, but I assumed there'd be a spell anyway, since for example good clerics have an aura of good, I figured there'd be a blanket "no more auras" spell.

Valwyn
2013-04-20, 11:13 AM
Thirding the 'you made up something new, so -duh- there isn't anything already made related to it' camp.

Actually, by PHB, people do radiate magic (-duh- :smallannoyed:):

If you concentrate on a specific creature within 120 feet of you as a standard action, you can determine whether it has any spellcasting or spell-like abilities, whether these are arcane or divine (spell-like abilities register as arcane), and the strength of the most powerful spell or spell-like ability the creature currently has available for use. In some cases, arcane sight may give a deceptively low reading—for example, when you use it on a spellcaster who has used up most of his or her daily spell allotment.

It's an arcane spell, but there's no reason why zealot clerics wouldn't have researched a divine version. As for ways to fool it, Hidden Ward (Magic of Eberron 96) could work if you rule that a person can count as "the taget object." Other than that, a Red Robe Wizard of High Sorcery's (Dragonlance: Towers of High Sorcery 22) magic auras can't be detected without a caster level check. Maybe this will give you some ideas. :smallsmile:

Banaticus
2014-03-20, 12:32 AM
Let me see if I have all available options to hide me and my magic items so that there is no aura shown with detect magic (so that a magic roguey character won't light up like a Christmas tree)

22 Int, Caster level 8, Character level 9

Option 1: Extended Misdirection 1/day -- third level spell slot and gives people a Will save vs 2nd level spell, so DC 18 for 16 hours a day

OR

Option 2: All eight first level spell slots permanently burned on Nystul's Magic Aura spells, along with two pearls of power 1 (1k gold for each), renew a different slot one each day, they each last 8 days, eight slots will be: head, face, throat, body (armor), arms, rings x2, backpack
Pearls of Power get used once a week to recast Magic Aura on me and my familiar.

Vogie
2014-03-20, 08:29 AM
Another option, of course, is you use it as a plot device. They get the Insert-Noun of Aura Hiding, which has not been heard of before, and Mr. Powerful Wizard SAYS is permenant... but is actually only for a set number of days (or otherwise hidden time period).

In the midst of a tense suspenseful event, after terrible event has been presented, or even better, when they're getting awarded/honored for being lovingly normal in the face of adversity... it wears off and they light up like Christmas trees.

Lightlawbliss
2014-03-20, 09:07 AM
Woops... (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Misdirection) Found the spell... Sorry guys, my reading skills failed me :smalltongue: I know I made up the houserule, but I assumed there'd be a spell anyway, since for example good clerics have an aura of good, I figured there'd be a blanket "no more auras" spell.

be warned: dnd wikis are not known to have the best material. it tends to be brokenly good or not worth using.