PDA

View Full Version : Oracle village

AngryHobbit
2013-04-18, 08:37 AM
Maybe I'm looking little too much into a one-shot joke, but wouldn't the Lickmyorangeballshaflingarians forget where they live once they leave the Sunken valley?

And shouldn't 2 Lizardfork clerics completely forget about the ressurection after leaving?

Finagle
2013-04-18, 08:38 AM
You're looking too much into a one-shot joke.

Auldrin
2013-04-18, 08:43 AM
You're looking too much into a one-shot joke.
The lizard folk weren't exactly a one-shot joke.

Presumably he kicked out the villagers once he was done because he didn't want them in his private valley, and the lizardfolk bypass the memory wipe by teleporting, as Roy did when banished.

theNater
2013-04-18, 08:51 AM
Maybe I'm looking little too much into a one-shot joke, but wouldn't the Lickmyorangeballshaflingarians forget where they live once they leave the Sunken valley?
Yes, they would. This is less of a problem than you might think, as most D&D villagers never leave their village, much less the region their village is in.

And shouldn't 2 Lizardfork clerics completely forget about the ressurection after leaving?
Teleporting doesn't take them through the memory charm any more than being dismissed took Roy through it.

Silverionmox
2013-04-18, 09:01 AM
Then sooner or later a wizard is bound to visit the oracle and remember everything. The word'll get out.

Olinser
2013-04-18, 09:03 AM
Then sooner or later a wizard is bound to visit the oracle and remember everything. The word'll get out.

The word already is out. It's called publicity - bring your money and I'll tell you the future.

The Oracle stated point-blank that he has a memory charm because he tends to ramble, so the charm ensures they only get the prediction they paid for.

Souju
2013-04-18, 09:12 AM
in regards to the villagers he could be sneaky about it.
"Buy land in here and get a free prediction!"
Prediction: "You will own land in the Sunken Valley."

pearl jam
2013-04-18, 04:39 PM
in regards to the villagers he could be sneaky about it.
"Buy land in here and get a free prediction!"
Prediction: "You will own land in the Sunken Valley."

If they have to purchase the land first, that's not a prediction any more, is it? :smallconfused:

Rogar Demonblud
2013-04-18, 07:39 PM
How about "You won't be paying real estate taxes in the Sunken Valley", because really, how are they going to get the money? If they leave, they'll never come home again.

{Yet another way T. Wolfe is right.}

137beth
2013-04-18, 07:42 PM
Well...what will happen when the residents of the village meet the residents of shouldacheckedamap?

Sweet_Goddess
2013-04-18, 07:45 PM
If they have to purchase the land first, that's not a prediction any more, is it? :smallconfused:

Yes, but the Oracle already only tends to tell mainly the present, not the future anyway, so it would be just like the crooked, lying charlatan that the Oracle is to pull something like that.

Zmeoaice
2013-04-18, 09:59 PM
It's possible that the Kobolds work for him and are exempt from the memory charm. He just gathered him there to spite Belkar. And given how Belkar enjoys making Kobolds into clothing and dishware, they probably agreed.

SadisticFishing
2013-04-18, 10:10 PM
Woah. Strange assumption that he has no way to counteract the memory charm, considering he is a sentient being and might like to leave at some point.

Forikroder
2013-04-18, 11:03 PM
Woah. Strange assumption that he has no way to counteract the memory charm, considering he is a sentient being and might like to leave at some point.

you dont earn XP by sitting at home all day and he needs to get his levels back whenever he dies

FujinAkari
2013-04-18, 11:38 PM
Yes, but the Oracle already only tends to tell mainly the present, not the future anyway, so it would be just like the crooked, lying charlatan that the Oracle is to pull something like that.

Yeah... the Oracle NEVER talks about future events.

He's never said anything about V gaining ultimate power, Haley getting her voice back, Durkon dying, Belkar dying, Xykon going to Girard's Gate, or Elan's journey ending happily.

I mean, sure, he's made -some- predictions about present or past events, but the majority of his predictions are of future events.

Additionally, he has like a 100% accuracy rating, so I really can't figure out how you can call him a liar OR a charlatan.

skim172
2013-04-19, 01:43 AM
I don't actually think it's that huge a problem. See, the Oracle tells a whole bunch of kobolds, "Hey, come live here for two weeks and I'll give you each one million gold pieces." Then they're all told to redeem their IOU vouchers at the entrance to the sunken valley, get it while it's shiny, and poof - no one's the wiser, the Oracle doesn't have to pay anyone, and a village of kobolds is left wondering where they've been for the past two weeks.

They'll probably assume they were abducted by aliens and start a UFO cult. And I'm sure that would delight the Oracle to no end.

theNater
2013-04-19, 09:47 AM
Additionally, he has like a 100% accuracy rating, so I really can't figure out how you can call him a liar OR a charlatan.
Sweet_Goddess doesn't want Belkar to die, and in order to reconcile that desire with the Oracle's statements has decided that the Oracle must be a fraud. As such, she has gone to great lengths to make excuses as to why each of the Oracle's predictions don't count.

Kish
2013-04-19, 09:51 AM
I have to wonder why so many people* think the Oracle somehow cheated the kobold villagers.

We've seen with the lizardfolk and the dragon--and it was confirmed by Word of God that that's what we were seeing--that the Oracle is friendly and respectful to reptiles, he just hates mammals.

*I do not, of course, count Sweet_Goddess among this number. Her reasons for thinking the Oracle cheated the kobold villagers are obvious.

skim172
2013-04-19, 02:50 PM
I have to wonder why so many people* think the Oracle somehow cheated the kobold villagers.

We've seen with the lizardfolk and the dragon--and it was confirmed by Word of God that that's what we were seeing--that the Oracle is friendly and respectful to reptiles, he just hates mammals.

*I do not, of course, count Sweet_Goddess among this number. Her reasons for thinking the Oracle cheated the kobold villagers are obvious.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that the Oracle necessarily cheated the villagers, but in the very possible situation in which the Oracle told some kobolds, "Hey, I need you to come live with me for about a week" and they responded, "Dude, you're just nowhere near cool enough to hang with us," or something in that vein, he had many alternative solutions at his disposal.

Tiktik Ironclaw
2013-04-19, 06:33 PM
I always thought that the Oracle started a legit settlement, considering how well his people get treated in OOTS-land. As to them forgeting their home, I assumed that the kobolds just ordered supplies to be carted to them, then mugged the merchants and threw them out, causing them to forget why they came. As to the clerics, I assume it's the same as Roy; the Teleportation bypasses the charm.