PDA

View Full Version : a lvl 9 trip dervish

SciChronic
2013-04-18, 10:57 AM
help me make one, i'm having trouble finding a good combination of base classes that will give me a enough feats to do so. i'll likely go for using a halberd or guisarme (with short haft feat for the flexibility). i really want to abuse tripping cause my DM wants me to be a really strong character, as i'll be the only one with much experience as a player. if possible i want to have elusive target just so i can counter attack with even more trips when i move around while dancing, so i won't have to worry about tumble checks too much. and maybe karmic strike as well?

dervish choice was for thematic reasons, otherwise i'd just go full on fighter.

so ideas anyone?

current idea:
{table]1|fighter1|WF(scimitar)[human], WF(battleaxe)[CL1], TWF[fighter1], dodge[flaw1], combat expertise[flaw2]
2|fighter2|improved trip[fighter2]
3|fighter3|high sword low axe[CL3]
4|fighter4|mobility[fighter4]
5|fighter5|-
6|fighter6|karmic strike[fighter6], combat reflexes[CL6]
7|dervish1|-
8|dervish2|-
9|dervish3|double hit[CL9], Spring attack[dervish3][/table]
Flaws:
Shaky: -2 ranged attack
Murky-Eyed: roll twice for fighting through concealment

the idea is so use karmic strike while dancing, and not tumble so that i can counter every time i'm attacked with sword,axe,trip,sword (idea from this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick))

Callin
2013-04-18, 10:59 AM
The Knockdown feat would be so cool in this build.

SciChronic
2013-04-18, 01:33 PM
if i could manage a sword/axe combo and go for high sword low axe (battleaxe+scimitar since scimitar becomes a light weapon?) i could hopefully achieve something similar to Jack B. Quick, but i would provoke even more attacks of opportunity by not even tumbling while i dance, and i would get the +4 armor to offset karmic strike through mobility.

now that i think about it, elusive target might not be worth it if i go for karmic strike since i would have a high enough armor to dodge their AoO's. at least temporarily.

aha! i think i might have it, but i'd like the forum's opinion on how i could optimize a bit more. i think i can get away with getting perform as a character's backstory thing, though i might need some some help to convince my DM to give a fighter tumble.

{table]1|fighter1|WF(scimitar)[human], WF(battleaxe)[CL1], TWF[fighter1], dodge[flaw1], combat expertise[flaw2]
2|fighter2|improved trip[fighter2]
3|fighter3|high sword low axe[CL3]
4|fighter4|mobility[fighter4]
5|fighter5|-
6|fighter6|karmic strike[fighter6], combat reflexes[CL6]
7|dervish1|-
8|dervish2|-
9|dervish3|double hit[CL9], Spring attack[dervish3][/table]

to do it, i have to give my character 2 flaws, and i'm thinking of getting Shaky (-2 on ranged attacks) and Murky-Eyed (must roll twice for concealment)

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-18, 11:00 PM
I would suggest Wolf Totem Barbarian w/ Whirling Frenzy for 2 levels, and Martial Rogue for 4 levels. Then Dervish for 3 levels.

Alternatively, Factotum for 3 or 4 levels, Fighter for 1 or 2 levels (if you only go Factotum 3), then Dervish 3. Factotum gives Int bonus to str and dex checks, which includes tripping.

You should absolutely go for Elusive Target, it's stupidly good and the only reason more people don't take it is the pre-reqs suck. But Dervish requires all of its pre-reqs anyway. Cause Overreach is fantastic, and the other two abilities are also strong.

Guisarme is a fine choice, the only better option would be a slashing weapon that hits reach and adjacent (like the Kusarigama in DMG). But then you'd need Exotic proficiency on build with a lot of feat demands already.

Note that Mobility is a +1 light armor property (it grants you the feat). It's in MIC and I think it was printed in an earlier book, too. That can help on the feat costs.

SciChronic
2013-04-19, 02:35 AM
my issue with elusive target is that if i use karmic strike, which i meet the requirements for as well, i reduce my AC by 4. and the overreach effect only works if they miss their AoO, while karmic strike only works if they do hit.

also, if i do use the guisarme, i would probably need short haft, wouldn't i?

third question: if you take 2 levels of martial rogue and 2 levels of fighter, does that mean you get 4 bonus feats? cause if so, you could go martial rogue 4/ fighter2/ dervish3 if you want more skill points, uncanny dodge, and some Reflex save at the cost of some BAB. or martial rogue2/fighter4/dervish3 for higher BAB and Fortitude.