PDA

View Full Version : Binder, Aym and Melee Touch Attacks

Bloodgruve
2013-04-18, 12:20 PM
I've been searching and haven't been able to find the specific answer so here's a new thread...

Aym gives Halo of Fire, which gives 1d6 fire damage on melee touch attacks.

Would I treat this as a touch attack like you would with a touch spell?

How many touch attacks as a full round action could I make at +0 BAB? How many at +6 BAB?

What if I had 2 natural attacks from extra limbs, could I make melee touch attacks with these?

How could I make the most out of this ability?

Appreciated,

Blood~

The Viscount
2013-04-19, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by treat it like a touch spell. It would be resolved like a normal touch attack in that you would use your strength modifier and check your roll against touch AC. At +0 BAB, you could make 1 touch attack. At +6 BAB it becomes hazy. The phrase "with each touch attack" seems to suggest that you should be able to make iterative attacks with it, but it does not say so. Personally, I'd say that you would be able to make 2 attacks. As for the natural attack question, it's grounds for speculation. Personally, I'd say that like with touch spells, you can make a normal melee attack and add on the fire damage with natural attacks and unarmed strikes. Was this what you were referring to when you spoke of touch spells?

Urpriest
2013-04-19, 04:41 PM
By default, a Binder's abilities are Supernatural, and by default, Supernatural abilities take standard actions.

A_S
2013-04-19, 08:16 PM
By default, a Binder's abilities are Supernatural, and by default, Supernatural abilities take standard actions.

I think this is probably the intent, but I understand the OP's confusion; it is worded quite oddly. Normally, if they wanted to say "you can deal 1d6 damage by making a melee touch attack," they'd say it like that (like how Charnel Touch is worded). This "deal 1d6 points of fire damage with each melee touch attack you make" definitely makes it sound like you should be delivering them more than one at a time, or like it should be a rider effect on some other touch attack ability, but Aym doesn't grant any other attacks that are delivered by touch.

Bloodgruve
2013-04-19, 08:40 PM
Its the wording that gets me, it sounds like it could be applied to more than one attack. But TY for the clarification.

Blood~

Stea1k
2013-04-19, 09:23 PM
As far as I understand it, it itself is basically just a bonus applied to melee touch attacks. If it was the attack itself, it would have likely said something similar to:

"In addition, you may make a melee touch attack that deals 1d6 points of fire damage".

Since it doesn't, I think you should be able to apply it to additional powers/attacks that are used as a melee touch attack, such as Chill Touch. So if you have a spell/power/etc. that can be used in 1+ melee touch attacks, I think it would apply to each attack. Even without additional stuff, it should be 1d6/touch fire damage.

The Viscount
2013-04-19, 11:55 PM

While this is true, the ability states that at will one sheathes oneself in fire. I took this action to be the "use" of the ability and the fiery touches to be an effect. Granted, this assumption means that it has no duration.