PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to build a Final Fantasy style Dragoon ?

Daftendirekt
2013-04-18, 02:29 PM
Title says it all. I've always loved the Final Fantasy dragoon -- jumps high, wields a lance, looks badass. The dragon pet isn't a necessary part of the package, but if you can work it in, all the better. So, what's the best way to do it in Pathfinder?

JadePhoenix
2013-04-18, 02:50 PM
Well, that is not a Jumplomancer, FYI. Jumplomancer uses Exemplar to use Jump as Diplomacy.

Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android

Deadline
2013-04-18, 02:56 PM
Well, there's this (http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/dragoon.html).

Alternatively, you pick up the Shocktrooper line of feats, combine with Leap Attack, and BAM! Dragoon.

Xerxus
2013-04-18, 02:58 PM
Well, there is the dragoon archetype for fighters which is supposed to be the dragoon from FF...

But it really doesn't jump very high, and hardly does anything supernatural. Though the lance and looking badass are there.

Baroncognito
2013-04-18, 03:00 PM
You could make a Grippli Ninja/Dragoon with the Jumper trait.

Edit: Never mind, apparently Ninjas don't need the Jumper trait.

So you could just make a Ninja (Scout?)/Fighter (Dragoon).

samuraijaques
2013-04-18, 03:04 PM
i take it you haven't heard of little red raiding hood? basically the definitive "dragoon" build. also one of the highest damage builds in the game

linky (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon)

overall a really great guide, some excellent info even if you weren't interested in making a dragoon

hope it helps

Daftendirekt
2013-04-18, 03:34 PM
Well, there's this (http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/dragoon.html).

Alternatively, you pick up the Shocktrooper line of feats, combine with Leap Attack, and BAM! Dragoon.

i take it you haven't heard of little red raiding hood? basically the definitive "dragoon" build. also one of the highest damage builds in the game

linky (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon)

overall a really great guide, some excellent info even if you weren't interested in making a dragoon

hope it helps

Apparently you missed the [PF] tag on this thread. I know about those and how to do it in 3.5. This thread is about how to do it in pure Pathfinder. Thus, your links are useless.

You could make a Grippli Ninja/Dragoon with the Jumper trait.

Edit: Never mind, apparently Ninjas don't need the Jumper trait.

So you could just make a Ninja (Scout?)/Fighter (Dragoon).

Good idea. Pick up Acrobatic Master and High Jumper, then take dragoon and just ignore the mounted stuff. Simple enough.

Deadline
2013-04-18, 03:40 PM
Apparently you missed the [PF] tag on this thread. I know about those and how to do it in 3.5. This thread is about how to do it in pure Pathfinder. Thus, your links are useless.

I'm fairly certain the link I provided is based off of PF. If that's not the case, my apologies. I'm not very familiar with PF.

Also, try to be more condescending to the next person who tries to help, they'll love you for it.

Waker
2013-04-18, 03:56 PM
I'd suggest Barbarian in place of the dragoon archetype. Raging Leaper and the Greater Beast Totem, combined with Death From Above. Ninja Barbarian man.

samuraijaques
2013-04-18, 04:19 PM
wow, sorry for trying to help. I was under the impression that all 3.5 material was compatible with pathfinder even though the reverse is not true.

while i understand that not all of the information in that guide will be applicable my thought was that with the information you received from other posters about the pathfinder specific content a usable build could be made.

i will refrain from trying help in the future

cheers

Certified
2013-04-18, 04:43 PM
I'd suggest Barbarian in place of the dragoon archetype. Raging Leaper and the Greater Beast Totem, combined with Death From Above. Ninja Barbarian man.

Go on ...

About what level would you say this starts coming into it's own?

Daftendirekt
2013-04-18, 04:53 PM

I dunno, the doubled Weapon Training damage bonus for spears and the ability to attack adjacent with your spear's butt at no penalty are pretty awesome. The Raging Leaper is hardly necessary with the Acrobatics stuff that Ninja gets you, and you won't be getting the pounce from Greater Beast Totem until ECL 14.

Qc Storm
2013-04-18, 08:03 PM
Title says it all. I've always loved the Final Fantasy dragoon -- jumps high, wields a lance, looks badass. The dragon pet isn't a necessary part of the package, but if you can work it in, all the better. So, what's the best way to do it in Pathfinder?

I like Dragoons as well. So much that, as my first attempt at homebrewing, tried to make the class for 3.5. You can have a look at it here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ueBmiZaNOJdshK5a2bG1SoOZIRNvaN7BB5phS6D5Hgc/edit?usp=sharing

Obviously overpowers fighter & friends. I used Tome of Battle as a target power level.

I'll get around to posting it on the homebrew forum eventually. I'll be needing some feedback.