PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Many Wands and Eternal Wands

Garret Dorigan
2013-04-18, 04:38 PM
I have my own feelings on Eternal Wands as a whole, but how does the X/d item mix with an item that works with charges and increases charge use?

More to the point, has this been covered somewhere that I've not been able to find?

Thurbane
2013-04-18, 07:54 PM
I would say that by RAW, it wouldn't work, since the Rod runs off a charge based mechanic.
Eternal Wands, despite their name, in some ways function more as a Wondrous Item than an actual Wand.

Psyren
2013-04-18, 08:36 PM
I would say that by RAW, it wouldn't work, since the Rod runs off a charge based mechanic.
Eternal Wands, despite their name, in some ways function more as a Wondrous Item than an actual Wand.

I disagree - it would work by RAW, because the charge-draining is not required for the wands to function. By RAW, the following happens: you speak the command word, the wands activate, then X charges are drained from each wand (where X is the total number of wands in the rod.)

Because Eternal Wands don't actually use charges, step 3 does nothing - but the magic still comes out because of steps 1 and 2. And because you are still activating the wands, you will use up one of their uses/day.
So if you loaded a rod with eternal wands, you could do this twice in a day before you needed to load the rod with new ones.

Tokuhara
2013-04-18, 08:49 PM
I disagree - it would work by RAW, because the charge-draining is not required for the wands to function. By RAW, the following happens: you speak the command word, the wands activate, then X charges are drained from each wand (where X is the total number of wands in the rod.)

Because Eternal Wands don't actually use charges, step 3 does nothing - but the magic still comes out because of steps 1 and 2. And because you are still activating the wands, you will use up one of their uses/day.
So if you loaded a rod with eternal wands, you could do this twice in a day before you needed to load the rod with new ones.

By this definition: Hello Magical Cartridges for my Artificer Revolvers

Psyren
2013-04-18, 08:50 PM
Given that you'd only use this if you were activating 2-3 wands at a time, I'd consider it more of a shotgun than a revolver.

Tokuhara
2013-04-18, 09:00 PM
Given that you'd only use this if you were activating 2-3 wands at a time, I'd consider it more of a shotgun than a revolver.

TWF + Dual Wand Wielder + Paired 6-Chambered Rod of Many Wands + Duster and Hat = Mage Gunslinger

Psyren
2013-04-18, 10:44 PM
TWF + Dual Wand Wielder + Paired 6-Chambered Rod of Many Wands + Duster and Hat = Mage Gunslinger

It's not precisely a revolver though - every wand in the rod fires at once. That's why I said shotgun. (In addition, it's a full-round action to activate each rod, and they always have different command words, so you can never activate them both at once.)

Finally, the rods can only hold 3 wands each unless you homebrew something.

Magnera
2013-04-18, 10:52 PM
It's not precisely a revolver though - every wand in the rod fires at once. That's why I said shotgun. (In addition, it's a full-round action to activate each rod, and they always have different command words, so you can never activate them both at once.)

Finally, the rods can only hold 3 wands each unless you homebrew something.

Why would they always have different command words?

Arcanist
2013-04-18, 11:24 PM

It's just mechanical fluff. The item by RAW requires a full-round action to activate. Now if you could make a Rod of many Staffs (or some other ways to get Greater Celerity on a wand or something)

Psyren
2013-04-18, 11:31 PM

Because the rules say so. Complete Mage:

After one or more wands are loaded into the rod, they can all be activated by a single command word unique to the rod. This utterance is a complex phrase in Draconic, and speaking it requires a full-round action, rather than the standard action normally required for command word activation.