PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Legend

Pyromancer999
2013-04-18, 05:57 PM
So, in case people have never heard of it, Legend (http://www.ruleofcool.com/)is a thing.

In short, it appears to be a highly customizable, more balanced version of 3.5, with some alterations of course, but not enough that it can't be seen that they're very similar.

However, I've heard things such as:

Legend is nothing like D&D 3.X, and so does nothing to fix it
Legend is a bad 3.X ripoff
Legend is the answer to all of everything that was ever wrong with D&D 3.X
Legend is alright and improves D&D 3.X, but it doesn't solve much

So, given this mix of opinions, I'm wondering if anyone has actually played Legend, or has at least read the rules, can give me their opinions on whether or not it's good and why.

Icewraith
2013-04-18, 06:31 PM
Actually, most if not all of the authors post here, or did before they got their own forum.

Last I saw of the rules it was very positive as long as you buy into the ideas and assumptions the authors explicitly tell you at the start of the rules. If you hate Tome of Battle for making melee overpowered, this may not be the best system for you.

You have to specifically try to build an incompetent character, which is pretty impressive in and of itself.

Aramyth
2013-04-18, 06:35 PM
It's one of my more favourite systems, and really manages to keep all characters on a relatively level playing field. But, it does so by making the characters, especially melee, MUCH stronger than most classes found in 3.X. On the positive side of that, casters are no longer horribly overpowered, and melee characters can actually do things other than, you know, hit things harder.

Grinner
2013-04-18, 08:32 PM
Full disclosure: I've never played Legend.

RuleOfCool's Legend seems like an odd duck. The mechanics look smooth, but they're based on the rules-intensive d20 system and inherit many of its qualities. It definitely solves many problems associated with D&D 3.5, but in doing so, it sort of straight-jackets the game into a specific style.

The idea of vertical multiclassing, in the form of Tracks, was a stroke of genius, though.