PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Constructor PrC, worth it or not?

Rejusu
2013-04-18, 06:04 PM
So I'm currently playing a Warforged Shaper. Just hit level 6 and I was planning on taking him into the Constructor PrC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b). However I'm starting to debate how worthwhile it is. I already took the Personal Construct ACF which gives me an effect similar to the capstone (which I wasn't planning on taking) and most of the better abilities don't really come online until level 4 or so of constructor. Up until which I'm stinging from that lost ML. Maybe I should try and find out how long this game is going to go on for. Or at least delay my entry into constructor until 8th level so I get some 4th level powers and the ability to create 4th level Constructs.

Also question. If I have Boost Construct (which gives an extra menu ability from a menu my construct already has an ability from) can I still sub that for a lower level one? Ie If I have one menu C ability can I then swap the extra menu C special ability for two menu B abilities?

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-18, 06:21 PM
So I'm currently playing a Warforged Shaper. Just hit level 6 and I was planning on taking him into the Constructor PrC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b). However I'm starting to debate how worthwhile it is. I already took the Personal Construct ACF which gives me an effect similar to the capstone (which I wasn't planning on taking) and most of the better abilities don't really come online until level 4 or so of constructor. Up until which I'm stinging from that lost ML. Maybe I should try and find out how long this game is going to go on for. Or at least delay my entry into constructor until 8th level so I get some 4th level powers and the ability to create 4th level Constructs.
Constructor gets some awesome abilities even without taking its capstone, but you're right, the really good ones don't start kicking in until ECL 10 or so, which can make that lost ML a bit of a waste. If you can answer whether the game will go much past that point, you'll have the answer for whether Constructor's worth your time.

Also question. If I have Boost Construct (which gives an extra menu ability from a menu my construct already has an ability from) can I still sub that for a lower level one? Ie If I have one menu C ability can I then swap the extra menu C special ability for two menu B abilities?
If you have a C before boost construct and want CBB, I don't think there's a problem - Boost Construct gives an extra C and the Astral construct rules say you can always substitute two lower-level entries for a higher-leveled one.

But if you have a C before boost construct and want BBBB, I don't think that would fly by RAW, because if you don't have a C-list option, you don't get a C-list option from Boost Construct to break down into two B-list choices (though there's not much of a reason for a DM to disallow it beside pedantry over phrasing).

classy one
2013-04-18, 06:44 PM
Yes to both your questions.

Please remind me what your ACF does again?

Since AC is your main power, the lose of ML isn't that bad and can be made up for with overchannel or practised manifester (or both).

Rejusu
2013-04-19, 05:45 AM
Yes to both your questions.

Please remind me what your ACF does again?

Since AC is your main power, the lose of ML isn't that bad and can be made up for with overchannel or practised manifester (or both).

The ACF allows me to make a predefined construct as a swift action at the cost of Psionic focus. I can change this preset construct each level. Cost my fifth level bonus feat. It's essentially the same as the capstone of Constructor but a bit more limited. Costs a feat instead of an ML and comes online at ECL 5 instead of ECL 16.

Overchannel won't be that great until level 12 when I can pick up talented to offset the damage. If your wondering my feats are Psiforged body, boost construct, psicrystal affinity, and psionic meditation. Psiforged body probably was a suboptimal choice but I like the options it gives.