PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me with my Sublime Chord spell selection!

Larkas
2013-04-18, 06:32 PM
Hello there, Playground! I come to you asking for help with a pretty standard Sublime Chord character. So far, it is only level 12, but the full build is Bard 8/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso +8 (I'm still considering going Bard 9 and drop a level in Virtuoso instead; it seems that Inspire Greatness is better than Revealing Melody). So far, this is my spell selection:

Cantrips
Dancing Lights
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Lullaby
Prestidigitation
Songbird

1st Level Spells
Grease
Inspirational Boost
Invisibility, Swift
Silent Image

2nd Level Spells
Alter Self
Glitterdust
Grace
Whirling Blade

3rd Level Spells
Glibness
Haste
Slow
Alter Fortune (Knowstone)

4th Level Spells
Polymorph
Shadow Conjuration
Solid Fog
Summon Monster IV

5th Level Spells
Shadow Evocation
Shadow Walk
Wall of Stone (Knowstone)

So, what do you think about it? Myself, I'm considering swapping Shadow Walk for Overland Flight, but I'm not so sure, since it is the second best "Bard discount" spell at 5th level (the best being Greater Dispel Magic, which is already covered by a party mate). I'm trying to keep in mind that I should go for the most versatile spells at each level, but let me tell you, choosing them is tough work!

Anyways, I'd also like to know of other spells that might be worth it to learn at future levels, or to at least have a Knowstone of! All help regarding this would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and all 1st party source books are open to me, and reasonable Dragon stuff should be okay too.

Lastly, if you must know of anything else about the character, feel free to ask!

A_S
2013-04-18, 07:00 PM
4th level is a tough one for Sublime Chords, since there's so many great spells there. I would really want Greater Mirror Image, Freedom of Movement, and Ruin Delver's Fortune (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041022a), but it's not like anything you've picked isn't also amazing. Maybe drop SM4 for one of them.

At 5th level, I'm a big fan of Duelward and Greater Blink. I would probably go for Overland Flight over Shadow Walk.

Pick up Irresistable Dance as soon as you get 6ths, speaking of great Bard discounts.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-18, 07:01 PM
Use this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4).

Larkas
2013-04-18, 07:37 PM
4th level is a tough one for Sublime Chords, since there's so many great spells there. I would really want Greater Mirror Image, Freedom of Movement, and Ruin Delver's Fortune (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041022a), but it's not like anything you've picked isn't also amazing. Maybe drop SM4 for one of them.

At 5th level, I'm a big fan of Duelward and Greater Blink. I would probably go for Overland Flight over Shadow Walk.

Pick up Irresistable Dance as soon as you get 6ths, speaking of great Bard discounts.

I picked SM4 because of pure versatility, though it was a tough call giving up FoM for that. I am seriously considering getting a Knowstone of the latter. But that Ruin Delver's Fortune right there? Phew, that is PLENTY of versatility folded into one spell!!! I didn't know of that one, and I think it is worth more than SM4. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I think I will swap them!

Hmmm, Greater Blink is a nice one. I think I might also try going for a Knowstone of it. Duelward is great, but I'm not the groups counterspeller, so at least I don't have to worry much about it. I will keep thinking about Overland Flight, though. I can Alter Self into an Avariel, should things come to that... I don't know. I can also consider a Phantom Steed Knowstone.

And don't worry! I have my eyes dead set on Irresistible Dance! :smallbiggrin:

Use this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4).

Believe me, I considered it! However, as the party main buffer I had to go the DFI route. As such, I'm a Silverbrow Human with Dragonfire Inspiration, Lingering Song, Song of the Heart, Melodic Casting, Words of Creation and Lyric Spell. Only just now have I finished the main feat build. But I might take that at lvl 15!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-18, 07:50 PM
Believe me, I considered it! However, as the party main buffer I had to go the DFI route. As such, I'm a Silverbrow Human with Dragonfire Inspiration, Lingering Song, Song of the Heart, Melodic Casting, Words of Creation and Lyric Spell. Only just now have I finished the main feat build. But I might take that at lvl 15!

Lingering Song can be replaced by a Harmonizing weapon.
Song of the Heart can be gained in place of the Suggestion use of bardic music.

Larkas
2013-04-18, 07:58 PM
Lingering Song can be replaced by a Harmonizing weapon.
Song of the Heart can be gained in place of the Suggestion use of bardic music.

I actually use Suggestion, but I didn't consider the Harmonizing weapon. Hmmm... I'll have to talk to my DM, ask if I can use the Ancestral Relic feat. Thank you very much for the help, Biff!

Hey, I'm here for spells, not build help! :smalltongue: But thanks again! :smallwink:

EDIT: Ack, Harmonizing won't work. I need to be able to stack two performances together, and a Harmonizing weapon will stop the first performance as soon as I start the second.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-18, 08:53 PM
I actually use Suggestion, but I didn't consider the Harmonizing weapon. Hmmm... I'll have to talk to my DM, ask if I can use the Ancestral Relic feat. Thank you very much for the help, Biff!

Hey, I'm here for spells, not build help! :smalltongue: But thanks again! :smallwink:

EDIT: Ack, Harmonizing won't work. I need to be able to stack two performances together, and a Harmonizing weapon will stop the first performance as soon as I start the second.

A Harmonizing weapon only picks up a music for you when you're holding it, so sheathe it before you start your second inspire courage.

Suggestion is bad because they get two saves, one vs Fascinate, and then if they fail that you can try to use Suggestion.

Larkas
2013-04-18, 09:00 PM
A Harmonizing weapon only picks up a music for you when you're holding it, so sheathe it before you start your second inspire courage.

Yeah, that won't fly in my group. :smallfrown:

Suggestion is bad because they get two saves, one vs Fascinate, and then if they fail that you can try to use Suggestion.

Might be bad. Doesn't mean I haven't gotten some quality uses out of it. And I'm not reforming the character I've played for the last 12 levels, so short of "cosmetic" changes (i.e.: changing spells that I selected after we leveled up but before we play again), I'm not really willing to simply forget something my character used to know. My DM might throw books at me. :smalltongue:

Larkas
2013-04-19, 04:14 PM
Reading through Treantmonk's GOD Wizard Handbook I stumbled upon PHBII's Thunder Field. It is considered one of the best evocation spells at its level by the author. It is a level 6 Wizard spell... But a level 4 Bard spell!!! And it's a somewhat versatile BC piece! What do you think about it?