PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Spell Selection by Level?

Czarzian
2013-04-18, 07:08 PM
Just wanted to find out what people on the boards favorite spell selection by level for the Sorc. I'll post mine in a bit but it is pretty basic lol.:smalltongue:

Deaxsa
2013-04-18, 07:42 PM
anything that has multiple uses, ESPECIALLY the shadow spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-18, 07:58 PM
Something to attack each saving throw, preferably in an area. Great 1st level choices are Grease, Color Spray, and Wall of Smoke.

Before you get 2nd level spells, you can do this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4) and probably won't have to worry about careful spell selection ever again.

Czarzian
2013-04-18, 08:06 PM
I wasn't really asking for and optimization point of view just what peoples favorite spells to take as they level. Sorc is my favorite class and I've played a few. I'm pretty up to date on the BEST spells to take for the level I just wanted to see other peoples lists.

If it would make it easier let's just say we stick to the Core Rulebook cheese and no cheese outside of those. Just useful spells. We already know things like Wings of Cover, Flurry, Arcane Spellsurge, and Acane fusion are good. I just wanted a light hearted chit-chat.

Larkas
2013-04-18, 08:10 PM
I'm currently playing a Sublime Chord (so, Sorcerer-like! :smallbiggrin: ), and so far my favorite spell has to be Wall of Stone. There's nothing like compartmentalizing the battlefield into more manageable chunks... Or grounding some specially annoying enemies!

Deaxsa
2013-04-18, 08:39 PM
Have a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4)

ericgrau
2013-04-18, 08:49 PM
It's pretty much the same as wizard prepared spell selection, but without the ability to change it. A sorc knows roughly the same number that a wizard can prepare, though obviously a level behind on the highest level.

Pick spells that are both strong and yet useful in a wide variety of situations. Shadow spells fail horribly at the first criteria. In general it's an unhealthy obsession to get versatility even when it costs you all your spell power and general effectiveness. Instead you get spells like haste and solid fog. Great spells and you can them almost no matter what the foe.

Here's my old sorcerer 12's spell list, which worked very well: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11582455&postcount=10
A lot of it is battlefield control.

Asrrin
2013-04-19, 10:05 AM
I actually happen to have my planned spell path typed out for the sorc I'm currently playing in a campaign. He's only level 2 ATM, but it's imperative to plan your spell choices ahead of time so you know when you need to retrain spells or pick up which utility spells at which levels.

0 (9)
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Prestidigitation
Mage Hand
Light
Resistance
Daze

1 (5)
Nerveskitter
Magic Missle
Grease
Benign Transposition
True Strike

Mage Armor* (Runestaff it)
Sleep* (wand it)

2 (5)
Wings of cover
Mirror Image
Glitterdust
Shatter
Alter Self* (swap for polymorph)
Ray of Stupidity
Invisibility

Web* (Runestaff it)
Invisibility*
See Invisibility*

3 (4)
Ray of Exhaustion
Stinking Cloud
Fly
Dispel Magic* (replace with Greater)

Haste*
Slow*
Shrink Item*

4 (4)
Wings of flurry
Celerity
Dimension Door
Polymorph* (swap for Polymorph any)

Enervation*
Ruin Delver's Fortune*

5 (4)
Arcane Fusion
Baleful Polymorph* (Swap for polymorph any)
Wall of Force
Cloudkill

6 (3)
Planar Binding
Disintegrate
Dispel Magic, Greater

7 (3)
Arcane Spellsurge
Limited Wish
Arcane Sight, Greater

8 (3)
Greater Arcane Fusion