PDA

View Full Version : Book Covers

J0ebot
2013-04-18, 07:55 PM
Sorry if this thread was made already, I can't seem to find a way to search the forums. So I've been buying the OotS books recently, and I've been thinking about the characters chosen for the covers:

Dungeon Crawling Fools: Elan. I don't think the story in this book leaned towards any specific character, I'm not quite sure why he was chosen.

No Cure for the Paladin Blues: Roy. It was Rich's comment on this cover in the book that made me think about the other covers more. Roy had major developments throughout the book. Around the beginning he tricked the team into staying with him, and at the end he needed their help again but gave them a choice. This shows his development throughout this story into a better leader.

War and XPs: Haley. Starting out the book still cursed, she had to overcome many internal issues. This story went on during many events in the book, and she was finally cured in time to step into the leadership role that she would need onward into the next book.

Don't Split the Party: Vaarsuvius. Most likely because of the whole arc with the fiends. She finally reached her lifelong goal, but at what cost? Probably the largest development she's had so far (although her current, related state comes fairly close). Also ends the book finally getting closer to her familiar.

On the Origin of PCs: Durkon. I'm not really sure why he was chosen as the face of the prequel. Any thoughts?

Start of Darkness: Redcloak. The book was more his story than anyone else's, showing a HUGE amount of backstory into his previous life. It also shows his true role in Team Evil.

Snips Snails and Dragon Tails: Dragon? Doesn't matter, this book doesn't tie into the story and therefore doesn't have a major character on the cover. Simple enough.

Now, for the future books:

Current book: Belkar. The final member of the order who hasn't been the cover yet. I feel like his recent developments will continue to expand through the end of the book. Plus, Note: Potential spoilers of things that haven't happened in the comic yet he's supposedly going to die in this one, and I believe it will be a result of a heroic sacrifice at the end, thereby earning him the cover spot.

Later books: Who else is left? I heard talk of 7 books, which I think would mean a book without a gate followed by the final showdown at the last gate. But who could be on those ones? Would the members of the Order be repeated? Maybe Durkon gets a spot on a main-series book? Xykon? Nale? The Snarl? Anyone else have any ideas? I think maybe the whole Order could be on the final book...

Anyone have other speculation on the covers?

Gift Jeraff
2013-04-18, 08:15 PM
There's also Mr. Scruffy and Blackwing, though I'd guess Scruffy will share one with Belkar. I'm willing to bet the 7th book will be white with Xykon. Nale on the cover of a Western Continent prequel.

AdmiralCheez
2013-04-18, 09:12 PM
I think it's the heavily-templated fiendish snail on the cover of Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales, but yeah, it's sort of irrelevant.

Anyway... Yeah, Belkar is the last member of the order to get a book cover. He could very well get this one.

Durkon probably got On The Origin of PCs because... ...it was largely his relationship with Roy that got the idea for the team started. (I don't think that's too much of a spoiler, but it's better to be safe.)

As for future books, I really have no clue. I'm sure once they start drawing to a close, we'll have a better idea. Durkon may get another one in his new form if he goes through significant enough character growth, which I believe is sort of the point of his transformation.

Vinsfeld
2013-04-18, 09:17 PM
Maybe we'll see some other character on this book. Maybe Tarquin or Nale (I know it would be some minor spoiler for someone who doesn't read it online).

On the next books it can be O-chul or Hinjo or Lien if any of them gets more "face time". Also, Xykon. If redcloak got a book, why not Xykon?

Maybe Xykon will go through a character development and stop being evil.

NOT!

Grey Watcher
2013-04-18, 09:35 PM
I think if there's gonna be a Durkon cover in the main series, it'll be the current book, thanks to the whole thing with Malack and all. Of course, I also think that Belkar's death will involve the last Gate. Or Xykon's Fortress-Tomb-Thingy, which is where I'm hoping the final showdown takes place.

Given Blackwing's discovery in the rift, I'm betting that the destruction of the last Gate will not spell instant death for the world like everyone thinks it will. So I figure there might even be 3 more books (Between Gate Book #3, Kraagor's Gate, Grand Finale).

Bird
2013-04-18, 10:38 PM
I think Elan was on the cover of "Fools" because, as Durkon says, he's the heart of the team. Also, that book was the most joke-centered, and Elan best encapsulates the early strips' sense of humor.

Durkon made sense for OtOoPCs because that book gave him a lot of character development, and the book's biggest revelation in terms of plot related to him.

As long as we're on the cover subject, the coloring book had Elan & Thog.

I agree that Belkar and then Xykon is the most likely progression for further books. MitD could be used for a minimalist cover...or maybe we'll see a break from tradition with multiple characters.

Mc. Lovin'
2013-04-19, 02:45 AM
I think if there's gonna be a Durkon cover in the main series, it'll be the current book, thanks to the whole thing with Malack and all. Of course, I also think that Belkar's death will involve the last Gate. Or Xykon's Fortress-Tomb-Thingy, which is where I'm hoping the final showdown takes place.

Given Blackwing's discovery in the rift, I'm betting that the destruction of the last Gate will not spell instant death for the world like everyone thinks it will. So I figure there might even be 3 more books (Between Gate Book #3, Kraagor's Gate, Grand Finale).

I don't think they'll go to the tomb thingy, I think it was shown to give us an idea of just how important it was that Redcloak stole the phylactery; if he hadn't xykon would be effectively immortal

veti
2013-04-19, 07:49 AM
It seemed to me when I first started reading (from the beginning), that Elan was the obvious central figure - like the narrator of the story. To this day I think he's the obvious hero, far more so than Roy.

Why Durkon on OtOOPCs? - is a good question. Possibly because it's a self-consciously 'retro' book, and he's a retro character, with the values and mindset of an earlier generation.

My guess for the cover of the present book would be Belkar - he's had the most development and a fair bit of limelight during the past 200 strips - but Durkon would also make sense, considering. I would guess Book 7 would feature the whole team, without any one character singled out.