PDA

View Full Version : Failed Suggestion Spell

pbdr
2013-04-18, 08:31 PM
So, what happens when a suggestion spell fails? In particular when it's cast without the PCs knowing (as a SLA in this case).

The set up is that the PCs are getting close to a BBEG encounter and I want to set up an ambush that will be a bit obvious in hindsight. I want to "suggest" to one of the PCs that they enter a certain area.

The BBEG has a familiar (a ripoff of Radeachar from the "Dread Empire" series actually) that can cast suggestion as an SLA. The PCs will eb able to see when it's cast and will probably just change in to the ambush (hey, it's what they do normally). But I want to give a bit of a push.

If the PC fails, the suggestion will be to investigate the floating glowing creature, but if they make the save, I'm leaning towards "You feel a magical suggestion driving you toward investigating the glowing creature, you overcome the suggestion and can act normally"....

Callin
2013-04-18, 08:34 PM
works for me. make it more mysterious though and vague and i think ya got it

Jack Zander
2013-04-18, 09:01 PM
Maybe, "You have a strong urge to go investigate the floating glowing creature, but you shake off this urge and are able to act as you wish."

Slipperychicken
2013-04-18, 09:09 PM
From the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Succeeding on a Saving Throw
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.