PDA

View Full Version : +0 Lvl Ajust Lizardfolk

kiryoku
2013-04-18, 10:48 PM
I know just removing the HD,BAB, saves, feats, and skills might not do it but what else would need to be done to balance it out? I mean with all that gone it would lose alot of its power. The attacks are = to daggers so not that greats the natural armor would have to be nurfed like to +2 or +1 or something. Breath holding isn't to great. It has +2str +2 con and -2 int. also take away is weapon and armor pro. if I did all of that would it be close or how far off am I?

SowZ
2013-04-18, 10:52 PM
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Dex
Water Breathing, Swim Speed
+2 Natural AC that stacks with all other Natural AC
Natural Weapons
Monstrous Humanoid

That's good, IMO

Flickerdart
2013-04-18, 10:54 PM
The damage dice isn't hugely relevant - simply having those extra attacks is very valuable.

I would strip off the natural armour altogether, and leave it with +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha (because modifiers should be a net 0), hold breath, skill bonuses, and natural attacks. The result is a very good melee race (compared to, say, Half-Orc).

kiryoku
2013-04-18, 11:11 PM
I would rather remove the +2 to con then give it another spell casting penalty making wis its only passable casting ability. As for the +1 natural armor being a huge issue not sure on that I wanted to keep it for the theme of it it has scales. That normally has a huge +natural armor. I know I want to nerf them a little but not make them worse then the starting races.

+2str, -2 int
+1 natural armor
The breath ability
and claws and bite. 1D4 each.
speaks common draconic bonus languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, and Orc.

what do you think and the natural armor just makes sense because of the scales.

ericgrau
2013-04-19, 05:34 AM
That seems fine. Don't forget the thematic bonuses on balance, jump, and swim. +2 IMO (was +4).

Rogues are going to try to use the extra attacks at level 1, but between the medium BAB, damage MAD, setting up the flank and lost skill points even then it's no big deal. Later only the bite will help and only slightly.

The extra attacks also do something interesting in terms of optimization. For casual builds the damage is only par due to low damage dice. For higher optimization they can get more out of it and it makes the race not suck for them.

Kaerou
2013-04-19, 06:35 AM
+2 Con, -2 Dex Reptiles are tough but not fast.
+2 to Natural Armor
Hold breath, Natural Swimmer (can always take 10)
+2 to Swim, Balance
-2 to all saves vs cold
Natural Weapons at 1d3 each

Arc_knight25
2013-04-19, 07:44 AM
SRD Lizardfolk is just a +1 LA

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, –2 Intelligence.
Medium size.
Humanoid (Reptilian)
A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A lizardfolk begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +0.
Racial Skills: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Jump, and Swim. Lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
Racial Feats: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
+5 natural armor bonus.
Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons, and shields.
Hold Breath: A lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Druid.
Level Adjustment: +1.

I say take away the Racial hit dice. Make the racial modifiers +2 instead of +4. Drop the Natural armour to +2 instead of +5. Give it a -2 to Cha or take away the Weapon and Armour Proficiencies. Keep the rest the same. Looks balanced to me.