PDA

View Full Version : How to fight with a bite?

CyberThread
2013-04-19, 12:21 AM
In what ways, could you use and maybe even abuse a Bite, if you wanted to use it as your main weapon?

ericp65
2013-04-19, 12:27 AM
As what sort of creature?

CyberThread
2013-04-19, 12:28 AM
Unsure, but one that should be assumed is not done with grappling methods

TuggyNE
2013-04-19, 12:35 AM
Generally, the idea with natural weapons is not to try to crank one of them up, but to get as many as you can and use them all. (Possibly with precision damage, or similar.) And, of course, use Amulet of Mighty Fists for reasonably cost-effective enhancement bonuses.

Flickerdart
2013-04-19, 12:36 AM
Well, biting is always an option. You can also use a Mouthpick enchantment (LoM) to wield a weapon in your mouth (and TWF with it and a two-handed weapon, or use claw natural attacks or something).

dascarletm
2013-04-19, 01:07 AM
Perhaps if you could add a poison/disease to your bite... pump con for higher DCs?

KillingAScarab
2013-04-19, 01:20 AM
A bite attack counts as a bludgeoning, slashing, and a piercing weapon all at once. I have had thoughts before on attempting to build a weretiger with the dervish prestige class to take advantage of this, but I don't have any specific advice for trying to do so.

A necklace of natural attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a) (bottom of the article) is better when you have fewer natural attacks to enhance. I haven't done the math, but I believe there's a guide on the forums somewhere stating that an amulet of mighty fists becomes cost-effective with more than 3 natural attacks.

The various versions of hydras get five or more bites.

dascarletm
2013-04-19, 01:27 AM
Step 1. Go kensai

Step 2. Bite as your weapon.

Step 3. Get all the good enchantments that are damage type specific for all damage types Get Throwing and Returning on your bite.

Step 4. ????

Step 5. Win DnD.

thethird
2013-04-19, 04:24 AM
Get a bite.

Get a poison.

Cast venomfire.

Lulz.

Run for your live dodging books.

CyberThread
2013-04-19, 09:52 AM
That isn't a bad idea, I just really don't know of any bites that have a posion that are o or 1 la

supermonkeyjoe
2013-04-19, 10:31 AM
Step 1. Go kensai

Step 3. Get all the good enchantments that are damage type specific for all damage types

Step 4. ????

Step 5. Win DnD.

Step 3 should be: "Take throwing and returning enchantment on your bite attack.

Then step 4 is still ??? because I really can't figure out what the hell that would look like.

dascarletm
2013-04-19, 10:35 AM
With that I wish I could help you.

What is the LA on a Yuan-Ti?

EDIT:

Step 3 should be: "Take throwing and returning enchantment on your bite attack.

Then step 4 is still ??? because I really can't figure out what the hell that would look like.

I fixed it.

Arcanist
2013-04-19, 10:44 AM
Step 1. Go kensai

Step 3. Get all the good enchantments that are damage type specific for all damage types Get Throwing and Returning on your bite.

Step 4. ????

Step 5. Win DnD.

... Is... Is this valid? :smallconfused:

thethird
2013-04-19, 10:45 AM
Since you are cheesing it so much that you contemplate venomfire I will mention that an antrophomorfic large viper doesn't have LA (it only has 2 racial hit die).

Alternatively thri-keen can only have LA +1

supermonkeyjoe
2013-04-19, 10:58 AM
... Is... Is this valid? :smallconfused:

Seemingly yes

Throwing

This ability can only be placed on a melee weapon. A melee weapon crafted with this ability gains a range increment of 10 feet and can be thrown by a wielder proficient in its normal use.

so your bite would have a range increment of 10', The text also specifically allows you to throw the enchanted weapon if you are proficient with it, you're automatically proficient with your natural weapons.

The returning enchantment is to allow you to carry on eating solids once combat is over.

Valwyn
2013-04-19, 11:04 AM
That isn't a bad idea, I just really don't know of any bites that have a posion that are o or 1 la

You could always buy the Yuan-ti graft Poison Fangs. For 8000 gp you get 1d6 Con poison with a successful bite attack. If you didn't have a bite attack before, you get one, but only in a grapple or if your target is helpless. DC is 10+1/2 character level + Con.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-19, 11:04 AM
... Is... Is this valid? :smallconfused:It's in the description of the necklace of natural attacks in that article I linked to.

For instance, a +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons would apply its enhancement bonus as well as the throwing and returning special abilities to one or more of the wearer's natural weapons.They don't even call it by the same name within the description, so you can tell a lot of thought went into proofreading this.

It gives me a headache when I'm trying to think of the verisimilitude of it. Then I think about Raiden in Mortal Kombat and I chuckle at being able to do body torpedoes while shouting nonsense.

Medic!
2013-04-19, 11:35 AM
Be a Half Fang Dragon (go multiheaded, be Ghidora or w/e from Godzilla!) and buy a dragon spirit cincture from MIC...each bite now does 2d4 con drain 3/day

Vaz
2013-04-19, 11:37 AM
Well, biting is always an option. You can also use a Mouthpick enchantment (LoM) to wield a weapon in your mouth (and TWF with it and a two-handed weapon, or use claw natural attacks or something).

Dragons normally cannot benefit from pounce (unless you use the Blue Dragon adaptation which reduces its Bite reach IIRC); does this mean that you can now Pounce as a Dragon?

Flickerdart
2013-04-19, 01:50 PM
Dragons normally cannot benefit from pounce (unless you use the Blue Dragon adaptation which reduces its Bite reach IIRC); does this mean that you can now Pounce as a Dragon?
I think your reach remains unchanged, so probably not.

Sponson
2013-04-19, 01:50 PM
It gives me a headache when I'm trying to think of the verisimilitude of it. Then I think about Raiden in Mortal Kombat and I chuckle at being able to do body torpedoes while shouting nonsense.

Warforged Charger Barbarian Improved Grapple ACF into Bloodstorm Blade with aforementioned throwing & returning necklace.

Grappling Rocket Fists that, due to Imp Grapple, pulls the enemy into your square when you punch them real hard.

Vaz
2013-04-19, 01:52 PM
I think your reach remains unchanged, so probably not.

I'm AFB would it allow you at least iteratives, but not natural attacks?

CyberThread
2013-04-19, 04:07 PM
Warforged Charger Barbarian Improved Grapple ACF into Bloodstorm Blade with aforementioned throwing & returning necklace.

Grappling Rocket Fists that, due to Imp Grapple, pulls the enemy into your square when you punch them real hard.

Can you break that down a little more for me , to easily understand?

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2012/08/lol-rocketgrab.jpg

Sponson
2013-04-20, 08:05 AM
Can you break that down a little more for me , to easily understand?

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2012/08/lol-rocketgrab.jpg
http://loldb.gameguyz.com/images/skins_big_skin_fid_path/blitzcrank-definitely-not.jpg

Barbarians get spirit totems and spirit animals.
At second level you get improved grapple as an ACF if you are a bear-barian (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Bear_Totem_Class_Features)
Improved Grapple says that when you successfully hit someone one size smaller than you, you can initiate a grapple and pull the enemy into your square, instead of you entering their square. Great and dandy so far.

I think 2 levels of Bloodstorm Blade will give you the ability to treat thrown ranged attacks as melee attacks.
At level 4 those ranged melee attacks return immediately.

thethird
2013-04-20, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't it be better the other bear-barian that grants improved grab?

And could that image be spoilered?

KillingAScarab
2013-04-20, 11:09 AM
Improved Grapple says that when you successfully hit someone one size smaller than you, you can initiate a grapple and pull the enemy into your square, instead of you entering their square.While bear and serpent totem barbarians get improved grapple, that's not improved grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedGrapple) which you're describing. You're thinking of improved grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab).

Andezzar
2013-04-20, 12:03 PM
Dragons normally cannot benefit from pounce (unless you use the Blue Dragon adaptation which reduces its Bite reach IIRC); does this mean that you can now Pounce as a Dragon?A non-lawful dragon could always get one level of Spiritual Lion Totem Barbarian and thus pounce. AFAIK dragons can improve by class levels.

Throwing returning fists or teeth are much more funny though.

CyberThread
2013-04-20, 12:19 PM
dentures? huh

Flickerdart
2013-04-20, 12:37 PM
A non-lawful dragon could always get one level of Spiritual Lion Totem Barbarian and thus pounce. AFAIK dragons can improve by class levels.
That's not the problem.

See, a charge carries special restrictions on how you can move. One of those restrictions is that "you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent." For a dragon, this means moving within reach of their bite attack, which has longer reach than all their other natural weapons (except for Small and Medium dragons). This means that after they charge, none of their attacks except the bite can actually reach the target, and since natural attacks cannot be used to make iteratives, Pounce does nothing for them.

Andezzar
2013-04-20, 01:09 PM
I see, I forgot that a dragon's bite has longer reach than the other natural attacks.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-20, 03:35 PM
Barbarians get spirit totems and spirit animals.
At second level you get improved grapple as an ACF if you are a bear-barian (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Bear_Totem_Class_Features)
Improved Grapple says that when you successfully hit someone one size smaller than you, you can initiate a grapple and pull the enemy into your square, instead of you entering their square. Great and dandy so far.
Spirit Totem (Bear) from Complete Champion is the one you're looking for (Improved Grab, not Grapple), and even it has problems in execution unless you can get some size bonuses from Goliath Barbarian or similar.

Uncle Pine
2013-04-20, 05:28 PM
Buy a mouthpick weapon from Lords of Madness (+1 IIRC). Wield said weapon with your mouth and gain automatical proficiency with it as well as iterative attacks instead of your bite attack. Profit :smallbiggrin:

Sponson
2013-04-20, 07:43 PM
While bear and serpent totem barbarians get improved grapple, that's not improved grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedGrapple) which you're describing. You're thinking of improved grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab).

Yes yes, you are right. I did this a while ago and I guess I just forgot my words.

CyberThread
2013-04-21, 12:43 AM
how expensive is this said mouthpick item?

Lhurgyof
2013-04-21, 02:30 AM
In what ways, could you use and maybe even abuse a Bite, if you wanted to use it as your main weapon?

Get Amulets of Natural Attacks on different slots with different special abilities. The Enhancement bonuses won't stack, but you can use the special abilities and get them cheaper.

Uncle Pine
2013-04-21, 02:39 AM
how expensive is this said mouthpick item?

It's a +1 special property, so a +1 mouthpick longsword would cost 8.000 gp, a +2 mouthpick longsword 18.000 gp, etc. You can find it at page 46 (Lords of Madness), in the "Beholder magic" section.