PDA

View Full Version : Help with mark of death

Biotroll
2013-04-19, 05:54 AM
Hiho playground,
looking for a bit of help with upcoming session where I'm DM. It is placed in Eberron and the party is fighting undeads and Emerald Claw / Blood of Vol. Story so far:

The party has been sent investigating unusualy large sightings of undead in Shadow Marches. There they found it was doing of Emerald Claw trying some kind of experiment, that went bad. Since then, they are tracking Emerald Claw acros the Khorvaire, revealing their hideouts and finding more about the experiment. The experiment is to summon back the mark of death. Now, they were somewhat succesful with living beings, though it made them mad and turned them into undead (usualy some kind of shadow with sorc spellcasting). However party made few mistakes lately (and ignored a lot of stuff too :smallannoyed:) so Blood of Vol was able to get some blood from a dragon and enough time to experiment with it. So, now some of the undead (elite fighters) should have least mark of death, and be able to use it (though it is a bit mutated). There should be even few undead clerics/officers with lesser mark and the heads of cult are waiting for winter for Mabar to gain strenght and try to manifest greater marks too.

So while party will be facing a bunch of karrnath skeletons/zombies and bunch of normal skeletons with Destructive Retribution feat (suicide bombers) I need some effects for a bit mutated least/lesser mark of death for elite fighters and for undead clerics to make it interesting for them.

Have you seen some good ideas for marks of death? Or do you have any good idea given the story so far?

I didn't want to give them just some inflict x wounds for healing, but I can't think of any good effects.

Btw, party is lvl9 now:
Warforged Warblade (swinging two-handed hammer)
Shifter Druid (concentrating on casting/summoning)
Human Crusader (sword and board, tank)
Thiefling Rogue
and sometimes (but not often) also:
Human Battle Sorc (fire oriented)
Elf Ranger (twf)

supermonkeyjoe
2013-04-19, 10:36 AM
Well canonically the mark of death and presumably other dragonmarks don't work when on undead creatures, one of the reasons for all of Vols scheming is that she can't use her dragonmark.

If the dragonmark has gone on wrong then maybe treat them as aberrant dragonmarks (stronger versions are in the dragonmarked book) or otherwise have a look at the spellstitched undead template for limited use spells on an undead creature.

Biotroll
2013-04-20, 02:19 PM
Well canonically the mark of death and presumably other dragonmarks don't work when on undead creatures, one of the reasons for all of Vols scheming is that she can't use her dragonmark.

If the dragonmark has gone on wrong then maybe treat them as aberrant dragonmarks (stronger versions are in the dragonmarked book) or otherwise have a look at the spellstitched undead template for limited use spells on an undead creature.

I know that marks shouldn't work on undead, that is the reason why the ritual was made. I also know that mark of death isn't stated anywhere, so it must be homebrewed by DM. This is why I was asking for help.

Anyway, had some time so came up with few versions:
Least: Death Armor/Boneblast
Lesser: Animate Dead/Crown of the Grave

I'm not worried about greater version (yet) as it us unlikely to show up in game. Thing is, I'm not sure if these spells would be fine (not sure about Crown of the Grave really, but don't know what else could go there).