PDA

View Full Version : Is this allowed...?

Xander96
2013-04-19, 06:30 AM
I was just wondering...if this would be allowed to do in combat?

I'm an archer. I have the Deadly Aim, Manyshot, & Vital Strike feat. Can I use all three for the same attack. Yes I know I will only have 1 attack, but I can fire 2 arrows at my highest ab & if I land the attack I can add a boatload of dps.

Is this legal in the rules of PF?

BWR
2013-04-19, 06:47 AM
Nope. Manyshot is a full-attack action, Vital Strike is a standard attack.

CombatOwl
2013-04-19, 06:53 AM
I was just wondering...if this would be allowed to do in combat?

I'm an archer. I have the Deadly Aim, Manyshot, & Vital Strike feat. Can I use all three for the same attack. Yes I know I will only have 1 attack, but I can fire 2 arrows at my highest ab & if I land the attack I can add a boatload of dps.

You can vital strike and deadly aim... or you can manyshot and deadly aim.

You can't do all three.

Xander96
2013-04-19, 08:01 AM
What would be the better option if you were to do 1 or the other? I assume option 2 is the 1 you would want to do. No?

Killer Angel
2013-04-19, 08:08 AM

You already have you answer, but for future references, i suggest this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270834). :smallwink:

What would be the better option if you were to do 1 or the other? I assume option 2 is the 1 you would want to do. No?

It really depends on the circumstances of the fight, if you need also to move and avoid full round actions, yadda yadda

CombatOwl
2013-04-19, 08:17 AM

There are a lot of circumstantial issues to consider. If you are normally able to do full attacks, then manyshot and deadly aim is the better choice. If, on the other hand, you often need to move in the fight, then vital strike and deadly aim is the better choice.

Another consideration is the typical AC of the stuff you're fighting--if you're fighting something with a high AC, you might well be better off with vital strike and deadly aim simply to assure that you're getting the most damage. OTOH, that assumes you will progress down the vital strike feat chain. If you're just going to stop at vital strike and not pick up improved vital strike and greater vital strike, then manyshot is already dealing double arrow damage on the first hit.

It really depends on what you intend to do, and what other feats you intend to take. Vital strike, for example, is a much better choice for a switch hitter than manyshot, because vital strike will also work with your melee weapons. Manyshot is a much better choice for a mounted archer, because the horse can do your movement for you, guaranteeing you a full attack in most cases.

It really depends on what you're doing. Vital strike is better for versatility--manyshot is better for specialized archers.

Xander96
2013-04-19, 08:28 AM
My plan is to play a switch hitter. I plan on getting Manyshot in my combat style feats. I'm taking the archery path for those feats

CombatOwl
2013-04-19, 08:47 AM
My plan is to play a switch hitter. I plan on getting Manyshot in my combat style feats. I'm taking the archery path for those feats

Switch hitters should not take the archery combat style, they ought to take the two-handed weapon combat style. The point of a switch hitter is to engage enemies at range until they have closed to melee range, then beat on them with a greatsword (or other two-handed melee weapon). For that purpose, you only need two or three archery feats;

Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, possibly Rapid Shot, and possibly deadly aim at higher levels

In your case, vital strike would be a way better choice, because it would help both the archery and the melee combat. But make sure you take all of the vital strike chain.

Switch hitters really shouldn't put a ton of focus into archery stuff. And certainly you should not waste so many feats on archery for a ranger, who can never really make very good use of his archery except against his favored enemies. Archery is something best left to fighters.

A switch hitter uses their archery opportunistically--they only fire arrows when people are out of range and they have no other way to hit them.

genderlich
2013-04-19, 04:22 PM
Switch hitters should not take the archery combat style, they ought to take the two-handed weapon combat style. The point of a switch hitter is to engage enemies at range until they have closed to melee range, then beat on them with a greatsword (or other two-handed melee weapon). For that purpose, you only need two or three archery feats;

Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, possibly Rapid Shot, and possibly deadly aim at higher levels

In your case, vital strike would be a way better choice, because it would help both the archery and the melee combat. But make sure you take all of the vital strike chain.

Switch hitters really shouldn't put a ton of focus into archery stuff. And certainly you should not waste so many feats on archery for a ranger, who can never really make very good use of his archery except against his favored enemies. Archery is something best left to fighters.

A switch hitter uses their archery opportunistically--they only fire arrows when people are out of range and they have no other way to hit them.

No, a Switch Hitter should definitely take the Archery style. The benefit is getting Rapid Shot and Manyshot without having to meet the prerequisites, allowing you to spend the rest of your feats on melee stuff. Those are the two most important ranged feats - PBS is a paltry +1, and you don't need Precise Shot because when melee breaks out, you're in it. Taking the Archery style is definitely not putting too much into ranging; the 2-Handed Style doesn't give you anything you can't get normally. Otherwise your build would be far too feat-intensive for anyone but a fighter.