PDA

View Full Version : Avatar the Last Airbender as Martial Adepts

Elricaltovilla
2013-04-19, 07:36 AM
Helloooooo Playground!

I highly doubt I'm the only one to have thought of this, so I come to you for help. I was rewatching the last season of Avatar, and having been recently familiarizing myself with the Tome of Battle, something clicked... Why not recreate the benders from avatar as martial adept classes. Some of the conversions could be pretty easy, like Desert Wind Style -> Firebending, or Stone Dragon -> Earthbending.

I'm definitely interested in trying this, however I am 1) very busy and 2) lazy, so I'm hoping someone else might have done something along these lines before. Otherwise, I'll get to work on making a base class and a couple new martial disciplines (maybe all four) for Benders.

So Questions for You:

1. Has anyone else previously done something like this before?
2. Does anyone have any homebrew Martial Disciplines that might be easily converted to Bending Styles?
3. Does anyone else want to help me with this project? Any advice, submissions, criticisms or admonishments are welcome :smallsmile:

Thank you very much!

Tarsten Corvus
2013-04-19, 07:56 AM
Ello Ello. :) you might want to talk with ErrantX about that. I believe he has come up with something at some point. and good luck :D

Ashtagon
2013-04-19, 07:59 AM
Floating around is an entire campaign sourcebook for benders of all kinds. It's pre-ToB though.

Elricaltovilla
2013-04-19, 08:01 AM
Floating around is an entire campaign sourcebook for benders of all kinds. It's pre-ToB though.

I did manage to turn that up through the all knowing Google, but I was hoping for ToB stuff. Although it'd make a good resource for campaign settings and stuff. I was also looking at using Warriors and Wushu.

Temotei
2013-04-19, 08:45 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255468) is the compendium. Ones that stand out are:

Aerial Ace - Airbending
Bitter Edge - Icy waterbending
Broken Wave - Waterbending
Consuming Flame - Firebending
Crashing Wave - Waterbending
Elemental Union - All types of bending
Eternal Glacier - Icy waterbending
Falling Wave - Waterbending
Frozen Heart - Icy waterbending
Gentle Breeze - Airbending
Glacial Chill - Icy waterbending
Ice Eternal - Icy waterbending
Leaping Gale - Airbending
North Wind - Airbending
Ocean Soul - Waterbending
Ocean Tempest - Waterbending
Phoenix Tear - A gentler side to firebending
Raging Storm (ErrantX) - Stormy airbending
Raging Storm (RobbyPants) - More stormy airbending
Volitant Feather - Airbending

Elricaltovilla
2013-04-19, 09:17 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255468) is the compendium. Ones that stand out are:

Aerial Ace - Airbending
Bitter Edge - Icy waterbending
Broken Wave - Waterbending
Consuming Flame - Firebending
Crashing Wave - Waterbending
Elemental Union - All types of bending
Eternal Glacier - Icy waterbending
Falling Wave - Waterbending
Frozen Heart - Icy waterbending
Gentle Breeze - Airbending
Glacial Chill - Icy waterbending
Ice Eternal - Icy waterbending
Leaping Gale - Airbending
North Wind - Airbending
Ocean Soul - Waterbending
Ocean Tempest - Waterbending
Phoenix Tear - A gentler side to firebending
Raging Storm (ErrantX) - Stormy airbending
Raging Storm (RobbyPants) - More stormy airbending
Volitant Feather - Airbending

Well this is quite useful! Thank you very much! Looks like I'll need to do some work to make more fire/earth bending styles, but at least I have a good start.

I'll probably need to come up with a new class (or four) to be the benders, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Draz74
2013-04-19, 01:03 PM
Well this is quite useful! Thank you very much! Looks like I'll need to do some work to make more fire/earth bending styles, but at least I have a good start.

I'll probably need to come up with a new class (or four) to be the benders, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Actually, you might be OK if you just took the Swordsage and the Warblade and changed their disciplines. Maybe look at the Tome of Tactics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183826) homebrew and see if any of those classes would be good styles to add (again, with their disciplines changed to the more bender-y ones).

Pyromancer999
2013-04-20, 01:42 PM
A source that you might want to look into is spellshaping. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224508) It's got more bending-like stuff, as well as a class that blends initiating and spellshaping if you want both.