PDA

View Full Version : Pf Rp ?

Xander96
2013-04-19, 10:25 AM
So I am contemplating playing a Strix in a pirate campaign fairly shortly.

Yes, for some of you I have posted several topics regarding questions regarding a build I am strongly considering.

Anyhow, if I should go this route and I have other humans in my adventuring party. What would be the best way to RP this scenario? Feedback always welcome! Thanks again for everyone'e help so far!

JellyPooga
2013-04-20, 05:58 AM
Strix are the human-hating minority of winged dudes, correct?

Well, one route I wouldn't advise would be the "I'm the exception to the racial norm and am really pro-human". That's far too much of a cop-out!

Much better would be to really play up on the idea that you very much dislike pretty much everyone. The trick is, though, to do it subtly. Don't rush to your companions' aid at the drop of a hat. Don't share your loot. Don't even say "hello" in the mornings. Be surly and snide and comment on the personal hygeine of their mothers dogs and that sort of thing. Look down your nose at the pathetic ground-walkers, because that's all they are; insects to be used until their usefulness has expired and then ditched for greater things.

This is not to say that you should avoid helping the party. Even a moderately intelligent person will realise that people tend to be more helpful if you're not a complete liability and you need these people to think you're an asset if you're to get the most out of them. Just do it begrudgingly.

If you give a better run-down of the character, I might be able to give some more specific advice, but that should get you started!

Kol Korran
2013-04-20, 08:07 AM
A certain amount of conflict is good for a party to have. However, it requires some planning, and some mature roleplaying so this is beneficial, and doesn't hurt/ destroys the party.

First of all I suggest you talk with your fellow players and let them know about this, and agree to have the tension be used to further enhance the playing experience. This is VERY important- basically you're establishing a sort of an informal contract that you're going to create some tension between your characters, but it's not meant to harm any of you, but rather contribute to the story as a whole. Without this players might feel you're targeting their characters, and might respond in same, and this might escalate and ruin everyone's fun.

Secondly I suggest you talk with the DM and possibly the conflicting characters' players, to find a reason to work together, at least initially. possibly a patron that demands you all cooperate, perhaps some sort of a supernatural power (a curse, contract with a devil and so on), or simply a common goal. As you adventure together, ACTIVELY find opportunities to try and "realize your prejudice/ warm up to your fellow companions/ improve your relations". The DM can help a bit by providing opportunities, but the onus of this undertaking is on you. You don't have to be hearty chums who'll rush to each other's aid and be willing to sacrifice yourselves for each other, but you need enough of a bond so that when the initial force that binds you dissipates, you won't do so as well.

Thirdly, though I do not know this Strix race you talk about, nor it's depth of hatred for humans, a lot of people make the mistake of interperting hate= must kill them all. That is not true, and more than that- it's sssoooooo boring! Instead your strix might decide he wants to show his race right, and force the humans to know how puny/ worthless/ stupid they are. or he wants to make them suffer, or humiliate them, or wants to manipulate them proving it's superiority, and so on. There are lots and lots of not lethal or violent ways to conflict with another in an interesting and fun way (And from their end towards you as well, beware). You guys need to be mature enough and accept some "bad" things may happen to your character from another character, but that this makes for a better and more fun story.

Lastly, but quite important- talk before hand what are your limits, what a character won't put up with and will be forced to take a more resolute action against another character. You're setting boundaries, limits, and by this you're respecting each other's character, and avoiding any situations which might cause too much strain on the party. These limits can't cover everything, so if a situation comes out in play about which you're unsure- ASK!

That's all I got- good luck!

Xander96
2013-04-20, 01:32 PM
Thank you Kol Korran & JellyPooga! All of this feedback has REALLY REALLY been excellent! I always interpreted "hatred" as the "kill them all" attitude. I was wrong and happy to be so. Thank you for opening my eyes on this. I appreciate it very much!

So from what you guys had mentioned it sounds like what "hatred" might equate to is more of an arrogance. Ex: Elves hate dwarves and vice versa. It's more of "who is better" type hatred. Or in sports terms. Red Sox/Yankees, ect.

So here is 1 thing I was thinking in terms of RP in regards to what you guys suggested.

Me (Strix): "
Hey Huemaaan...this is how you get things done!"
"If you want something done...don't ask a stupid human..."

Something along those lines?

Just to give you a better idea on my character. As I had mentioned earlier, I am going to be playing in a pirate campaign. I am going to be a Switch Hitter Ranger. I'm not sure what other info you need, but that's what I have for you at the moment.

I've heard some people say that Strix would be inadvisable to play because of their wing span in small quarters, such as dungeons, ect. & if they need to attack in melee they need to make a fly check. Is this true?

Thanks again for your feedback!

Calmar
2013-04-20, 05:35 PM
Thank you Kol Korran & JellyPooga! All of this feedback has REALLY REALLY been excellent! I always interpreted "hatred" as the "kill them all" attitude. I was wrong and happy to be so. Thank you for opening my eyes on this. I appreciate it very much!

So from what you guys had mentioned it sounds like what "hatred" might equate to is more of an arrogance. Ex: Elves hate dwarves and vice versa. It's more of "who is better" type hatred. Or in sports terms. Red Sox/Yankees, ect.

So here is 1 thing I was thinking in terms of RP in regards to what you guys suggested.

Me (Strix): "
Hey Huemaaan...this is how you get things done!"
"If you want something done...don't ask a stupid human..."

Something along those lines?

Just to give you a better idea on my character. As I had mentioned earlier, I am going to be playing in a pirate campaign. I am going to be a Switch Hitter Ranger. I'm not sure what other info you need, but that's what I have for you at the moment.

This is just my personal opinion, but I'm sceptical to what extent it is actually enjoyable to play an unfriendly or annoying character, or have im in the party. I've seen people try a couple of times, but it never worked out in a way that was very enjoyable for the players. When characters go on adventures together, they usually become friends sooner or later. If one refuses to befriend the others, he's basically just a jerk (who is only kept around out of OOC reasoning, because everyone is playing a roleplaying game together).

Now it seems that their hatred against humans is in fact the most important feature of the strix culture (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-strix). In the default PF setting they are apparently, as a matter of fact, about to be driven to extiction by the humans (I wonder who comes up with such an incompatible race?). I see no way you could play a typical strix who'd be cooperating with humans; you'd either have to roleplay the worn-out and boring attack-on-sight cliché (which likely results in your character's death), or you have to to roleplay one of those the worn-out and boring friendly-outcasts-from-a-hostile-culture (who should wield scimitars). :smallconfused:

Xander96
2013-04-20, 09:42 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Oh we'll...back to the drawing board. I suppose it will be either the Oni-spawn tiefling or a half elf maybe half drow

Calmar
2013-04-21, 06:54 AM
On the other hand, if you like the general abilities of the strix much, you might sit down with your DM and simply change their background. They even could be a form of harpy, or a race of winged elves, etc. Unless the DM wishes to focus his campaign on the human-strix-war (which I think is unlikely in a pirate campaign) that shouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe change the subject of their hatred, or chose an alternative trait instead of hatred.