PDA

View Full Version : Extras

sambouchah
2013-04-19, 12:19 PM
Does anyone else tend to carry things like tea, honey, dried fruits, pots or pans, utensils, etc? I like the idea of rather than rations my characters carry their favorite food/drinks. Anyone do this?

The Trickster
2013-04-19, 12:23 PM
Sure, if I have a role play reason to do so. For example, having a character who likes to cook may have some spices on them, or a bunch of ale for my drunken master monk.

stack
2013-04-19, 12:59 PM
I put them on the sheet when i remember and have the weight allowance. That stuff is easy to find on the srd for pathfinder anyhow. Made a druid that carried a teapot alongside his mess kit, seen others do similar.

sambouchah
2013-04-19, 01:00 PM
Sure, if I have a role play reason to do so. For example, having a character who likes to cook may have some spices on them, or a bunch of ale for my drunken master monk.

In Final Fantasy A2 tactics there is a clan called "the Culinary Crusade" and I'd like to at some point roll a member

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-19, 01:51 PM
i currently have a player that his character carries a box with cinnamon cookies and his grandmother recipe.. whenever he runs out he visit the nearest tavern and have the cook refill his box...

i once had a character of mine carrying a big jar of honey and a sack of nuts (in his BoH ofc) and he was giving "candies" to poor children he met (just because he never had candies as child).

another char of mine.. carrying 3 sacks.. 1 coffee, 1 tobacco & 1 with salt...
wherever he went he had something to drink, to smoke and to make the food more to his taste :)

Skysaber
2013-04-19, 06:29 PM
One player in my group asked if he could buy Everlasting Rations retyped into an Everlasting Ingredient Bag. We worked out the mechanics (no more than 12 unique ingredients per day, no more volume than sufficient to feed one person, same cost) and let him have it.

Pretty soon the whole gaming group followed suit, in all our campaigns.

I've been known to carry bags of flour, baking soda, yeast, etc, instead of rations even before then. You do it right and you can carry food for a year for about the same cost as a week's worth of rations (and only about a thousand times the flavor). And the bulk stops mattering pretty soon after everybody starts toting around extradimensional spaces, so bring along a field kitchen as well.

US pioneers referred to what we call the Dutch Oven as a 'cook all', because there wasn't anything you couldn't prepare in it. Make bread dough in it after breakfast and it has risen in time to cook bread for lunch, then the same for dinner. And if you milk the cow at dawn like you have to, then hang the pail below the wagon, by the time you stop all that shaking has separated out the butter, so you've got something to spread on your bread.

Bring along some wheels of cheese and jars of preserves (often filling up those same empty potion bottles your adventuring buddies just throw out - wash and reuse) and when your ranger brings back some meat you can get downright comfortable.

It's also interesting in that now nobody feels a need to descend on every tavern we see like a pride of hungry lions about to devour a goat.

Then again, our group is odd, even carrying things like soap and towels.

Nepenthe
2013-04-19, 06:38 PM
I've already filled up one page of inventory on my latest character sheet with things like tobacco (carried in a waterproof bag, of course), string, fish hooks, sewing needles, etc.

thethird
2013-04-19, 06:44 PM
I do that all the time. I actually ask pretty please if I can reflavor one of my favorite magic items (the travel cloak) just for this purpose.

Geordnet
2013-04-19, 06:54 PM
You should always know where your towel is. :smallwink:

Skysaber
2013-04-19, 07:51 PM
You should always know where your towel is. :smallwink:

Well of course!

You can eat on it picnic style, you can lie on it under the stars, or use it as an extra blanket, or a very small sail. And, if you should happen across a medusa, you can wrap it around your head to avoid the chance of meeting her gaze.:smallwink:

Also, if it is still clean enough, you can dry yourself off with it.

Keneth
2013-04-19, 08:01 PM
I never carry around rations. If our characters are in the city, we buy cooked meals. If they're traveling, we buy actual food before leaving town and prepare meals on the road, and if the journey is long, you can always forage with a DC10 Survival check.

Rations are bloody expensive anyway. 5 sp for some dried fruit and jerky? I can make a proper meal for the whole party with a gold piece. :smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2013-04-19, 08:19 PM
I like to. I made a character who I drew with a quite distinctive facial hair (basically that moustache that goes down to the chin) and I mentioned on a semi regular basis he was shaving, and had all the needed supplies written down on the character sheet.
It's fun, it's flavourful and helps make you more than Sir Kill-o-lot the Bland.

Daftendirekt
2013-04-19, 08:49 PM
I try and do at least one or two "extras" sort of things on any character I play. My previous character was a gnomish wizard who was something of a "gentleman" and enjoyed the finer things in life. As such, he always had his pipe with some pipeweed and always had Spark prepared as a cantrip. My current character is an elf druid who has fishing supplies at all times. No rations for her!

Palanan
2013-04-19, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Nepenthe

I had a character do that in one of my campaigns; she insisted on bathing every evening whenever possible. And on giving her husband (another character) at least a wipe-down every time he slew a mighty monstrosity and came out spattered in grey gore. Soap and water, like clockwork.

I'm just now working up a mystic ranger who, earlier in his life, spent time at a finishing school and developed a talent for calligraphy. So, he'll be carrying some brushes and ink in a waterproof bamboo tube. This is what happens when I watch Hero for inspiration....

Ravens_cry
2013-04-19, 10:57 PM
I try and do at least one or two "extras" sort of things on any character I play. My previous character was a gnomish wizard who was something of a "gentleman" and enjoyed the finer things in life. As such, he always had his pipe with some pipeweed and always had Spark prepared as a cantrip. My current character is an elf druid who has fishing supplies at all times. No rations for her!
I have a similar rational behind a small house rule: the flavour point, basically, one extra skill point per level is optionally given out to be spent on a skill that, more or less, just adds flavour and depth to your character. It might be called on, it might not be, but it's there to make your character stand out from Bob Bobson the Bobbed.

RolandDeschain
2013-04-19, 11:11 PM
Once, but sadly only once, I played a rather fat cleric who was a travelling pantry. He, of course, was a healing machine for game play purposes. The fluff, however, made him great fun to play. He quite loudly insisted the party celebrate even the most minor accomplishments with FEAST AND WINE! He prepared every meal the party ate and in exchange never took a watch. I quite uncreatively named him Falstaff, but the party quickly dubbed him Fat Jo. My playing group still talks about him from time to time and often request I bring him back.