PDA

View Full Version : Spell Themeatics and you!

GutterFace
2013-04-19, 01:07 PM
so i know i have heard a lot of shenanigans about Prestidigitation in the past and how to make it useful.

but i ran into the Spell Themeatics Feat and i was wondering if you can do the same for it.

like would an enemy try and dodge (ref save) a fireball that looked like a butterfly wafting over toward him?

would an enemy avoid a Grease spell that looks like gravel?

how would you handle this as a DM?

Hunter Noventa
2013-04-19, 01:57 PM
Looking at the errata'd version of the feat (found here, PDF link) (ftp://moisant3.no-ip.biz/pub/files/RPG/Forgotten%20Realms/Errata/Magic%20of%20Faerun.pdf) I don't think it's meant to be used that way. This is already somewhat covered by the +5 to the DC to identify the spell being cast, but this doens't provide any penalty to saves or bonus to the save DC or anything.

Your examples are a bit flawed, spell thematics wouldn't disguise the grease itself, it would change the effect that created the grease. if, normally the Grease woudl appear out of nowhere and your theme was butterflies, instead of appearing out of nowhere, a swarm ot glowing butterflies might slam intot he ground and leave behind the grease.

For the fireball, do you really think that everyone in the are of effect sees the tiny red bead flying at them and gets ready to dodge? Fact of the matter is that in combat, you're always ready to dodge, always moving, that's why you aren't flat-footed (even if that doesn't actually reduce your reflex save). So to the average combatant, a glowing butterfly floating over towards the area at high speed would be ignored til it exploded. That's when you make the save after all.

GutterFace
2013-04-19, 02:26 PM
haha interesting and all good points :)

just checking, ive been wanting to play this wizard for so long im starting to get antsy and making wild claims