PDA

View Full Version : Help me name my Ranger's followers

Lord Torath
2013-04-19, 02:49 PM
My ranger has just acquired 3 falcons and a cave bear as followers. Can you suggest names for them?

My ranger is an Athasian Thri-Kreen with a non-Athasian elf as a good friend, and they're currently exploring the northern reaches of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos on Mystara. Yeah, yeah, I know. :smallamused:

BWR
2013-04-19, 03:05 PM
Why not?
How poetic is your thri-kreen?
If he's very literal-minded you could have things like Chirpy, Screechy, Shrieker and Growler. It's been a while since Iread up on thri-kreen, so I can't remember what they are like.

Alternatively you could give them thri-kreen names from the list in honor of your old pack-mates.

Zahhak
2013-04-19, 03:14 PM
Radagast the Brown.

Erasmas
2013-04-19, 03:17 PM
Several years back, I made a Thri-kreen name generator file for a campaign that I was putting together. I can post some samples for you here.

Male
Theetheg
Korthchil
Agachhr
Atocxee
Xixtich

Female
Aoxnaka
Chilcha
Rithgyth
Channaka
Itixigath

Lord Torath
2013-04-19, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone! :smallsmile:

How poetic is your thri-kreen?
If he's very literal-minded you could have things like Chirpy, Screechy, Shrieker and Growler. It's been a while since Iread up on thri-kreen, so I can't remember what they are like.

Alternatively you could give them thri-kreen names from the list in honor of your old pack-mates.
Probably leaning in the direction of literal-minded names. The Thri-Kreen-to-Common dictionary is limited enough that it's hard to come up with meaningful names in Thri-kreen (At least the one in Thri-Kreen of Athas is. Not sure if there are any others out there...)

So is there actually a difference between the Male and Female names in your generator, Erasmas?

Still, I get the idea that Thri-Kreen generally only use pack/clutch names on new Thri-Kreen. Given their 'religious' views and racial memory...

BWR
2013-04-19, 04:20 PM
As I said, it's been many years since I looked at thri-kreen. I'm working off memory and the fact I'm too damn lazy to get up, walk 4 meters and get book off my shelf.

dps
2013-04-19, 08:10 PM
Tonto, Silver, uhm, and the other 2.

Berenger
2013-04-22, 10:11 AM
Bear: Porthos
Falcons: Athos, Aramis, d'Artagnan

Lord Torath
2013-04-22, 11:02 AM
Bear: Porthos
Falcons: Athos, Aramis, d'Artagnan
Hah! A French Thri-kreen! That'd be awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Or maybe I could name them after Athasian beasts:
Bear: So-ut
Falcons: Roc, Razorclaw, & Pterrax

Driderman
2013-04-22, 11:10 AM
Name them after his clutch-mates from Athas, or do the Athasian name theme.
Alternately, I see Thri-Keen as being rather practical/literal-minded, why not just call them Bear and Bird One, Two and Three? :smallbiggrin:

Erasmas
2013-04-22, 11:25 AM
So is there actually a difference between the Male and Female names in your generator, Erasmas?

Not really, no. They are just different sets of entries for the generator program (two different lists of prefixes and suffixes).

Alternatively, you could look up some of the Thark names from John Carter (as they have always reminded me a lot of Thri-kreens.

Roak Star
2013-04-22, 04:44 PM
Falcons:
Merry
Pippin
Sam

Bear:
Gimli

BWR
2013-04-29, 02:11 AM
The tharks never struck me as insectile. Slightly reptilian, maybe, but never insectile.
*shrug*
Eye of the beholder at work.

falloutimperial
2013-04-29, 05:20 AM
My ranger is an Athasian Thri-Kreen with a non-Athasian elf as a good friend...

Name a falcon after the elf.

Erasmas
2013-04-30, 02:16 PM
The tharks never struck me as insectile. Slightly reptilian, maybe, but never insectile.
*shrug*
Eye of the beholder at work.

I think it's the multiple arms and the very organic styled weapons and armor that does it for me.

magwaaf
2013-05-10, 10:09 PM
Moe Larry Curly Shemp!!!

Lord Torath
2013-05-11, 05:33 PM
Shemp? :smallconfused: I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with that. A fourth Stooge?