PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer (Poisoned World 3.5)

LordErebus12
2013-04-19, 04:20 PM
Arcane Archer
http://i.imgur.com/j8SSjwl.jpg
"With this bow, I will alter my future... and end yours..."

Abilities: Dex (Accuracy, Defense), Wis (Insight, Perception, Spells), Con (Health)
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills
The Arcane Archer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcane / geography / nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]{colsp=12}Table: Arcane Archer Class
Level| BAB | Fort| Ref |Will| Special | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th

1st |+0 |+0 |+2 |+2 | Archer’s Stance, Precision|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd |+1 |+0 |+3 |+3 | Armored Mage, Evasive Archer +1|0|-|-|-|-|-
3rd |+2 |+1 |+3 |+3 | Imbue Arrow|1|-|-|-|-|-
4th |+3 |+1 |+4 |+4 | Evasive Archer +2|2|0|-|-|-|-
5th |+3 |+1 |+4 |+4 | Fade|3|1|-|-|-|-

6th |+4 |+2 |+5 |+5 | Enhance Arrow +1|3|2|-|-|-|-
7th |+5 |+2 |+5 |+5 | Evasive Archer +3|3|2|0|-|-|-
8th |+6/+1 |+2 |+6 |+6 | Seeker Arrow|3|3|1|-|-|-
9th |+6/+1 |+3 |+6 |+6 | Enhance Arrow +2|3|3|2|-|-|-
10th |+7/+2 |+3 |+7 |+7 | Evasive Archer +4|3|3|2|0|-|-

11th |+8/+3 |+3 |+7 |+7 | Phase Arrow|3|3|3|1|-|-
12th |+9/+4 |+4 |+8 |+8 | Enhance Arrow +3|3|3|3|2|-|-
13th |+9/+4 |+4 |+8 |+8 | Evasive Archer +5|3|3|3|2|0|-
14th |+10/+5 |+4 |+9 |+9 | Hail of Arrows|3|3|3|3|1|-
15th |+11/+6/+1 |+5 |+9 |+9 | Enhance Arrow +4|4|3|3|3|2|-

16th |+12/+7/+2 |+5 |+10 |+10 | Evasive Archer +6|4|4|3|3|2|0
17th |+12/+7/+2 |+5 |+10 |+10 | Arrow of Death|4|4|4|3|3|1
18th |+13/+8/+3 |+6 |+11 |+11 | Enhance Arrow +5|4|4|4|4|3|2
19th |+14/+9/+4 |+6 |+11 |+11 | Evasive Archer +7|4|4|4|4|4|3
20th |+15/+10/+5 |+6 |+12 |+12 | Legendary Archer|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Arcane Archer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Arcane Archers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are also proficient in light armor, but not with shields. Arcane archer’s can cast arcane spells while in light armor, but suffers normal arcane spell failure for wearing medium or heavy armor (See below).

1st - Archer’s Stance (Ex):
The Arcane Archer does not provoke attacks of opportunity when firing ranged weapons while threatened in melee. In addition, you threaten all squares within your normal melee reach (5 feet if Small or Medium, 10 feet if Large) with your bow, allowing you to make attacks of opportunity with arrows shot from the bow.

1st - Precision (Ex):
At 1st level, Arcane Archers can shoot ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard –4 penalty on their attack rolls. This functions as precise shot for feat prerequisites.

2nd - Armored Mage (Ex):
Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster’s gestures, which can cause his spells to fail (if those spells have somatic components). An arcane archer’s limited focus and specialized training, however, allows him to avoid arcane spell failure as long as he sticks to light armor. This training does not extend to medium or heavier armors, nor to shields. Nor does this ability apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

2nd - Evasive Archer (Ex):
At 2nd level, an arcane archer gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC against ranged attacks. This bonus increases to +2 at 4th level, and increases again by +1 for every three levels beyond 4th (7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th levels).

2nd - Spells:
An Arcane Archer casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the spell list given below. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time the way a cleric or wizard must. When an Arcane Archer gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level listed on the spell list. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list.

To cast a spell, an Arcane Archer must have a Wisdom score of 10 + the spell’s level (Wis 11 for 1st level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an Arcane Archer’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the Arcane Archer’s Wisdom modifier. Like other spellcasters, an Arcane Archer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells for a high Wisdom score (see Table 1–1, page 8 of the Player’s Handbook).

Unlike a cleric or a wizard, an Arcane Archer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level.

At 1st level, an arcane archer does not have a caster level. At 2nd level, the arcane archer has a caster level equal to his total arcane archer levels.

3rd - Imbue Arrow (Sp):
At 3rd level, an arcane archer gains the ability to place an area spell or ranged touch spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area/target is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

5th - Fade (Sp):
At 5th level, an arcane archer gains the ability to fade from sight, in a manner similar to the Invisibility spell. This lasts a number of rounds equal to one-fifth the arcane archer’s class level. At 10th level, the arcane archer can move at full speed while invisible without taking the standard -4 penalty to move silently checks. At 15th level, the arcane archer using this ability can make attacks or other manipulative actions, as if under a Greater Invisibility spell. The arcane archer can activate as a swift action, a number of times per encounter equal to her one-fifth her class level.

6th - Enhance Arrow (Su):
At 6th level, every nonmagical arrow an arcane archer nocks and lets fly becomes magical, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. Unlike magic weapons created by normal means, the archer need not spend experience points or gold pieces to accomplish this task. However, an archer’s magic arrows only function for her. For every three levels the character advances past 6th level in the prestige class, the magic arrows she creates gain +1 greater potency (+1 at 6th level, +2 at 9th level, +3 at 12th level, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 18th level).

8th - Seeker Arrow (Sp):
At 8th level, an arcane archer can launch an arrow at a single target known to her within range, and the arrow travels to the target, even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the limit of the arrow’s range prevents the arrow’s flight. This ability negates cover and concealment modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and shooting the arrow is part of the action) that is usable at will.

11th - Phase Arrow (Sp):
At 11th level, an arcane archer can fire a more potent version of the Seeker Arrow. Once fired, the arrow travels to the target in a straight path, passing through any non-magical barrier or wall in its way (Any magical barrier stops the arrow). This ability negates all cover and concealment, as well as ignoring all armor and shield modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally.

14th - Hail of Arrows (Sp):
In lieu of her regular attacks, an arcane archer of 14th level or higher can fire an arrow at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every arcane archer level she has earned. Each attack uses the archer’s primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single arrow.

17th - Arrow of Death (Sp):
At 17th level, an arcane archer can create an arrow of death that forces the target, if damaged by the arrow’s attack, to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 Arcane Archer's class level + Arcane Archer's Wisdom Modifier) or be slain immediately. It takes one day to make an arrow of death, and the arrow only functions for the arcane archer who created it. The arrow of death lasts no longer than one year, and the archer can only have one such arrow in existence at a time.

20th - Legendary Archer (Ex):
At 20th level, any attacks made with bows or crossbows automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by one (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, the arcane Archer cannot be disarmed while wielding a bow or crossbow.

Spell List (* from Spell Compendium)
1st
Acid Splash, Blades of Fire*, Blood Wind*, Burning Hands, Corrosive Grasp*, Flare, Grease, Guided Shot*, Hail of Stone*, Hawkeye*, Ice Dagger*, Lesser Orb of Acid *, Lesser Orb of Cold *, Lesser Orb of Electricity *, Lesser Orb of Fire *, Lesser Orb of Sound *, Light, Mage Armor, Ray of Flame*, Ray Of Frost, Shocking Grasp, Sonic Blast*, Summon Monster, Thunderhead*, True Strike, Wall of Smoke*

2nd
Cloud of Bewilderment*, Combust*, Continual Flame, Darkness, Electric Loop*, Ethereal Chamber*, Fireburst*, Frost Breath*, Hunter’s Mercy*, Malevolent Miasma*, Nature's Favor*, Rainbow Beam*, Ram*, Ray of Ice*, Saltray*, Scorch*, Scorching Ray, Shatter, Snowball Swarm*, Sound Burst, Splinterbolt*, Summon Monster II, Summon Swarm

3rd
Acid Breath*, Blacklight*, Bottle of Smoke*, Corpse Candle*, Create Magic Tattoo*, Daylight, Fireball, Flame Arrow, Great Thunderclap*, Greater Mage Armor *, Greater Floating Disk *, Hypothermia*, Keen Edge, Lightning Bolt, Resonating Bolt*, Scintillating Sphere*, Sepia Snake Sigil, Servant Horde*, Shatterfloor*, Summon Monster III, Wall of Light*, Winter's Embrace*

4th
Blast of Flame*, Energy Spheres*, Explosive Cascade*, Glowing Orb*, Lesser Planar Ally, Murderous Mist*, Orb of Acid*, Orb of Cold*, Orb of Electricity*, Orb of Fire*, Orb of Sound*, Planar Tolerance*, Stone Shatter*, Summon Monster IV

5th
Arc of Lightning*, Cacophonic Burst*, Cone of Cold, Cyclonic Blast*, Firebrand*, Greater Dimension Door *, Greater Fireburst*, Lesser Planar Binding, Memory Rot*, Orb of Force*, Phantasmal Thief*, Prismatic Ray*, Summon Monster V, Teleport, Vitriolic Sphere*, Wall of Force, Wind Tunnel*

6th
Acid Storm*, Brilliant Blade*, Fire Spiders*, (Otiluke’s) Freezing Sphere, Major Creation, Miasma*, Planar Ally, Planar Binding, Ray of Light*, Spider Plague*, Summon Monster VI

Sidran7e
2013-04-19, 04:53 PM
Very Nice, and a Quick Design :smallsmile:

The one thing that I would do different is Spells based of Charisma or Intelligence (Prefer Charisma, of course). It is interesting you used wisdom.

LordErebus12
2013-04-19, 05:00 PM
Very Nice, and a Quick Design :smallsmile:

The one thing that I would do different is Spells based of Charisma or Intelligence (Prefer Charisma, of course). It is interesting you used wisdom.

Its a insight and perception thing, and its also more unique for an arcane caster. Wisdom feels more archer to me, anyways. The big thing i saw was drow with its bonuses to Int, Dex, and Cha, making it an excellent pick for the class if it used cha or int. Wisdom was a late decision, at any rate.

LordErebus12
2013-08-26, 02:34 AM
finally compiled a spell list. it features only conjuration or evocation spells, however, with a few exceptions...

Amechra
2013-08-26, 05:32 AM
Nice!

If I was doing this, I would remove the per day restrictions on the class features, and I would make Phase Arrow a direct upgrade to Seeker Arrow, but otherwise, good show!

As to why I don't think they would be broken to be able to use at will...

1. Seeker Arrow and Phase Arrow are a Standard action.
2. Hail of Arrows is a full-round action.

To explain: Use of either class feature prevents you from using the really nice archery feats like Rapid Shot or Manyshot. You're left with the kinda garbage ones instead. Totally fair.

Philemonite
2013-08-26, 05:45 AM
I like it a lot. I wanna play it.

One thing that I find strange is very large number of known spells for a spontaneous caster.

Any plans to convert it to pathfinder?

LordErebus12
2013-08-26, 05:59 AM
Nice!

If I was doing this, I would remove the per day restrictions on the class features, and I would make Phase Arrow a direct upgrade to Seeker Arrow, but otherwise, good show!

As to why I don't think they would be broken to be able to use at will...

1. Seeker Arrow and Phase Arrow are a Standard action.
2. Hail of Arrows is a full-round action.

To explain: Use of either class feature prevents you from using the really nice archery feats like Rapid Shot or Manyshot. You're left with the kinda garbage ones instead. Totally fair.

Okay, good advice. give me a few minutes to edit it.

I like it a lot. I wanna play it.

One thing that I find strange is very large number of known spells for a spontaneous caster.

Any plans to convert it to pathfinder?

I'm glad to hear that. :smallbiggrin:

Well, it is a large selection of spells, but it focuses on nearly all Evocation and Conjuration spells, with a few archery flavor spells thrown in. I have always felt that many of the best spontaneous casters lacked a better spell list.

The Duskblade would be amazing if it had the 'Orb of X, Lesser' and 'Orb of X' spells, which is something i always offer to my players at no charge. It cant channel them, but they make up for any downside this creates.

The warmage is nice, but should be allowed to have some summoning spells and perhaps a few more spells from the Spell Compendium. I realize the SpC came out after Complete Arcane, but they never even gave the warmage a thought... sad really. The warmage only has one class-specific feat (extra edge), too.

Admittedly, I realize this is a heavy combat-oriented class, with not much in the way of much else, but I dont think its a bad thing. Its on the powerful side, too.

---

As for pathfinder, it would be easy(ish) to do. merely select every arcane spell in the following schools: conjuration and evocation (at least the non-alignment subtype ones), adding in True strike and any spell that deals with ammunition through some means, such as abundant ammunition and flame arrow. I could come up with a more defined spell list, given enough free time, but I dont have that right this moment.

LordErebus12
2013-08-26, 06:22 AM
okay, its been slightly altered, as per Amechra's request. Seeker arrow is usable at will and Phase arrow upgrades it. Hail of arrows can be used at will, as well.

Arrow of death will maintain the normal restrictions associated with the ability.

Carl
2013-08-26, 12:00 PM
For some reason Evasive Archer appears to be missing from the class skills list...

LordErebus12
2013-08-26, 12:22 PM
For some reason Evasive Archer appears to be missing from the class skills list...

umm... what do you mean? Evasive Archer doesn't seem to have anything to do with skills...

Rolep
2013-08-26, 02:34 PM
I would change the DC of arrow of death to 10 + 1/2 class levels + wisdom modifier, since DC20 is garbage at the listed level.

LordErebus12
2013-08-26, 03:13 PM
done :smallbiggrin:

Carl
2013-08-26, 06:09 PM
@Lord Erebus: I'm blind, i found it.

LordErebus12
2013-08-26, 07:40 PM
@Lord Erebus: I'm blind, i found it.

lol, i figured that :smallwink:

Carl
2013-08-26, 11:55 PM
I missed the ling about it in the table at 2nd level, so was looking for it at 4th :smallredface:.