PDA

View Full Version : [PF] RP Question : Paladin with low INT in a group with a evil PC

Roncorps
2013-04-19, 04:52 PM
Group is good. My PC is neutral evil. Paladin got detect evil mojo, but he got a 7 INT.

I am screw ?

BTW, I play the NE stuff mostly with : Law and order are null. I do what I want, because I'm from a "natural environment". I'm not stupid, I don't kill people on a whim.

But, in the end, I'm a neutral evil spotlight.

Daftendirekt
2013-04-19, 05:08 PM
One of you is a foolish player for creating this situation to begin with. If you knew he was playing a paladin, you shouldn't have made an evil character as you had to know it would just complicate things in an un-fun way. If you were there first and he made the paladin knowing there was an evil character in the party, he was foolish for the same reasons. Low character in really doesn't affect this. If he uses detect evil when you're nearby, he'll detect you. It doesn't matter why or "how much" you're evil, you're evil, and he cannot and will not associate with you once he knows.

Baroncognito
2013-04-19, 05:13 PM
Group is good. My PC is neutral evil. Paladin got detect evil mojo, but he got a 7 INT.

I am screw ?

BTW, I play the NE stuff mostly with : Law and order are null. I do what I want, because I'm from a "natural environment". I'm not stupid, I don't kill people on a whim.

But, in the end, I'm a neutral evil spotlight.

It's not his intelligence that will cause you trouble. It's his wisdom and sense motive scores.

BWR
2013-04-19, 05:48 PM
Do you have any way of hiding your alignment? If not, chances are some day he is going to Detect Evil you. Then the paladin will have no choice but to either leave the party or force you to do so. Unless he takes it upon himself to save your soul (which could be a fun story). If you do anything remotely suspicious around the paladin and he notices you're evil, expect some stern questioning and possibly a sword in your gut.

Bhaakon
2013-04-19, 06:16 PM
What level?

As long as the group is under level 5*, and you aren't a cleric, Pathfinder Detect Evil won't ping you.

*there some confusion in the rules as to whether an evil aligned level 5 character detects.

Roncorps
2013-04-19, 06:30 PM
First, the PC were created independently. My DM did told me about the paladin and the detect evil vs my neutral evil. In fact, it was not the detect evil that seemed bad, but the fact that the paladin got 7 INT and he would do something like that : "Detect evil ... PC evil ... Wraaaarrrrrr KILL EVIL PC !"

It's not his intelligence that will cause you trouble. It's his wisdom and sense motive scores.

My DM did tell me the same thing, but it's was more like "Ok, but his WIS will them him that he can't trust you so why would he go adventure with you ?"

Do you have any way of hiding your alignment?

Nope, too low level. We are starting the game.

What level?

As long as the group is under level 5*, and you aren't a cleric, Pathfinder Detect Evil won't ping you.

*there some confusion in the rules as to whether an evil aligned level 5 character detects.

Level 1. Are you sure about the level 5 "rule" ? It could make me able to get something to hide my alignment.

haplessvictim
2013-04-19, 06:35 PM
Level 1. Are you sure about the level 5 "rule" ? It could make me able to get something to hide my alignment.

Yep, it's in the rules: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/detectEvil.html

An aligned creature of 4 or fewer HD has no alignment aura. That gives you four levels to convert to good or find a magic item that casts permanent Undetectable Alignment.

Bhaakon
2013-04-19, 06:39 PM

Technically it's 5 hit dice, but yes. I'm sure. The detect evil spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/detect-evil) in PF specifically does not detect evil aligned creatures with 1-5 hit dice (excluding clerics, undead, and evil outsiders). The paladin detect evil ability works like the spell (with the one exception mentioned below), so you should be safe until at least level 5.

I'd also point out that the paladin's detect evil class ability requires the paladin to concentrate on a specific target, not just see every evil aura in a cone like the spell. So your paladin wouldn't be looking at another creature and accidentally spot your evil aura out of the corner of his/her eye, they would have to concentrate their power on your character specifically.