PDA

View Full Version : Whips and Improved Trips

Jesterface
2013-04-19, 05:25 PM
Does Improved Trip work in conjunction with the trip attack option of a whip at all?

Or bolas for that matter?

Urpriest
2013-04-19, 06:19 PM
Does Improved Trip work in conjunction with the trip attack option of a whip at all?

Or bolas for that matter?

Whips don't have a special trip attack option that's different from other weapons. You can make a trip attack with a whip, yes, but it works under the same rules as making a trip attack with a guisarme or any other weapon that lets you use it to trip. Improved Trip still applies.

Improved Trip only works if you trip an opponent in melee combat, so bolas won't work.

Jesterface
2013-04-19, 06:35 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant with the whip. Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated :)

LanSlyde
2013-04-19, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant with the whip. Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated :)

If your going to be playing around with Improved Trip, you might want to look at the Knockdown feat. So long as you deal 10dmg to your target with a normal attack you get a free trip attempt.

Jesterface
2013-04-20, 04:31 AM
Since the player's looking at a halfling jester, it's probably unlikely he'll be doing that much damage, but it's something to consider.

Is there any way to get tripping bonuses on bolas by any chance?

ericgrau
2013-04-20, 04:35 AM
You still get the +4 bonus from improved trip on bolas, just not the extra attack. Size bonuses also apply. You can use a potion of enlarge person, for example.

Jesterface
2013-04-20, 04:42 AM
Ah, wicked, cheers! That's useful to know!

Doorhandle
2013-04-20, 05:06 AM
Since the player's looking at a halfling jester, it's probably unlikely he'll be doing that much damage, but it's something to consider.

Is there any way to get tripping bonuses on bolas by any chance?

Shame you're not playing pathfinder, as a certain feat chain makes whips really badass. Problem is, it's very feat intensive, and I doubt he's getting any bonuses.

hymer
2013-04-20, 05:07 AM
Is Knockdown a PF feat? If not, where can I find it?

Jesterface
2013-04-20, 05:16 AM
It might well be, I can't find it in my 3.5 stuff. We're playing 3.5, and the player is set on using bolas and slings to get his halfling racial bonus. We never go for optimisation in my groups, but we do try to utilise a race's abilities as best we can.

Telonius
2013-04-20, 06:11 AM
It might well be, I can't find it in my 3.5 stuff. We're playing 3.5, and the player is set on using bolas and slings to get his halfling racial bonus. We never go for optimisation in my groups, but we do try to utilise a race's abilities as best we can.

It's from Sword and Fist (3.0 material) and reprinted in Deities and Demigods (also 3.0).

hymer
2013-04-20, 06:19 AM
Many tanks.

Jesterface
2013-04-20, 06:30 AM
It's from Sword and Fist (3.0 material) and reprinted in Deities and Demigods (also 3.0).

Probably why I've not come across it, I tend to avoid using those books :smallconfused:

LanSlyde
2013-04-20, 10:58 AM
Probably why I've not come across it, I tend to avoid using those books :smallconfused:

The true warrior disdains no weapon in his fight against the forces arrayed against him. :smalltongue:

Jesterface
2013-04-21, 01:47 AM
Not to say that I've not looked over them and decided against using them :smallamused:

Norin
2013-04-21, 02:12 AM
Take a look at factotum to gain int to your trip checks. :smallsmile:

Jesterface
2013-04-21, 12:00 PM
Well, guess I better actually give Factotum a proper read through. I tend not to be a massive fan of the 'Jack of All Trades' build.

ericgrau
2013-04-21, 12:33 PM
I screwed up on the enlarge person + bola thing. The weapon shrinks again as soon as it leaves your hand. Technically you are still large so you get the bonus, but I don't think the DM will let that fly. Still works with melee weapons including whips.

Fitz10019
2013-04-22, 03:43 AM
If he has a whip, couldn't he trip from 15' away, drop the whip, 5-ft step while drawing the longspear, and stab 2-handed with the longspear (as the extra attack from Improved Trip)?

I guess this depends on your reading of "you immediately get a melee attack..." [emphasis added].

If 'immediately' is emphasized, note a mounted character can wield a lance one-handed. You could whip-trip someone 10ft away, and then hit them with your lance. No need to drop anything, or move anywhere.