PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Channel Energy Heal/Harm, Same Time?

cloudjsh7
2013-04-19, 06:22 PM
As the title suggests: when using their Channel Energy class feature, do clerics (who chose positive energy) both heal their allies and harm undead at the same time?

A good cleric (or a neutral cleric who worships a good deity) channels positive energy and can choose to deal damage to undead creatures or to heal living creatures. An evil cleric (or a neutral cleric who worships an evil deity) channels negative energy and can choose to deal damage to living creatures or to heal undead creatures.

This is probably another RAI/RAW.
Thoughts, Giants?

Renen
2013-04-19, 06:26 PM
Well, the quote says OR.
Perhaps Im misunderstanding your question?

Urpriest
2013-04-19, 06:32 PM
The description further says that channeling energy affects all creatures of one type (either undead or living) in the burst, which confirms the impression. PF clerics can channel to heal their allies or hurt undead, but without feats or the like they can't do both at the same time.

cloudjsh7
2013-04-19, 06:32 PM
One of my players state that all their cleric has to choose is whether to channel positive or negative energy.
I thought that when using Channel Energy, a cleric would either heal their allies OR harm undead.

My player believes that the healing and harming happen at the same time.

My understanding: A positive cleric either heals living creatures OR harms undead. An evil cleric harms living creatures OR heals undead.

His understanding: A positive cleric heals living creatures AND harms undead. An evil cleric harms living creatures AND heals undead.

Which one is it?

Urpriest
2013-04-19, 06:40 PM
One of my players state that all their cleric has to choose is whether to channel positive or negative energy.
I thought that when using Channel Energy, a cleric would either heal their allies OR harm undead.

My understanding: A positive cleric either heals living creatures OR harms undead. An evil cleric harms living creatures OR heals undead.

His understanding: A positive cleric heals living creatures AND harms undead. An evil cleric harms living creatures AND heals undead.

Which one is it?

A positive Cleric chooses, each time they use Channel Energy, whether they want to heal living creatures or harm undead. The ability only does one or the other at a time, as made clear in the second to last paragraph of the ability.

Renen
2013-04-19, 08:44 PM

Which one is it?

Yeh, what urpriest said. I think what is confusing him might be this: Neutral players choosing whether they are negative or positive.

Here though, its very clear, you channel energy (which is positive for good clerics and negative for evil clerics, and w/e they chose at character creation for neutrals), and you direct it at healing allies OR harming undead.

Valdras
2013-04-21, 04:50 AM
Out of curiosity. is there any way possible to make it do both at the same time?