PDA

View Full Version : Question about coup de grace

DASLAYARGH
2013-04-19, 06:27 PM
It says for the definition of coup de grace: "A coup de grace can be administered with a melee weapon, or with a bow or crossbow if the attacker is adjacent to the opponent. An attacker delivering a coup de grace automatically scores a critical hit, after which the defender must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. Rogues also gain their extra sneak attack damage for this attack."

I happen to be a rogue, so I also get that extra sneak attack damage. However, my real question has to do with my rapier with spell storing. If I store a spell that does damage to the target when released (Combust in this case), does this extra damage get added to the DC for the Fortitude save vs. death?

Chaosvii7
2013-04-19, 06:33 PM
If I store a spell that does damage to the target when released (Combust in this case), does this extra damage get added to the DC for the Fortitude save vs. death?

I would say no, as the text of spell storing suggests that casting the spell is not only optional, but casting the spell is separate from the attack. Because you hit with an attack, you could cast the spell, but it would not add onto the damage because it's an action separate from trying to coup de grace(a swift action, as I recall).

Pickford
2013-04-19, 06:36 PM
It says for the definition of coup de grace: "A coup de grace can be administered with a melee weapon, or with a bow or crossbow if the attacker is adjacent to the opponent. An attacker delivering a coup de grace automatically scores a critical hit, after which the defender must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. Rogues also gain their extra sneak attack damage for this attack."

I happen to be a rogue, so I also get that extra sneak attack damage. However, my real question has to do with my rapier with spell storing. If I store a spell that does damage to the target when released (Combust in this case), does this extra damage get added to the DC for the Fortitude save vs. death?

Yes. You might also consider posting these in the thread at the top for 3.5 questions.