PDA

View Full Version : The Doily Theory

Tiktik Ironclaw
2013-04-19, 06:57 PM
Yes, I am referencing the joke strip #33. Here me out! I was talking to my friend and fellow OOTS reader this morning, and he said, "If V knows that doilies are so powerful, why doesn't she wear one?" So I came up with a theory. The Oracle said being, not beings in his prophecy. So, technically, the prophecy hasn't come true. So, the right four words will be, "I'll wear a doily.", which she will say to a doily salesman. Now feel free to react in any outrageous way you please.

SaintRidley
2013-04-19, 07:20 PM
The being was Vaarsuvius. The four words were "I-I must succeed."

B. Dandelion
2013-04-19, 07:26 PM
What SaintRidley said. If you need Word of God for total confirmation, Don't Split the Party is very upfront about it.

"Did events come to pass as the Oracle predicted? Yes. The being in question? Vaarsuvius him/herself. The four words? "I...I must succeed," spoken at the end of #634."

Plus part of the point of Vaarsuvius' arc there is that "raw arcane power can't solve every problem," so no sense revisiting the notion of complete and total arcane power when it's already been debunked and painful lessons learned in the process.

half-drow63
2013-04-19, 08:20 PM
Yes, I am referencing the joke strip #33. Here me out! I was talking to my friend and fellow OOTS reader this morning, and he said, "If V knows that doilies are so powerful, why doesn't she wear one?" So I came up with a theory. The Oracle said being, not beings in his prophecy. So, technically, the prophecy hasn't come true. So, the right four words will be, "I'll wear a doily.", which she will say to a doily salesman. Now feel free to react in any outrageous way you please.

that "friend" he is talking about is me !!!:smallbiggrin:

Shred-Bot
2013-04-19, 09:18 PM
Who's to say that V isn't wearing some kind of lacy doily underclothes under those wizard robes?

Rogar Demonblud
2013-04-20, 12:28 AM
I did not need that image.

Gopher
2013-04-20, 01:41 AM
Is a doily even an article of clothing? I've only heard about the kind you put on end tables.

thereaper
2013-04-20, 02:40 AM
This is the Giant in the Playground forums. Things like "logic", "reason", and "common sense" have no place here.

Killer Angel
2013-04-20, 03:20 AM
The humble doily is the gateway to ultimate cosmic power, so it will clearly play a role in this story.

oppyu
2013-04-20, 06:30 AM
I like how people responded to the joke thread by quoting the Giant in explaining why the joke was not a viable prediction of future events.

St Fan
2013-04-20, 06:41 AM
If everything else fails, at least the doilies can be thrown like shuriken.

The above is an Empowered joke, if anyone is wondering.

SaintRidley
2013-04-20, 07:12 AM
I like how people responded to the joke thread by quoting the Giant in explaining why the joke was not a viable prediction of future events.
Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between joking and just plain out there.

Jay R
2013-04-20, 08:26 AM
The humble doily is the gateway to ultimate cosmic power, so it will clearly play a role in this story.

:mitd: Wait. What gateway?

137beth
2013-04-20, 02:01 PM
Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between joking and just plain out there.

Yea, I think this was probably a joke, but more absurd theories have been proposed by people who are totally serious.

Haluesen
2013-04-20, 02:49 PM
This is the Giant in the Playground forums. Things like "logic", "reason", and "common sense" have no place here.

This is very brilliant. :smallsmile: Mind if I spread these wise teachings?

And also on the topic at hand, the doily is clearly the ultimate abjuration-based magical item. Varsuvius will use it at the last minute to reflect some uber-OP spell that Xykon has back at him, thus ending his reign of tyranny forever and leaving more room for ElanxHaley ness!

For all you so serious people out there, this is in fact a joke...and a great one. I hope no one needs to open this spoiler.

J's
2013-04-20, 02:59 PM
Is a doily even an article of clothing? I've only heard about the kind you put on end tables.

Now a days doilies are often made of paper. But originally it was a peice of lace made of non-delicate thread, so yes clothing is a possibility. But if the shape isnt fidled with in some way i am sure it would be uncomfortable, and changing the shape would interfere with the energy flow mentioned. I suppose you could just tack it on to the front of an undershirt, but then you might as well wear it as a necklace.

They are designed to be decorative way to prevent a bowl from sliding off of the plate it is on when servers move it.

LuPuWei
2013-04-20, 03:07 PM
And so Dilton is an Epic Wizard.

denthor
2013-04-20, 07:52 PM
This is very brilliant. :smallsmile: Mind if I spread these wise teachings?

And also on the topic at hand, the doily is clearly the ultimate abjuration-based magical item. Varsuvius will use it at the last minute to reflect some uber-OP spell that Xykon has back at him, thus ending his reign of tyranny forever and leaving more room for ElanxHaley ness!

For all you so serious people out there, this is in fact a joke...and a great one. I hope no one needs to open this spoiler.

I had to open the spoiler!!!

The shame the shame

I feel like :elan: I am so on an adventure!!

Vinyadan
2013-04-21, 05:48 PM
http://s14.postimg.org/paygvqi1r/Tim_Exile_the_king.jpg

"One day, my dear, one day we will have a doily, and all that we have lost shall be ours again..."

Haluesen
2013-04-21, 06:54 PM

The shame the shame

Ha such is how it goes. I hope more get to open it. :smalltongue:

Any other doily theorists here?

Sir_Leorik
2013-04-22, 12:36 PM

Don't be silly. The doilies will play their role in V's destiny, but not in the way anyone (even V him/herself) thinks. See doilies are used for more than just placing beneath a dessert pedastal. What few know is that doilies are also used as a head covering for women in Temples on the Northern Continent! On the Northern Continent it is well known that Dwarven women cover their hair, usually with a chain mail coif or an iron and leather helmet. The less devout Human women of the Northern Continent only cover their hair when they enter a Temple (usually young women ask Freya to help them get a boyfriend, while their mothers ask Frigga to make sure their daughters don't get a boyfriend before they get married.) But chain mail coifs and iron and leather helms are expensive, so most Temples just put a box of doilies next to the entrance to the main sanctuary, next to a box of silk skullcaps for any Human males who don't own a winged helmet.

I predict that the doilies and the silk skullcaps will reveal V's sex, when V is forced to put on either a doily or a silk skullcap in order to enter a Temple for the Bas Mitzvah of Doom! Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :smallbiggrin:

Shred-Bot
2013-04-22, 03:39 PM
Don't be silly. The doilies will play their role in V's destiny, but not in the way anyone (even V him/herself) thinks. See doilies are used for more than just placing beneath a dessert pedastal. What few know is that doilies are also used as a head covering for women in Temples on the Northern Continent! On the Northern Continent it is well known that Dwarven women cover their hair, usually with a chain mail coif or an iron and leather helmet. The less devout Human women of the Northern Continent only cover their hair when they enter a Temple (usually young women ask Freya to help them get a boyfriend, while their mothers ask Frigga to make sure their daughters don't get a boyfriend before they get married.) But chain mail coifs and iron and leather helms are expensive, so most Temples just put a box of doilies next to the entrance to the main sanctuary, next to a box of silk skullcaps for any Human males who don't own a winged helmet.

I predict that the doilies and the silk skullcaps will reveal V's sex, when V is forced to put on either a doily or a silk skullcap in order to enter a Temple for the Bas Mitzvah of Doom! Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :smallbiggrin:

However this will happen off-panel (or perhaps under a large CENSORED bar), and the mystery will be solved only for the characters, not the readers. In respect for V's privacy and due to the importance of the goal at hand, the Order will never discuss this revelation. :smalltongue:

Sir_Leorik
2013-04-22, 04:45 PM

However this will happen off-panel (or perhaps under a large CENSORED bar), and the mystery will be solved only for the characters, not the readers. In respect for V's privacy and due to the importance of the goal at hand, the Order will never discuss this revelation. :smalltongue:

Nah, the High Priest of Thor will insist that V choose a doily or a silk skullcap, and then the panel will suddenly cutaway to Xykon, Redcloak and the MitD tasting the chopped liver. (Or at least the MitD tasting the chopped liver. And the cholent.) When we return to the OotS in the next panel, V will be wearing the sterotypical pointy wizard hat that Elan wore when he wanted to be a wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html).

ericgrau
2013-04-29, 06:05 AM
Spoiler alert! I have it all figured out.

V will achieve ultimate arcane power by declaring "I am a metrosexual" while holding up the doily that he carefully knitted with arcane threads into the ultimate arcane artifact that only one such as he could have discovered. While Xykon and Redcloak are performing the ritual at the gate, V seals the gate with the doily, and traps Xykon and Redcloak inside. Belkar also got sucked in and transformed into the Belkatron 2000 golem. He fights the baddies in the alternate world and becomes the main hero of the next comic. Thus his prophecies of not being long for this world, not breathing and having no reason to invest in his retirement for this world are all fulfilled. The day is saved in a dramatic fashion that seals the ultimate evil for 1,000 years so Elan gets his happy ending.

Meanwhile Durkon escapes to dwarven lands as a vampire, thus he has returned posthumously. With no other challenges to deal with, the OotS easily defeat him and raise him from the dead, and he lives a long life thereafter.

I really hope you don't take me seriously.

No, seriously, why are you even looking further. I'm not serious.

Ya that's a good point, being serious about not being serious is a bit confusing wording. Ok, simply put, I am not serious.

Huh? Why are you still doing this? I'm done. That was it.

Oh just give it up already.

oppyu
2013-04-29, 07:03 AM
Spoiler alert! I have it all figured out.

V will achieve ultimate arcane power by declaring "I am a metrosexual" while holding up the doily that he carefully knitted with arcane threads into the ultimate arcane artifact that only one such as he could have discovered. While Xykon and Redcloak are performing the ritual at the gate, V seals the gate with the doily, and traps Xykon and Redcloak inside. Belkar also got sucked in and transformed into the Belkatron 2000 golem. He fights the baddies in the alternate world and becomes the main hero of the next comic. Thus his prophecies of not being long for this world, not breathing and having no reason to invest in his retirement for this world are all fulfilled. The day is saved in a dramatic fashion that seals the ultimate evil for 1,000 years so Elan gets his happy ending.

Meanwhile Durkon escapes to dwarven lands as a vampire, thus he has returned posthumously. With no other challenges to deal with, the OotS easily defeat him and raise him from the dead, and he lives a long life thereafter.

I really hope you don't take me seriously.

No, seriously, why are you even looking further. I'm not serious.

Ya that's a good point, being serious about not being serious is a bit confusing wording. Ok, simply put, I am not serious.

Huh? Why are you still doing this? I'm done. That was it.

Oh just give it up already.

I have a compulsive need to open any spoiler tab, ever. That was mean :smallmad:

LuPuWei
2013-04-29, 08:26 AM
I have a compulsive need to open any spoiler tab, ever. That was mean :smallmad:

But the final tab was really quite awesome... :smalleek:

Jay R
2013-04-29, 09:55 AM

The shame the shame

You're participating!