PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Question

Renen
2013-04-19, 10:18 PM
If im correct, you cant gestalt 2 classes that add the same bonuses, like two classes which both advance arcane casting, allowing you to have lvl 9 spells at lvl 10.

But what about classes that fully progress another class?
In a PbP gestalt game I applied to, I want to play a swordsage. I also want to have Legacy champion in there somewhere. How would that work? Can I advance them both at once? Or can I only specifically advance swordsage when Legacy champion doesnt advance him (Levels 1 and 7 I believe).
So whenever I take levels 1 and 7 of Legacy champion, thats when I can specifically advance Swordsage?

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-19, 10:24 PM
If im correct, you cant gestalt 2 classes that add the same bonuses, like two classes which both advance arcane casting, allowing you to have lvl 9 spells at lvl 10.

I have no idea what you're saying here, so I'm going to guess. No, you can't take the same class on both sides of the Gestalt, but you can take two arcane spellcasting classes, like Wizard and Sorcerer. At level ten you'd cast as a tenth level Wizard, and as a tenth level Sorcerer.

But what about classes that fully progress another class?
In a PbP gestalt game I applied to, I want to play a swordsage. I also want to have Legacy champion in there somewhere. How would that work? Can I advance them both at once? Or can I only specifically advance swordsage when Legacy champion doesnt advance him (Levels 1 and 7 I believe).
So whenever I take levels 1 and 7 of Legacy champion, thats when I can specifically advance Swordsage?

I haven't the faintest clue what the PrC does, sorry.

Renen
2013-04-19, 11:23 PM
The prc fully advances another classes abilities at all levels except 1 and 7.
So a lvl 10, legacy champion progresses another class fully by 8the levels, except for saves, BAB and HD

Urpriest
2013-04-19, 11:27 PM
You can't progress the same ability twice in a level in the typical interpretation of the gestalt rules, no matter what classes you use to do so.

Note that since gestalt is a sketch rather than actual rules, the specifics will come down to your individual DM.

Renen
2013-04-19, 11:53 PM
Well I was thinking it might advance twice as fast or just not work at all

Hylas
2013-04-20, 12:39 AM
Note that since gestalt is a sketch rather than actual rules, the specifics will come down to your individual DM.

This is true.

In order to stop my players from trying to game the system (such as going Rogue20//Fighter1/Something with sneak attack19) I just turn everything into fractional bonuses. Each level of Rogue gives +1/2 sneak attack, so you can't get +20d6 sneak attack.

So when it comes to a class that advances another class's abilities, I just turn it into fractional. Let's say you had Druid one one side and then "something that levels up druid abilities" on the other. By using fractional abilities you have less confusion over what level your animal companion might be.

Remember, gestalt is not for increasing your abilities beyond what they can normally do, it's a set of rules for giving your characters more options in any given situation. If you've made a level 10 character with level 20 arcane casting you have done something wrong. I recommend reading all of the gestalt rules in Unearthed Arcana.

Lateral
2013-04-20, 12:40 AM
Well I was thinking it might advance twice as fast or just not work at all

The latter.