PDA

View Full Version : Delaying the inevitable

Qc Storm
2013-04-20, 02:57 AM
Sunday, my players will come across a deck of many things. This is the first time all of them will see this item in play, and is sure to cause quite a ruckus.

However, the neat tarot deck I ordered for this occasion has yet to arrive and will not be in time for next game. And thus, I need a way to prevent my players from using the deck for that session. Preferably something they can fix easily the session after, so the campaign can be destroyed by player greed.

What do you suggest?

Gildedragon
2013-04-20, 03:01 AM
lock on the case both arcane and mundane. needs to be disabled or for the stars to be right to be used. The last user of the deck was so overcome by the results they decided to lock it up.

ethereal filcher: hey that thing stole our stuff. lets chase it for 1 session

Killer Angel
2013-04-20, 03:09 AM
That, or:the lock need a particular key, and the session will be about finding the key.

Failed Phantasm
2013-04-20, 03:28 AM
Take some inspiration from the name of your thread and actually throw some Inevitables at them. Considering how much a Deck of Many Things can screw with the fabric of reality, it's conceivable that a Quarut has also discovered the location of the Deck and is en route to repossess or destroy it. Assuming, that is, your group can handle a Quarut.

Your party would then, literally, be delaying the Inevitable. (And then dismantling it.)

rot42
2013-04-20, 03:49 AM
The ghost of the last user is bound to the Deck and must be freed or destroyed before they can access the artifact. Roleplay with the ghost and perhaps some local spirits friendly to the guardian to build up the capricious power of the Deck, then they either go on some short preferably Deck-themed quest or attack a canny monster with a number of Deck-themed powers.

TuggyNE
2013-04-20, 04:06 AM
Take some inspiration from the name of your thread and actually throw some Inevitables at them. Considering how much a Deck of Many Things can screw with the fabric of reality, it's conceivable that a Quarut has also discovered the location of the Deck and is en route to repossess or destroy it. Assuming, that is, your group can handle a Quarut.

I support this notion, and it has the further happy side effect that if your party can't handle the Quarut, they don't have to deal with the Deck either. :smalltongue: That's what you call a win/win.