PDA

View Full Version : What is the use of the tumor familiar

about50heavies
2013-04-20, 08:48 AM
I am just curious about the utility of the tumor familiar for the alchemist? also does the deliver touch spell ability allow you to use mutagens as touch spells so that I could buff others.

Chaosvii7
2013-04-20, 09:58 AM
I am just curious about the utility of the tumor familiar for the alchemist? also does the deliver touch spell ability allow you to use mutagens as touch spells so that I could buff others.

Die For Your Master also makes is a useful, albeit morbid, defense mechanism.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-20, 10:23 AM
It's not as useful as it is for a normal caster, since your "spell" list is limited and you need to pay a feat/discovery tax to use yours on other people like any other caster can.

That said, I love my tumor familiar, I even made him an Improved Familiar.
Compsognathus gives you +4 initiative, which alone is basically giving you your feat back. It also has all your skill ranks, so it can aid another like a fiend. My DM let me choose its feat(s) since most familiars' default feats are worthless (Weapon Finesse - all familiars get this for free, or Imp. Init - I've yet to have a DM that had familiar not just act on master's init count), so I gave it Additional Traits to get the Helpful trait. +4 aid another is pretty sweet. Once you have enough Use Magic Device ranks, it can start using wands for you, too. Extra combat actions is always nice.

Finally, one thing I am considering for my level 11 feat is Improved Share Spells.

"An alchemist’s extracts and mutagens are considered spells for the purposes of familiar abilities like share spells and deliver touch spells."

Giving it my Mutagen along with me getting it is pretty nice. It still can't really fight, but in my case Mutagen is +4 dex (always helpful) and at level 12 would be +6 dex, +4 con... and my improved familiar is a faerie dragon, so his breath weapon is actually pretty kick ass; +4 con means +2 save DC.

about50heavies
2013-04-20, 12:18 PM
Does the deliver touch spell feature for familiar do