PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Sphere Scholar

Cruiser1
2006-11-22, 08:24 PM
"Congratulations," the disembodied voice intoned.

Tarna jumped violently. She looked around for more orcs, ready to send into them her Flaming Sphere that still had some time left, but all the orcs were dead. Her companions were still looting the bodies, with nobody paying attention to her. Except this mysterious voice.

"We especially appreciate that powerful Fireball you used to take out the orc shaman and half his bodyguards," the quiet voice continued. "To make a spell burn the exact same temperature every casting, without being affected by the randomness that so often distorts magic, is order and consistency remarkable in one so young. And to do that without preparation ahead of time really caught our attention."

"I can only suddenly maximize a spell like that once a day," Tarna whispered. She couldn't help but appreciate the compliment. "Who are you and how are you talking to me. Are you using Message through a Scry spell?"

"Very good. You are not only able to recognize spells, but know of ones you are not able to cast yet. They were right about you having potential. That potential can be developed, if you are willing. Who we are is not important. What is important is that we can help you develop your abilities."

"Can you teach me how to Scry like that?"

"Yes, but there are better things to learn. For now let's go back to your Fireball. And that Flaming Sphere. Magic requires order and discipline, and the Sphere is the ultimate manifestation of order and perfection. If you understand the Sphere, you understand magic. Focus on the Sphere, and all things will come from it. But let us not get ahead of ourselves too quickly. There are many ways magic can be shaped into spheres, and many ways those methods can be improved upon. Would you like to become a part of our Order?"

Tarna looked at her Flaming Sphere, which was still resting on top of a dead orc. It winked out. She considered. There was often a catch or unseen price in situations like this. Few things were given without something being asked in return. She said as much.

"You are as wise as you are talented," the voice continued smoothly. "Yes, we do want something, and that's the opportunity to teach others what we've learned about the Sphere, to share our abilities so others may continue the appreciation and carry the knowledge. Nothing more. We don't require payment, service, or even allegiance. We already have everything we could ever want, except a willing student. Shall that be you?"

Sphere Scholar

Hit Die: d4

Requirements: To qualify to become a Sphere Scholar, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any non-chaotic.
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge Arcana 8 ranks
Feats: Any metamagic feat
Spells: Able to cast three different sphere spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher. A "sphere spell" is defined as a spell with "sphere", "ball", "globe", or "orb" in its name. This does not include spells that obviously aren't related to spheres, such as "BALLad of love" or "fORBid passage".Class Skills: The Sphere Scholar’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Learn Sphere Spell, Sphere Metamagic|+1 level of spellcasting class
[/table]

Class Features: All of the following are Class Features of the Sphere Scholar prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sphere Scholars gain proficiency with the morningstar (a stick with a spiked sphere on the end) and the flail (a chain with a spiked sphere on the end).

Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new Sphere Scholar level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if they had also gained a level in a spellcasting class they belonged to before they added the prestige class. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that they adds the level of Sphere Scholar to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

Learn Sphere Spell
At each Sphere Scholar level, the character learns about a new sphere spell of their choice. This spell must be one on their spell list, and low enough level for them to be able to cast. See this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27881) for examples of fun sphere spells. :smallsmile: A spellbook class must still scribe the spell into their spellbook before they can cast it, and must still pay any ink and related costs to actually scribe the spell into it, but they don't have to buy a scroll or borrow a spellbook to get a copy of the spell in the first place. A spontaneous spellcasting class like Sorcerer doesn't learn any additional spells, meaning they don't benefit from this ability (beyond this providing a roleplaying source where they learned the spell from).

Sphere Metamagic
At each Sphere Scholar level, the character chooses a Sphere Metamagic feat, from the following list: Sphere Empower, Sphere Enlarge, Sphere Extend, Sphere Heighten, Sphere Maximize, Sphere Quicken, Sphere Silent, Sphere Still, Sphere Widen, Sphere Energy Subsitution [any element type], and Sphere Sculpt .

A Sphere Metamagic feat is exactly the same as the standard metamagic feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats) of the same name with respect to effect and spell slot adjustments, except it can only be applied to one specific sphere spell chosen at the time the feat is taken. For example, one could take "Sphere Empower (Fireball)", and thereafter they'd be able to apply Empower Spell when preparing Fireball (but not any other spell, unless they also have the generic Empower Spell feat, or take Sphere Empower again at a later level for a different spell). With Sphere Energy Substitution one must choose both a specific element type and a specific spell. For example, one could take "Sphere Energy Substitution: Electricity (Fireball)" and have the option to prepare Lightningballs instead of Fireballs (but not any other element, and again not any other spell).

Sphere Sculpt is the one Sphere Metamagic feat that can be applied to any spell, even non-sphere spells. It's like standard Sculpt Spell except that the area of effect of the spell sculpted must be changed to a 20 foot diameter ball. For example, one could apply Sphere Sculpt to Lightning Bolt for another way to be able to cast a Lightningball.

[B]Ex-Sphere Scholars
A Sphere Scholar who ceases to appreciate spheres, changes to a Chaotic alignment, or doesn't know at least one sphere spell per character level in Sphere Scholar, loses their mental connection with the Order, but doesn't lose any abilities gained. They cannot thereafter gain levels as a Sphere Scholar until they correct their problems and no longer violate any of these precepts.

The Sphere Scholar is an attempt at a prestige class for Evokers. You trade bonus feats and familiar progression for a bunch of minor metamagic feats and cheaper access to additional spells. Most characters in it worship Boccob (magic itself) or Pelor (the Sun is a giant sphere), although it's not a requirement. The people behind the Order of the Sphere are up to the DM and the player. I consider them Lawful Neutral, with more good than evil tendencies, although they usually ignore such petty issues in preference to their interest in magic. The founder and leader of the Order of the Sphere is none other than the ghost of Otiluke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otiluke) himself, researcher of many sphere spells. If the character gains enough levels, perhaps they can meet members of the order in person instead of just receiving messages from afar, and maybe even enter the order's inner circle (no pun intended). :smallwink:

Fizban
2006-11-22, 10:05 PM
I tried to think of how to say it pretty, but I can't.
Sorcerer love.

My advice: change the bonus spells known to each even level and make them usable by sorcs, and on 1st/3rd/9th levels give any metamagic feat, but only usable on sphere spells. Cap it off with the loss of one level of spellcasting at 1st, and you're good to go.

The minor spellcasting loss makes it into a PrC with cost. Allowing sorcerers to use the bonus spells makes it non-wizard only, and the metamagic gets simpler.

knightsaline
2006-11-23, 03:35 AM
this class shas the potential to make a 6th level wiz/sorc (it matters not) have a caster level if 13. a caster level of 13 is impossible (barring epic). make it so that the spellcasting progression progresses every second level.

Cruiser1
2006-11-23, 05:43 AM
I tried to think of how to say it pretty, but I can't. Sorcerer love. My advice: change the bonus spells known to each even level and make them usable by sorcs, and on 1st/3rd/9th levels give any metamagic feat, but only usable on sphere spells. Cap it off with the loss of one level of spellcasting at 1st, and you're good to go. The minor spellcasting loss makes it into a PrC with cost. Allowing sorcerers to use the bonus spells makes it non-wizard only, and the metamagic gets simpler.

If this Prestige Class didn't have "Learn Sphere Spell" (which is a pretty minimal benefit for a Wizard too) it wouldn't seem biased against Sorcerers. To ensure balance, I tried to avoid changing fundamental aspects of classes, such as the limited spell selection of spontaneous casters.

Note most players these days won't even think of taking a PrC that skips a casting level. (See Logic Ninja's #1 rule of prestige classing: "thou shalt not lose caster levels".) A Sorcerer might take your modified version, but then a Wizard would never take it. (Lose a casting level and 2 bonus feats, in exchange for 3 metamagic feats that can only be applied to sphere spells?)

Many PrC's, some with much greater abilities than Sphere Scholar, have full casting progression, such as Archmage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm), Loremaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm), and Thaumaturgist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/thaumaturgist.htm). I intentionally tried to make this a PrC with no casting level loss (which is why its abilities are fairly simple) and even then I was concerned people would think it's underpowered compared to others.

Triaxx
2006-11-23, 08:54 AM
Proficiency in slings would not be out of order, because it launches small round spheres.

Fizban
2006-11-23, 01:51 PM
If this Prestige Class didn't have "Learn Sphere Spell" (which is a pretty minimal benefit for a Wizard too) it wouldn't seem biased against Sorcerers. To ensure balance, I tried to avoid changing fundamental aspects of classes, such as the limited spell selection of spontaneous casters.

Note most players these days won't even think of taking a PrC that skips a casting level. (See Logic Ninja's #1 rule of prestige classing: "thou shalt not lose caster levels".) A Sorcerer might take your modified version, but then a Wizard would never take it. (Lose a casting level and 2 bonus feats, in exchange for 3 metamagic feats that can only be applied to sphere spells?)

Many PrC's, some with much greater abilities than Sphere Scholar, have full casting progression, such as Archmage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm), Loremaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm), and Thaumaturgist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/thaumaturgist.htm). I intentionally tried to make this a PrC with no casting level loss (which is why its abilities are fairly simple) and even then I was concerned people would think it's underpowered compared to others.
Ahh, but: those PrC's all have much higher prerequisites. Loremaster requring at least 7th level and the other two more than that, so they're entitled to more abilites. As for the loss of spellcasting: that's what's fundamentally wrong with so many caster PrC's. When you take a prestige class, you should be giving something up, and for casters the only thing they have to give up is spellcasting, so they should normally lose a level or two of spellcasting to get in. If you look at newer PrC's (aside from Complete Mage, that book contradicts itself alot though), they almost always lose a level of spellcasting at 1st, 10th, or on a level with a powerful ability. As your PrC has no major abilities, a CL loss at 1st level to pay for the abilities later on makes sense.

Finally, as for making it favor the sorcerer: I can't help it, I like sorcerers, and there are few PrC's out there that are good for them. Whenever I see bonus spell known *oh, for everyone except sorcerers*, I get annoyed.

Now, other abilites you could consider that a wizard doesn't get are: spell power with sphere spells (bonus CL for effects), bonus spell DC with sphere spells, resistance to sphere spells, etc. The Argent Savant and Elemental Savant in Complete Arcane have abilities that would be great to combine for a sphere mage. You could even make it a simple variant of the elemental savant, slowly turning the character into some kind of sphere-like being. Or it could just be a variant of the Argent Savant, gaining bonuses to hit and damage with sphere spells, extending them and dispelling them. Also note that both of theses example PrC's I've mentioned lose spellcasting, the Argent Savant loses one at 1st and the Elemental at 5th and 10th.