View Full Version : Kobold Jack (Wacha! Optimize my Kobold samurai!)

Tychris1
2013-04-20, 11:30 AM
Alright, so for my next campaign I want to play a Kobold Samurai (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=33294) wielding a magic sword spear. I know Kobolds aren't the best fighters but I want to make it work anyway. As of right now i'm thinking of making the Kobold either Dragonwrought for Black/Red (Preferably Black) or giving him the dragon bloodline for one of them and making his "Lord" a powerful Dragon. I'm not averse to the notion of mounting him (Since I plan on giving him Dragon wings if he goes down the Dragonwrought path, in reference to "Jack learns to jump good") but i'd prefer to keep him on his feet. If he were to be mounted it'd only be on some draconic/lizard like/half dragon beast anyway just to stay consistent. So, are there any feats, items, templates, or prestige classes I should look for? I don't know what level he'll start at just yet though, so assume low to medium level (5-11).

Thanks.

koboldish
2013-04-20, 11:36 AM
I think dragonwrought works very well. As a samurai, you would have the constitution score to take dragon wings, so that would be great! I don't think it would need a mount, as the wings should cover that. Are you going to be good aligned? I don't remember if you can as a dragonwrought, but try to become a dragonborn of Bahamut (I think I mispelled that) to offset your constitution penalty. What made you choose spear as a weapon? I'm all for RP descisions, but I think the samurai class gives you proficiency and specialization with the katana and the wakizashi. Hope this helps!

Edit: You must be really awesome, because your sig says you play MTG and one of your former avatars was a chaod marine :smallbiggrin:.

Menzath
2013-04-20, 11:42 AM
I would recommend a Sorc dip for Awesome self buffs, like the bite spells and also the caster level getting you access to some Prc's. Though it would be even better if your DM let you make a version of mighty whallop(and greater) for slashing/piercing weapons too depending on the route you want to go.

I feel like dragon samurai can fit into this somehow and really work...

Tychris1
2013-04-20, 11:47 AM
No, i'm going to be Lawful/Chaotic Evil (My character's more of a Mad Jack, because DAT FLOWING HAIR *Spine shiver in ecstasy*). The samurai class i'm using gives me proficiency with all simple, martial, and one exotic weapon related to my ancestry. The main reasons I chose the spear are:

1. When I pick up my wings I can be a Valkyrie
2. So my character can be defensive and offensive, setting his spear against chargers
3. So that when I face down good aligned dragons, I can hurl my spear with all my force, strike the beast, and transform him into BEEFY JERKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nwIZS6Tgx0)

I was thinking of making his Ancestral Weapon an exotic weapon, but I can't find any one handed weapon that would fit.

Edit: How big of a sorc dip do you recommend? And should I take sorc first or samurai first? First level is samurai no matter what (Because DAT ANCESTRAL WEAPON) but I can swap out for different later on. Mad Jack was a product of magic anyway, so it still fits (Plus the favored warrior of a Dragon would probably wield some magic anyway).

Deathkeeper
2013-04-20, 11:55 AM
Well, using a Katana one-handed is an Exotic proficiency like the Bastard Sword, isn't it?
But anyway, I can't remember off the top of my head if it has Brace in 3.5, but a Trident is a throwable One-Handed Martial weapon and in PF it has Brace.

Tychris1
2013-04-20, 12:09 PM
Hmmmm, the Trident does trade in some crit and range to be one handed, but it also weighs less. I don't think it has Brace, as I can't find anything that says so.

Deathkeeper
2013-04-20, 12:18 PM
Hmmmm, the Trident does trade in some crit and range to be one handed, but it also weighs less. I don't think it has Brace, as I can't find anything that says so.

Actually I just checked. It has Brace; it's in the separate weapon description paragraphs on the Player's Handbook (Page 121)

Tychris1
2013-04-20, 12:20 PM
Oh, that's what you meant by Brace. Alright, Trident seems good. Still don't know how big of a Sorc dip I should do. 4 levels? 3?