PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring [Cold] subtype?

SirAxealot
2013-04-20, 01:27 PM
Pretty much what the title says. Any and all ways for a PC to get the cold subtype. Race, template, spell, wildshaping, whatevs. System is 3.5

Flickerdart
2013-04-20, 01:36 PM
Frozen Berserker feat grants you the subtype while raging.

Silva Stormrage
2013-04-20, 01:54 PM
Mantle of the Frozen soul will also give it to you permanently. It costs 2k xp though

sepchan
2013-04-20, 02:02 PM
Summoner (Synthesist Arhcetype)
Take the Beckon the Frozen Feat (Frostburn, p. 47)
Summon Eidolon using the 2nd level Summoner Spell
Gain the cold subtype and 1d6 cold damage with natural attacks for the duration of the Summon Eidolon spell.

The Feat:
Beckon the Frozen [General]
Creatures you summon are infused with cold energy and have the cold subtype.

Prerequisite: Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration)

Benefit: When you summon a creature or creatures using any summon spell, you can opt to summon a version of the creature from an extraplanar frostfell. If you do so, the summoned creature gains the cold subtype, and its natural attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of cold damage. Creatures with the fire subtype can never be enhanced with the cold subtype in this manner.

SirAxealot
2013-04-20, 02:10 PM
Summoner (Synthesist Arhcetype)
Take the Beckon the Frozen Feat (Frostburn, p. 47)
Summon Eidolon using the 2nd level Summoner Spell
Gain the cold subtype and 1d6 cold damage with natural attacks for the duration of the Summon Eidolon spell.

The Feat:
Beckon the Frozen [General]
Creatures you summon are infused with cold energy and have the cold subtype.

Prerequisite: Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration)

Benefit: When you summon a creature or creatures using any summon spell, you can opt to summon a version of the creature from an extraplanar frostfell. If you do so, the summoned creature gains the cold subtype, and its natural attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of cold damage. Creatures with the fire subtype can never be enhanced with the cold subtype in this manner.

I should have clarified this in the OP, but using 3.5

And Beckon The Frozen, unfortunately, only gets it for summons, not the player.

Mantle of the Frozen soul will also give it to you permanently. It costs 2k xp though

What's the source on this?

Darrin
2013-04-20, 02:36 PM

This was printed in Frostburn (instantaneous duration), but unfortunately it was nerfed in the Spell Compendium (1 hour/CL).

Oddly, however, mantle of the fiery spirit (Sandstorm) was *not* updated in the Spell Compendium, and is still intantaneous.

Silva Stormrage
2013-04-20, 08:33 PM
This was printed in Frostburn (instantaneous duration), but unfortunately it was nerfed in the Spell Compendium (1 hour/CL).

Oddly, however, mantle of the fiery spirit (Sandstorm) was *not* updated in the Spell Compendium, and is still intantaneous.

Ah darn I didn't see that update. I wonder why they nerfed it... It really wasn't that strong...

Azoth
2013-04-20, 08:48 PM
i think the arctic template from dragon gives you the cold subtype +0 la at that

RFLS
2013-04-21, 02:36 PM
The Dark template from Tome of Magic also gets it for you, with a whole stack of other goodies, oddly enough.

Carth
2013-04-21, 02:39 PM
Frostburn's ring of the icy soul gets it to you. Unfortunately, it costs 100k GP.

Nightgaun7
2013-04-21, 07:16 PM
i think the arctic template from dragon gives you the cold subtype +0 la at that

Nope

The Dark template from Tome of Magic also gets it for you, with a whole stack of other goodies, oddly enough.

Says Extraplanar, not Cold...

And none of the Environmental or Elemental Racial Variants in UA get it either

Yogibear41
2013-04-21, 09:29 PM
Wendingo template gives the cold subtype, but has the downside of making you want to eat everyone else in the party.

Just to Browse
2013-04-21, 09:34 PM
The cold subtype is worth a feat, but that requires homebrew...

Alleran
2013-04-21, 11:23 PM
Afelbain's Gem (the sapphire one) will give it to you, along with a cold-type breath weapon you can use 5/day. They're technically minor artifacts, but are otherwise unique (AFAIK) in that they have a price tag, meaning you should be able to purchase one (20,000gp).

Venger
2013-04-21, 11:46 PM
the 10th level of frost mage or the 7th level of winterhaunt of iborghu will both give you the cold subtype. winterhaunt's clearly the better choice there, and if you stick it out to 10, you become an elemental and gain the evil subtype.

Spuddles
2013-04-22, 01:00 AM
I think you can buy a ritual for a subtype in Savage Species. Also expands the Wish spell to duplicate some of the rituals.

dascarletm
2013-04-22, 01:40 AM
The majority of Frostburn PRCs give you that business.

Psyren
2013-04-22, 05:38 AM
Wendingo template gives the cold subtype, but has the downside of making you want to eat everyone else in the party.

Seems reasonable :smallbiggrin:

The Viscount
2013-04-29, 01:50 PM
Elemental Savant and I believe Elemental Archon also work.

Jack Zander
2013-04-29, 02:17 PM
Why do you WANT the cold subtype? If it's to gain immunities we can probably help you in other ways. If it's because you want to take extra damage against fire then... erm... why?

Dracofist
2013-04-29, 04:49 PM
Dragon Magazine 345

Thrall of Kostchtchie Prestige Class (10 lvls)

Great boosts
full BAB
Hit Die D12
+10 str
+4 Con
Summon a Demon hound
Gain Fiendish template when raging
10th lvl + Wrathful Apothesis type to Giant, increase size 1 category and
gain Cold subtype.

Miriad
2013-04-29, 07:21 PM
I am pretty sure I read about a High level spell in a dragon magazine that gave you the cold substype permanently. Lvl 6-9 druid spells I believe.

Nightgaun7
2013-04-30, 12:20 AM
Why do you WANT the cold subtype? If it's to gain immunities we can probably help you in other ways. If it's because you want to take extra damage against fire then... erm... why?

There's some spell that only works on you if you have the cold subtype I wanted to use. I'll have to see if I can find the spell, I wrote it down somewhere...

Nightgaun7
2013-04-30, 09:37 AM
Algid Enhancement is the spell.

ben-zayb
2013-04-30, 09:58 AM
What is this? No mention of PHB2's As The Frost spell yet?

Jack Zander
2013-04-30, 11:27 AM
Sounds like you don't need it all day then. Get a wand or a staff of a spell that grants you the subtype, and cast it before applying the other spell. This will be the most efficient way of gaining the benefits of the spell. I would not recommend dipping into another class just for a single spell when money will buy you all you need.