PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Arcanum setting

Nerdynick
2013-04-20, 03:37 PM
I was curious if there was ever a tabletop version of the old Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura) cRPG made- Either an officially printed book, or just a homebrew out there on the internet. My google-fu turned up nothing.

The Boz
2013-04-20, 03:40 PM
This is most relevant to my interests.

Gnorman
2013-04-20, 04:39 PM
I made an E6 homebrew class (The Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13624538&postcount=4)) that blatantly stole from Arcanum's invention system for inspiration, but wasn't directly related.

ArcturusV
2013-04-20, 07:18 PM
Ah damn I loved that game. Can't remember a game where I had as much fun. Talking an evil god of evil into just not being evil and trying to be nice. :smallbiggrin:

I can't think of one myself. Even the various "Steampunk" settings for DnD I've seen wouldn't work as they're usually based on Magic=Technology rather than the Magic vs Technology of Arcanum.

Might have to go homebrew stuff up for it. A wonderful project...

Hey, mundanes might actually stand a chance in that setting compared to Archmagus McWizardton! "I cast a Save or Lose spell", "Nope, wearing too much technology, it fails!".

If you do need to start kitbashing it up, I'll help out with it.

The Boz
2013-04-20, 07:20 PM
I am VERY interested in helping out as well!

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-20, 07:20 PM
God did I love that game. It was probably the first game I ever became truly obsessed with...

Good luck. It seems like someone could just about make it work by adapting the rules of the game itself (Levelling system, spells, etc.)

Callin
2013-04-20, 07:22 PM
OMG I loved that game!

Gnorman
2013-04-20, 07:46 PM
Might be kind of awesome. Would need a new magic system.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-20, 07:47 PM
I could see the magic system working, actually - the numbers were horribly imbalanced, but the spells themselves weren't bad.

Just, whatever you do, do *not* include the tricks to make spell effects/summons permanent.

Did everyone else know that one? :smallbiggrin:

Nerdynick
2013-04-21, 09:51 AM
If one of us does set about homebrewing this, would d20 really be the best ruleset? Or would something else work better?

ArcturusV
2013-04-21, 10:17 AM
It wouldn't be bad to use it. I mean, the things that exist in DnD but wouldn't in Arcanum, least core mechanics wise?

Arcane/Divine Split vs Unified Magic
Magic is Technology vs Magic and Technology are Opposed
Most Casting is Vancian vs What's Vancian?

Other than those three, it's mostly cosmetic stuff that can be changed without huge problems. Things like the origin of species (Suck it Elves, you're not first!), etc.

And most of the stuff up there could be quick fixed, I'm sure. I know that MP/Mana/Spell Points/Anything but Vancian is common homebrew territory, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a solution for that.

I'd suggest making all magic Divine (No armor failure) rather than Arcane. Remove the connection to Gods from the prep/casting. You're pretty much there.

The Magic versus Tech thing is kinda tricky. First though would be to repurpose Arcane Spell Failure and SR. Basically carrying Technological devices gives you automatic Arcane Spell Failure, rather than getting spell failure for Armor. If your target is wearing tech gear, they get points of Spell Resistance for it.

Same applies in reverse. Magic Items carried gives your tech a "Failure" chance when you try to use it. Magic Items on a target gives that target a Miss Chance based on their Magic Gear versus your Tech Attacks.

Something like that. It's late. It's been a long weekend...

The Boz
2013-04-21, 10:38 AM
First ideas regarding the magic vs tech stuff:
Aptitude Level: Goes from -100 to +100. Negative values is technological aptitude, positive values is magical aptitude.
each effect (technological or magical or neutral) has four different stat blocks. One for lack of aptitude (zero or negative aptitude while casting arcane spells; zero or positive aptitude when using technological wonders), one for low aptitude (1 to 50 aptitude for magic; -1 to -50 for tech), one for medium aptitude (51 to 99 for magic; -51 to -99 for tech), and finally high aptitude (100 or above for magic; -100 or below for tech).
Wrong kind of aptitude when using something = failure chance. Being affected by wrong kind of thing (as in, a fireball thrown at a guy in power armor wielding a repeater rifle) = bonus to saves vs effect.
Fireflash, for example, would be similar to the D&D Fireball, but with a 1d4 damage range with lack of aptitude, which increases to 1d6 with low aptitude, 1d8 with medium, and finally 1d10 with high aptitude, with a DC increase as aptitude increases.
Similarly, a Flamethrower would inflict 3d4, 3d6, 3d8 or 3d10 damage per attack, with also an increase in DC.
For every 10 aptitude of a given type, a character gains +1 to DCs of suitable items and +1 to saves against opposed items. Failure chance is equal to the value of wrong aptitude, but some items can increase (a scroll of Teleport, for example, would have an x2 failure chance) or decrease (a healing salve, which is a chemical concoction, would have an x0.5 failure chance) this.
Levels in classes can grant certain kind of aptitude. Yes, as long as we're in d20 territory, we shouldn't get away from class levels unless we're prepared to do a lot of work. Some classes give positive values each level (+5 for Hedge Mage or Cleric) some give negative values (+4 for Gunslinger, +5 for Chemist), some classes can choose (+/-2 for Rogue) while other classes don't have it at all (Fighter). Feats can also grant aptitude, as can race, items, magical effects, etc.

Callin
2013-04-21, 10:41 AM
But other than versatility whats an incentive to stay neutral?

The Boz
2013-04-21, 10:45 AM
But other than versatility whats an incentive to stay neutral?

Very good question. Will have to think hard for an answer. Then again, Arcanum never had an answer for it either...

Callin
2013-04-21, 10:52 AM
too true lol.

The Boz
2013-04-22, 12:01 PM
Well, here's the thing: you were alone in Arcanum.
Tabletop roleplay is a group activity. It's a bit of a problem if your only tank is an earth mage while your only healer is an alchemist. Careful balance of aptitude across the party will come into play.