PDA

View Full Version : Part of a balanced diet?

BrotherMirtillo
2013-04-20, 03:56 PM
Having never played Dungeons and Dragons (or written stories that have fun testing the boundaries of Dungeons and Dragons), I have a question I can't answer.

I know that vampires hunger for blood.

I know that Malack prefers to skip eating food (see http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0743.html).

And I know that Durkon loves a good brew. Preferably more than one.

The question is: how does Durkon's new physical fitness program change his ability to enjoy a cold one?

Berenger
2013-04-20, 04:04 PM
I guess he will instill his victims a keg of dwarven beer before sucking them dry.

[To instill somebody something? Is this proper english?]

R. Malcovitch
2013-04-20, 04:45 PM
There doesn't seem to be anything left of Durkon's old personality; he wouldn't even desire beer. When/if Malack releases him from his thrall... (SOD spoiler) He might not be able to taste. Xykon is a skeleton, obviously, but vampires don't eat food, so they might lose their sense of taste.

TRH
2013-04-20, 07:42 PM
There doesn't seem to be anything left of Durkon's old personality; he wouldn't even desire beer. When/if Malack releases him from his thrall... (SOD spoiler) He might not be able to taste. Xykon is a skeleton, obviously, but vampires don't eat food, so they might lose their sense of taste.

Possible, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Vampires are the most "human" of undead. They can often pass as normal people, are often depicted as sexual beings, and universally crave the "taste" (in quotes because it *might* be metaphorical) of blood. If any undead have a sense of taste, it would logically be the vampire. Still, Durkula probably won't care too much about beer once he's free to act on his own; odds are the horror of being an Evil undead will catch up to him much faster.

Plus, with Xykon the sense of taste was an important change with becoming a lich because he was already evil to begin with. With Durkon, evil's something new to his nature, and will take precedence in terms of character and the story.

hoff
2013-04-20, 08:41 PM
Durkula can still feed of someone drinking beer.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-04-20, 08:46 PM
Hmm...

It's been hinted here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html) that not only do vampires have a sense of taste, but it's remarkably sensitive. Also, hobgoblins sure do like their cheese.

That was just a cutaway gag, though. The wights (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0514.html) provide a more concrete example of undead exploiting taste metaphors (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0519.html). In that case, it would appear that their sense of, "taste," is adapted to analyze the quality of the life essence that they actually subsist on, and also to be a little silly.

We've also seen a ghoul that craved mortal flesh, but we don't know whether he'd actually be able to taste his num-nums or not. I'd guess he could, and in a way more approximating the way one would normally, if only because it's technically solid food.

So... it could still go either way.

ReaderAt2046
2013-04-20, 08:54 PM
I suspect that vampires can still eat mortal food and drink mortal drinks, it just doesn't nourish them in any way. So basically taste only.

Sniffnoy
2013-04-21, 03:15 AM
Hmm...

It's been hinted here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html) that not only do vampires have a sense of taste, but it's remarkably sensitive. Also, hobgoblins sure do like their cheese.

Maybe it's specialized for just tasting blood? :P

(OK, this doesn't actually seem that plausible, especially as in this case he's tasting cheese in the blood, but I figured it had to be brought up...)

King of Nowhere
2013-04-21, 08:49 AM
Malak enjoys tea, so vampiures can probably taste, even if their sense of taste is warped to be attuned to blood. Or maybe it's an acquired taste after 2000 years?
Also, not sure if durkon will be evil once released from thralldom. His nature will conflict with his personality, and durkon has a strong will. he may be able to resist it. In that case, he would become actually stronger than malak: malack had to work for all his levels with a +8 level adjustment, while durkon was already high level when the template was slapped on him.

Kilo24
2013-04-21, 03:11 PM

I doubt that. You may
recall (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0879.html) that Malack said "You will feel more like yourself once I release you from my thrall - but I worry that doing so now would be... confusing for you." To me, that clearly indicated that he would return to his original personality once released; at least enough so that he'd be very angry with Malack.

And, as others have stated, Durkon would be unlikely to lose his sense of taste. It's not impossible for it to happen, but I'd sooner ascribe Xykon's lack of taste to him losing his tongue than turning undead. The half-remembered older edition D&D rulebook I recall on the topic supports vampires keeping taste, but I wouldn't consider it significant evidence.

Now, would he be able to get drunk? Very unlikely, as undead are immune to poison.

Kish
2013-04-21, 03:49 PM
I guess he will instill his victims a keg of dwarven beer before sucking them dry.

Afraid not. Proper English would be, uh...forcefeed his victims a keg of dwarven beer, maybe?

JSSheridan
2013-04-30, 10:07 AM
Possible, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Vampires are the most "human" of undead. They can often pass as normal people, are often depicted as sexual beings, and universally crave the "taste" (in quotes because it *might* be metaphorical) of blood. If any undead have a sense of taste, it would logically be the vampire. Still, Durkula probably won't care too much about beer once he's free to act on his own; odds are the horror of being an Evil undead will catch up to him much faster.

Plus, with Xykon the sense of taste was an important change with becoming a lich because he was already evil to begin with. With Durkon, evil's something new to his nature, and will take precedence in terms of character and the story.

Also, in comic 878 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0878.html), Malack remarks how he remembers the taste of his biological family's blood.

veti
2013-04-30, 04:27 PM

Well, "instill" can mean "Put (a substance) into something in the form of liquid drops", so if we give you a bit of poetic license...

However, it should almost certainly be "instill into someone", rather than just "instill someone". (Indirect object.)

F.Harr
2013-04-30, 05:05 PM
Having never played Dungeons and Dragons (or written stories that have fun testing the boundaries of Dungeons and Dragons), I have a question I can't answer.

I know that Malack prefers to skip eating food (see http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0743.html).

The question is: how does Durkon's new physical fitness program change his ability to enjoy a cold one?

That would be a sad, sad day.

LasVegasLawyer
2013-04-30, 06:25 PM

Given that the last gate is somewhere in the North, where the temperatures are somewhat chilly, I'd imagine Rich is going to show us.

JustSomeGuy
2013-05-04, 02:22 AM

Insist could work, if you mean he forces them to drink before he kills them.

Copperdragon
2013-05-04, 04:33 AM

There's only one answer, luckily it is simple: This is up to the DM/Author. In an actual game, the player might have a word as well.

And as long as Rich does not address this we have no information at all to base any speculation on.

pwning doodes
2013-05-04, 04:02 PM
There's only one answer, luckily it is simple: This is up to the DM/Author. In an actual game, the player might have a word as well.

And as long as Rich does not address this we have no information at all to base any speculation on.

I agree with Copperdragon. It's totally up to Rich. If I had to guess, I would expect that Durkon will still have his sense of taste, though I don't know if he will still like beer. Probably there will be about one or two strips exploring this. However, as TRH said, I'm pretty sure that Durkon's change from a Lawful Good character to a vampire will be way more prominent.

I think you would say, "He will instill his victims with a keg of dwarven beer."

Bulldog Psion
2013-05-04, 04:55 PM
Well, "instill" can mean "Put (a substance) into something in the form of liquid drops", so if we give you a bit of poetic license...

However, it should almost certainly be "instill into someone", rather than just "instill someone". (Indirect object.)

I'd go with "saturate his victims with beer" myself, though there are multiple ways you could express the idea.

brionl
2013-05-04, 05:39 PM
/transylvanianaccent
"I do not drink..."
/significantpause
"Beer"

brionl
2013-05-04, 05:41 PM
I'd go with "saturate his victims with beer" myself, though there are multiple ways you could express the idea.

I'd go with Marinate.

Bulldog Psion
2013-05-04, 05:49 PM
I'd go with Marinate.

Marinate is a good word.

"Perhaps he will marinate his victims in a keg of fine dwarven beer before draining them."

Yes, that sounds about right. :smallsmile:

WastedTalent
2013-05-07, 10:13 AM
I guess Durkon will have to dine exclusively on alcoholics to get his fix from now on. Which shouldn't be too hard when he returns to the Dwarven homelands...

ReaderAt2046
2013-05-12, 07:41 PM
Alternately, Rich could rule that Durkon can still drink beer and enjoy the taste, but it provides no nourishment. It's an idea not without precedent in vampire fiction.