PDA

View Full Version : Truth about Strix...

Xander96
2013-04-20, 04:10 PM
I've read some forums about the Strix & that in dungeons they would be restricted because of their wings. Also, they would need to make a fly skill in order to make a melted attack? Is this true? Ty

Rhynn
2013-04-20, 04:33 PM
What game is this about? What is a strix, other than an owl genus (and a mythological flesh-eating owl)? Do you mean the stirge, a D&D monster? If so, they're small enough that their wings hinder them not at all.

What's a "melted attack" and a fly skill?

hewhosaysfish
2013-04-20, 05:10 PM
What game is this about? What is a strix, other than an owl genus (and a mythological flesh-eating owl)? Do you mean the stirge, a D&D monster? If so, they're small enough that their wings hinder them not at all.

What's a "melted attack" and a fly skill?

Well, Fly is a skill in Pathfinder and and the name "Strix" does sound familiar... and a quick search of the PF SRD reveals that Strix (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-strix) are a race from the Advanced Races Guide. They could be owl-people (as they have wings and are nocturnal) but the description calls them "black-skinned" rather than "black-feathered" and there's no picture so it's hard to be sure.

To answer the OP:
Strix are Medium-sized creatures and possess no special rules indicating that they need more space than any other medium sized creature.

If you are flying the you will have to make Fly checks to do things like remaining ariborne while travelling less than half your speed or to turn more than 45 degrees at a time, meaning that maneuvring in tight corridors would be veeeery tricky. But nothing should stop you from just walking down those same corridors (except pride and/or bloody-mindedness).

I'm not sure what a "melted attack" is either.

Lorsa
2013-04-20, 05:50 PM
Strix also exist in Vampire: The Requiem as the spirit-like creatures that created the bloodline Julii.

It is impossible to answer this question unless a system is defined. In general yes, strix are mythological owl-creatures.

Calmar
2013-04-20, 05:53 PM
Strix are harpy guys.

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderTales/PZO8500-Strix.jpg

Big Fau
2013-04-20, 08:34 PM
I think the OP meant "melee", not "melted".

Rhynn
2013-04-20, 09:14 PM
I think the OP meant "melee", not "melted".

Maybe the OP will eventually return and explain this mess... although y'all have done some good deduction so far.

Xander96
2013-04-20, 09:33 PM
Strix: PF. Sorry

Stupid auto correct. Yes melee, not melted. Apologies

Togath
2013-04-20, 10:30 PM
a fly check is never needed for a melee attack,and a strix can move on it's legs as easily as a human can(so even the tight corners shouldn't end up too much of an issue):smallsmile: