PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Allowing dual progression with gestalt?

claypigeons
2013-04-20, 07:09 PM
Gestalt rules are fairly light, and more or less straightforward. The outline suggests banning dual progression classes (like mystic theurge).

But what if a DM allowed them on a "can only take the PrC progression" basis? As in, you could take cleric and wizard until you met the requirement for mystic theurge, at which point you start taking levels in the PrC. You lose the other "side" of the gestalt build, but you still end up progressing casting.

MT is mathematically weaker than taking levels in wizard and PrCing the cleric side, or vice-versa (what with all the ACF and what not). But the question still remains relevant for things like Ruby Knight WVindicator and perhaps Arcane Hierophant.

Are there any shenanigans that I'm not seeing that could be exploited? As a DM, would you allow such a thing?

Snowbluff
2013-04-20, 07:53 PM
I think Windicator isn't a strict Dual Progression, so it might be allowed. Arcane Hierophant is one of 2 ways to actually be stronger than Druid. I think allowing it would mess things up. Would it double up Familiar levels?

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-20, 09:07 PM
Gestalt isn't very well defined, and each group generally needs to work out what is and isn't allowed on they're own. Everyone has slightly different rules for it.

Personally? I allow it, but I never let casting advance at a faster than normal rate. Like, if you wanted to be a Ruby Knight Vindicator you could start off as a Crusader//Cleric, but when you entered the PrC you fortified your right to take Crusader of cleric levels on either side of the gestalt until you finish the PrC, or to advance crusader or cleric in any other way. That lets you be a say (Making up numbers cause I can't remember the entry requirements off the top of my head) Crusader 5/Ruby Knight Vindicator 3//Cleric 5/Ranger 3 or something, but not a Crusader 5/Ruby Knight Vindicator 3//Cleric 8.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-04-20, 10:45 PM
The most common rule I've seen, and the rule I use, is that you have to have both sides of the progression requirements on the same side. For example, a

Wizard / Cleric / Mystic Theurge // Whatever

is perfectly valid, but

Wizard / Mystic Theurge // Cleric / Whatever

is not.