PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Master List of Epic Spell Seeds and Rules for Assembling

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-20, 09:31 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking for any compiled, updated list of stuff for Epic Spellcasting, for reference purposes. I'm mainly looking for all the seeds published and whatever passes for the most accurate version of the math for assembling an Epic Spell. The DM hasn't ruled it out, and if it's in, I want all the tools available.:smallamused:

Does such a list/index/site exist? I am most grateful for your help.:smallsmile:

Seer_of_Heart
2013-04-20, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the srd has all or nearly all the seeds if some were added in later books. http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm its on the right.

Morcleon
2013-04-20, 09:35 PM
Well, there's the list in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm)...

Beyond that, there are two found in Lost Empires of Faerun, Mythal and Shadow, arguably the two most powerful of them all.

Mythal is a large field that allows designated spells to be constantly on, usable at-will (as magic item, so no material/XP cost) or banned (this can be done with entire schools of magic too).

Shadow is basically Ice Assassin on steroids. You get to create an entirely new creature, and give it whatever you want.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-20, 09:47 PM
Well, there's the list in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm)...

Beyond that, there are two found in Lost Empires of Faerun, Mythal and Shadow, arguably the two most powerful of them all.

Mythal is a large field that allows designated spells to be constantly on, usable at-will (as magic item, so no material/XP cost) or banned (this can be done with entire schools of magic too).

Shadow is basically Ice Assassin on steroids. You get to create an entirely new creature, and give it whatever you want.

Well, the phrase "ice assassin on steroids" should be enough to stop even our ambitious DM in his tracks. I'm half trying to convince him that Epic Spellcasting is bad, since it will turn us into the surefire plotkill weapons from his worst nightmare, but maybe this will help. Sadly, this particular DM is rather inexperienced with the intricacies of spellcasting, and it's hard to get him to understand that something like the epic spell rules are even more exploitable.

TuggyNE
2013-04-20, 09:53 PM
I don't know of any epic seeds except the ones mentioned; the ELH has just about everything. (It's one of the subsystems that was thankfully never expanded upon much, since it's technically not really Core.)

Well, the phrase "ice assassin on steroids" should be enough to stop even our ambitious DM in his tracks. I'm half trying to convince him that Epic Spellcasting is bad, since it will turn us into the surefire plotkill weapons from his worst nightmare, but maybe this will help. Sadly, this particular DM is rather inexperienced with the intricacies of spellcasting, and it's hard to get him to understand that something like the epic spell rules are even more exploitable.

Yeah, the main thing about epic spellcasting is that buffs are fairly effective even without cheese*, but sufficient cheese can make almost anything brokenly powerful, even straight blasting. So it's basically like ordinary magic except with an even larger gap between optimization floor and ceiling. Not a great design.

*Is a Permanent touch-range area ward against disjunction and friends cheesy? If not, go whole hog. It fixes one glaring hole in your epic defenses.

Base: 14
Reaving Dispel: +18
Greater Dispel Magic: +12
Chain Dispel: +16
Disjunction: +18
Permanent: *5
10 minute casting: -20
21 9th-level slots: -340
Total DC: 13
Cost: 117000gp, 4680xp, 2+ days

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-20, 10:10 PM
Spellcasting makes possible anything you can imagine.

Epic Spellcasting makes possible anything you can imagine while on drugs.

Hmm, needs some work. We'll see if our DM lets the DWK sorcerer/incantatrix sip from the ambrosia of Epic Spellcasting. We're fighting Cthulu&Co., who are armed with laser beams and guns, so I don't feel much need to hold back at this point.

Morcleon
2013-04-21, 09:16 AM

Heh... :smallamused:

If you actually want epic spellcasting, I would suggest a mythal that gives wish, miracle, reality revision, true resurrection, persistent time stop, astral projection and whatever other good 9th level spells there are at-will, a number of the best buffs constantly on and all spells disallowed. Set it to only give you the at-wills and buffs, and give everyone else the no-spell thing. :smallcool:

Jack_Simth
2013-04-21, 09:37 AM
Oh. For that, just show him the first completely successful answer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=791074&postcount=9) to the Calling all Munchkins: Epic Spell Challenge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10240) thread on these very forums.