PDA

View Full Version : Speak Language vs INT

Yael
2013-04-21, 02:59 AM
So, it's supposed that Speak Language allows you to gain new languages by spending 2 skill points. Now, normally, a character is allowed a number of languages up to its Intelligence modifier.

Let's suppose that I'm running a changeling rogue

I get Speak Language always as a class skill. My Int modifier is +4.
My languages are:

Common (Default)
Abyssal
Celestial
Infernal
Undercommon

Can I keep learning languages with the Speak Language skill, even if I bypass the limit of my Int modifier?

eggynack
2013-04-21, 03:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you're misreading it. You start at first level knowing one or two languages from race, and then you get bonus languages equal to your int mod. It's not a maximum, it's actually just the amount of languages you have. After that, you can expend skill points to get languages over and above race+int mod, if you wish.

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-21, 07:17 AM
Eggynack is right. Common + racial + Int mod is your number of starting languages. Those you get for free. Investing points into the Speak Language skill is how you gain additional languages beyond the ones you start with.

Bakeru
2013-04-21, 07:24 AM
Also, since it's a class skill, you need to pay only one skill point per language.

And, as mentioned, you get int-mod bonus languages for free, any languages you buy are in addition to your free starting languages.