PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Make my horse FLY!

Doorhandle
2013-04-21, 04:43 AM
I'm rolling up one of those AM BARBARIAN builds in an attempt Beastmass (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nix8?Zen-and-the-Art-of-Monk-Maintenance-A-Guide), and I've hit a snag.

Their doesn't seem to be any items that can allow your animal companions to fly, and it is iffy that they can activate wings of flying by themselves.

Are there any items that can rectify this problem? Mounted combat isn't vital for the build, but RAGELANCEPOUNCE is helpful for anyone, particularly airborne targets (i.e 90% of everything past a certain level).

Note
* Can't get help from other classes.
* Abusing use Magic device is possible, but unprefered

BWR
2013-04-21, 05:09 AM
Get a hippogriff or a pegasus.
Oddly enough, hippogriffs are crappier mounts than pegasi, but cost more.

Keneth
2013-04-21, 05:24 AM
There is never a point where 90% of everything is flying, or your DM is just extremely well versed in aerial combat. Not having to emulate 3D combat on a 2D grid has always been a pretty good incentive for me not to bog the game down anymore than I have to with flight shenanigans.

Anyway, get a flying mount or craft a custom use-activated item.

PlusSixPelican
2013-04-21, 05:32 AM
Spec it to jumping, and you can make jumps of like, 50+ feets in the air. Unless the DM is being a butt with stuff hundreds of feet up, it should be within reach. Jumping at flying foes is cooler than flying with them, in terms of badass. Do it with uhm, putting skill ranks in acrobatics, handing it a nice dex-boosting item, and trying to lighten the load it's bearing.

Or find a custom item of Overland Flight, Fly, or Levitate.

That or just ask the DM to let it evolve into a Pegasus or something.

Or multiclass into Summoner and ride some kind of Pegasoid Eidolon.

Or, lastly, just throw stuff at the enemies in the sky. Or be Thor and throw things and don't let go.

Doorhandle
2013-04-21, 07:15 AM
Get a hippogriff or a pegasus.
Oddly enough, hippogriffs are crappier mounts than pegasi, but cost more.

Alas, Not an option for a mounted ravager: only horses allowed.

Also, I would prefer to avoid leadership, but it would get me an awesome mount... who is probably smarter than my barbain. XD.

I have toyed with the idea of a hurler barbain, and having wick-sick jumping sounds good.

More ideas!

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-21, 09:18 AM
From Ultimate Equipment, there is...

Headband of Aerial Agility

Price Varies; Aura moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Weight —

+2 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 4,500 gp; +4 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 42,000 gp; +6 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 81,000 gp

This headband is decorated with feathers from a number of colorful birds. It grants boons to flying magic, and more powerful versions grant the power of flight. The wearer of a headband of aerial agility +2 treats his caster level as if it were one level higher when casting spells or creating extracts that grant flight. A headband of aerial agility +4 gains the same benefits and, on command, grants the wearer the ability to fly (as the fly spell) three times per day. A headband of aerial agility +6 functions like a +4 version, but the headband grants the ability to use fly at will.

All versions also grant the wearer an enhancement bonus to one mental ability score (Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma) of +2, +4, or +6. Treat this as a temporary ability bonus for the first 24 hours the headband is worn. This bonus is chosen when the headband is created and cannot be changed. If the headband grants a bonus to Intelligence, it also grants skill ranks as a headband of vast intelligence, usually granting ranks in Fly, Acrobatics, or Knowledge (planes).

Construction Requirements

Cost varies

+2 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 2,250 gp; +4 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 21,000 gp; +6 Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 40,500 gp

Craft Wondrous Item, Extend Spell, fly

The most expensive version gives continuous flight. Well, infinite use, but that's basically the same thing if your DM is at all reasonable...

Note that 81,000 includes 36,000 on a +6 to a mental stat you likely don't care about for the animal; maybe DM would let you get it w/o that for 45,000 gp.

Killer Angel
2013-04-21, 09:33 AM
Are there any items that can rectify this problem? Mounted combat isn't vital for the build, but RAGELANCEPOUNCE is helpful for anyone, particularly airborne targets (i.e 90% of everything past a certain level).

At mid-low level, you can simply wander around with your horse, and in case of a big flying enemy, use that figurine of wondrous power you keep for this reason...

Slipperychicken
2013-04-21, 10:13 AM
Get someone to cast Overland Flight on the mount?

If there's any equipment which lets you do it, horses and other mounts have equipment slots (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#table-magic-item-slots-for-animals).

Doorhandle
2013-04-21, 09:17 PM
From Ultimate Equipment, there is...

The most expensive version gives continuous flight. Well, infinite use, but that's basically the same thing if your DM is at all reasonable...

Note that 81,000 includes 36,000 on a +6 to a mental stat you likely don't care about for the animal; maybe DM would let you get it w/o that for 45,000 gp.

That will work perfectly, particular as I can use it to buffer my/my mount's will score. Can I use share-spell with magic items?

Also, changed my build to caviller 10/mammoth lord 10. Getting 1.5 your mount's strength bonus to charge damage is quite good if it's as freakishly strong as a huge mammoth, and also buffers your effective C.M.D a bit because there's a goddamn mammoth in the way.

Also, confirmation of an animal equipment slots is good because if push comes to shove, I can just attach winged boots/ wings of flying to my critter and go.

Scow2
2013-04-21, 10:00 PM
Get someone to cast Overland Flight on the mount?

Unfortunately, and obnoxiously, Overland Flight is a Self-only spell (Which I absolutely hate. I have a Djinn-bloodline sorcerer with a useless 5th-level Bloodline spell because I can't cast it on my other party members, and I have a natural, faster fly speed)

Slipperychicken
2013-04-21, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, and obnoxiously, Overland Flight is a Self-only spell (Which I absolutely hate. I have a Djinn-bloodline sorcerer with a useless 5th-level Bloodline spell because I can't cast it on my other party members, and I have a natural, faster fly speed)

Hum. Would a Phantom Steed work for the OP's purposes? Nope. No help from other classes allowed.