PDA

View Full Version : New year - same birches

Asta Kask
2013-04-21, 06:22 AM
Some of you may remember the birches that seeded themselves in my balcony flower box. I am pleased to announce that they all seem to have survived the winter, despite me doing nothing. These are hardy, wild-type birch who have taken the rather harsh winter we've had here in stride and shout "That's all you've got?" at the heavens. The leaves are coming out even as we speak.

I will post from time to time in this thread.

KenderWizard
2013-04-21, 09:44 AM
If you've got seedling problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a birch ain't one.

Ahem. That sounds pretty cool! Go, hardy birches! Thrive!

Kneenibble
2013-04-21, 12:03 PM
I remember! Can you put photography? I wish to marvel at their cute little leaves.

It will also remind me that there is life elsewhere in the world: for it is snowing again here today.

noparlpf
2013-04-21, 05:52 PM
Ooh, are you going to grow birch saplings then? You should try making bonsai out of them or something. What kind of birch?

Melayl
2013-04-21, 06:35 PM
It's really , really hard to kill volunteer trees. I'm glad to hear they still brighten your balcony. :smallsmile:

If you keep them potted in large enough containers, they'll likely last for decades...

Asta Kask
2013-04-22, 05:12 AM
Ooh, are you going to grow birch saplings then? You should try making bonsai out of them or something. What kind of birch?

Probably this one. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betula_pendula) Although I'd have to ask.