PDA

View Full Version : Can you define the wizard's alignment?

Jon_Dahl
2013-04-21, 09:11 AM
I'm having problems defining this wizard's alignment, so please give me your opinion.

Recently a nation has been destroyed by spectres. There are 30,000 spectres there at the moment, but they are simply holding their ground. They are commanded by a disembodied demon lord, who is trying to restore his physical form. The word of the demon lord is the only thing that keeps the world alive.

The demonic ambassadors of the demon approach the mighty wizard and offer him 500,000 gp if he helps the demon lord to recover his body.

The wizard agrees and wants to help the demon lord to establish a cult in his kingdom. This is a pleasant surprise to the ambassadors.

The wizard thinks that unless he agrees, someone else will since the compensation is right. Some lich somewhere would be happy to help the demon lord out. He has no plans to leave empty-handed and possibly die a miserable death when the spectres attack. He doesn't want to evacuate either, because most likely the spectres will simply destroy the whole world in one swoop. He could escape to another dimension, but they are such boring places.

There is also the possibility that the forces of good might destroy the demon lord at any moment, and the spectres would be released to blight the world since there is no commander anymore. The demon lord might also grow tired of waiting and simply destroy the world out of whim.

The wizard wants to help the demon lord establish a cult which would most likely please the creature. When the wizard would be sure that the cult provides enough ego-stroking for the demon lord, he could help him to recover his body and resurrect him. Then the demon lord would hopefully take the spectres with him to Abyss and no one would get killed and the wizard would be a rich man. The wizard is certain that without "marketing" the mankind to the demon lord (in form of cults in his name) and assisting him, the world will surely be destroyed sooner or later. Half a million gp in his pocket, some evil cults, his neighborhood kept intact and mankind still alive would be ideal for him. Cults could be destroyed after the dust has settled. He is unsure about his idea, but this is his best bet.

Callin
2013-04-21, 09:17 AM
Neutral Good.

Has no care for who he is working with but is doing it for the right reasons in his mind.

rollforeigninit
2013-04-21, 09:18 AM
I think you are looking at LE honestly. A CN character would probably agree to help and then backstab the Demon Lord set ing as he would value freedom perhaps more than life. Going along with evil for your own profit is definitely evil.

hymer
2013-04-21, 09:23 AM
Since the cult is going to cost lives and send souls the Abyssal way, I'd say definitely Evil, though not of the mad-wizard-wants-doom-to-all-the-world variety. His ability to work with others and with no immediate plan to doublecross anyone, I'd probably peg him at LE. On the other hand, shwoing such cooperation with a CE creature could point in that direction.
Of course, he'd be ready to pounce at any weakness shown along the way. Just like the demon lord.

He might also be neutral, but this whole affair has him sliding into evil territory.

zlefin
2013-04-21, 09:59 AM
I think there's a lot of prospects which could validly act that way; i'd lean to chaotic neutral; making deals with demons is dicey territory and letting them start a cult. It doesn't seem like a likely lawful option;
A true neutral who's just trying to keep himself and his nation alive as best he can would also be possible.

Also, the wizard is stupid; he's trying to deal with a demon lord and come out on the best end of the deal, and his plan is hardly thorough enough to be outsmarting a demon lord; and there's far too many ways for it to go bad; and it depends on questionable assumptions on the demon lord being easy going.

Jon_Dahl
2013-04-21, 11:35 AM
Also, the wizard is stupid; he's trying to deal with a demon lord and come out on the best end of the deal, and his plan is hardly thorough enough to be outsmarting a demon lord; and there's far too many ways for it to go bad; and it depends on questionable assumptions on the demon lord being easy going.

The very idea of someone else resurrecting the demon lord and getting half a million gold pieces entices him. He's not taking huge risks for fun. Everyone knows for a fact that the demon lord has the cash (after sacking the nation) and there are lots of people who are willing to take risks to get a piece of it. When you think of his motives, it's important to take that gold into consideration.

I don't know what I'd do if I could get millions of dollars, and luckily I'm not in a position to find that out.

Lots of good ideas so far, keep them coming!

ericgrau
2013-04-21, 03:06 PM
It seems like there are a lot of assumptions about what the demon lord will do and the whole dilemma smells fishy.

I suspect that it will not turn out the way the wizard wants to at all, the demon lord will not change in the way he wants at all unless he was already going to do such a thing anyway, and by helping the demon lord he will only help the demon lord.

Oh ya, chaotic evil by the way. The fact that there's a reason behind it only makes him not a cartoon character.

Instead of assuming that the demon lord will be your puppet based on how you handle the situation, shadow his moves and go assassinate the other wizards. Openly bargain, maybe. Though I doubt a world destroying demon cares much for anything in that world or he would have thought about getting it already in the past few days of waiting. Or commit suicide if it's truly hopeless. Saying it will turn out the way you say it will cuz you say so doesn't seem likely at all. I give the demon lord 3 seconds before he says "So you're trying to save the humans, eh?"