PDA

View Full Version : Help with Human Cleric of Pelor character

Sparky 076
2013-04-21, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty new to the whole D&D world. I've been playing for a few weeks with some friends and already died 3 times down, so I'm making another character right now. We're playing 3.5e. My character is a max level of 16 as of right now. What I've come up is a level 6 Cleric and level 10 Radiant Servant of Pelor.

We're using the 32 point buy system for our ability points and so far, I have a 14 STR, 12 DEX, 12 CON, 10 INT, 20 WIS, and 18 CHA. I already distributed 4 extra ability points I got from into WIS and CHA, hence why they are both 18 and not 16, also with Spellcasting prodigy, it makes my 18 WIS a 20.

We're about to face off against Shelderon (don't know if I spelt that right), who is a Gargantuan (largest?) red dragon, so we're going to have a long fight ahead of us.

My domains consist of Sun and Healing with Strength being a bonus domain. Are there any better domains for boosting and healing out there?

I was wondering what feats can I take to help me in providing bonuses and healing for my party? Also, are there any feats that will let me react to certain things? Something like attack of opportunity but for casting divine spells or buffs instead?

I already have the following special abilities:
Turn Undead, Extra Greater Turning, Radiance, Divine Health, Empowered Healing, Aura of Warding, Bonus Domain Strength, Maximize Healing, Positive Energy Burst, Supreme Healing and Spontaneous Casting Divine.

Yael
2013-04-21, 01:08 PM
Your Wisdom counts as +2 higher ONLY for casting purposes, so no for will saves and skills.

Feralventas
2013-04-21, 01:30 PM
Augment Healing adds 2x the spell level of Healing (Conjuration) effects.

If you've time to do a bit of research, the Truename rules can potentially let you debuff the target on a successful skill check.

Likewise crafting feats are useful if you've the down-time before you go.

Check out some of the Reserve Feats in Complete Mage and Complete Champion; some of them might prove worthwhile and reduce the rate at which you burn through your prepared spells.

Sparky 076
2013-04-21, 01:31 PM
I will make a side note of that on my character sheet. Thank you. Any tips as to what feats should I take. I'm thinking Extend Spell, persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic, Extra Turning, Augment Healing and Spellcasting Prodigy.

I'm not sure about the last 2 feats... I feel like there are better ones, but I haven't found any yet.

Sparky 076
2013-04-21, 01:37 PM
Augment Healing adds 2x the spell level of Healing (Conjuration) effects.

If you've time to do a bit of research, the Truename rules can potentially let you debuff the target on a successful skill check.

Likewise crafting feats are useful if you've the down-time before you go.

Check out some of the Reserve Feats in Complete Mage and Complete Champion; some of them might prove worthwhile and reduce the rate at which you burn through your prepared spells.

How does Augment Healing at 2x the spell level? If I read it correctly, its like your spell level divided by 2, rounded down, added onto the healing spell. Like me casting Cure Critical would be 4d8+1/level, +1 for the healing domain and +8 for being lvl 16 with this feat.

Also, with Cure Critical, the max is 4d8+20, and I will get +17 right off the bat for being lvl 16 and having the healing domain. So a feat for +3 points of health just... Eh... I think I can find better.

dantiesilva
2013-04-21, 01:50 PM
Just look at my sig. I am playing a DMM persist cleric right now of pelor and he smashes throw any form of evil he comes into contact with. His AC is at 38 until I decided to buff it up with Divine shield. So far I have only died from the DM throwing us against things that were made to kill him. As In a spellthief that went first and stole all my buffs. Against a dragon you should have no problem wining as strength domain throws your str score above kord and you are walking around as a large creature all day. Hitting its AC is easy with all the spells I have persisted all day, and if you use zealous pact you now deal double damage to chaotic evil or lawful evil and auto confirm on crits. throw in stalwart pact for those times when they reduce you to half health and bam you are back in the fight at almost full health. hope this helps some.

Oh wait did I mention he has all useful levels without losing a single caster level. Only 2 real dead levels in the whole build and they are in the first 3 levels.

Sparky 076
2013-04-21, 03:33 PM
Just look at my sig. I am playing a DMM persist cleric right now of pelor and he smashes throw any form of evil he comes into contact with. His AC is at 38 until I decided to buff it up with Divine shield. So far I have only died from the DM throwing us against things that were made to kill him. As In a spellthief that went first and stole all my buffs. Against a dragon you should have no problem wining as strength domain throws your str score above kord and you are walking around as a large creature all day. Hitting its AC is easy with all the spells I have persisted all day, and if you use zealous pact you now deal double damage to chaotic evil or lawful evil and auto confirm on crits. throw in stalwart pact for those times when they reduce you to half health and bam you are back in the fight at almost full health. hope this helps some.

Oh wait did I mention he has all useful levels without losing a single caster level. Only 2 real dead levels in the whole build and they are in the first 3 levels.

The character in your sheet does seem to be pretty good, but it's just too much for me to keep track of right now. Like I said, I'm just now beginning, so having 1 class and one prestige is enough at this moment.

Also, would you happen to know all the resources for cleric spells? I know Player's Handbook (I haven't checked 2 yet), Complete Divine and Spell Compendium, but I'm sure there are others I can refer to for more spells. Any suggestions? Also, what are the main buffs used? Last session, I did Bull's Strength Mass, Bear's Endurance Mass, Aid, Bless, Hero's Feast, Divine Favor, Divine Power and that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

dantiesilva
2013-04-21, 09:22 PM
Holy transformation
Righteous might
divine power
Divine favor
True seeing (trust me when you need it you need it bad)

Besides that it is personal preference.